Reload this Page >

8 hours at Sydney airport

8 hours at Sydney airport

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

akat is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb 8 hours at Sydney airport

Hello nice people,

I am booking my flights to Adelaide (validation trip, yeaa!!) for around Dec 25th. I am flying from US

It seems a lot more cost effective (difference of $400/person * 4) to book up to Sydney and then separately to ADL than to book everything under the same itinerary.
So that's what I plan to do. I land in the morning in SYD and then have about 8 hours till the flight to ADL (everything else is very expensive)

Any thoughts on what to do during this time in SYD with 4 20KG bags and a two year old besides getting BORED?

Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 8 hours at Sydney airport

I had a quick look at the Sydney Airport website and couldn't find all that much to do. I would probably suggest having a small mp3 player (with video) or dvd player and possibly put on some kids movies.

Even though an 8 hour wait really sucks it's a good thing to have when you are booking two separate journeys like that. The problem is that when you book things separately if there is a major delay in LA (assume you're going through there) and you end up missing your flight in Sydney then you're out of luck.

If you buy everything all part of the same journey then they have an obligation to get you to your final destination. When it's split up if you miss your flight in Sydney you miss it, you'd have to purchase a separate one, unless travel insurance covers that sort of thing.

An 8 hour delay should be no problem though and everything should be fine.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:18 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking at the terminal page and it mentions how child friendly it is, but I can't find details....

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL...-Terminal.html

I do know that they have volunteers who work at the airport who are called Gold Jacket volunteers or something, so I would find one of those for some friendly assistance once you get there.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:30 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I'm looking at the terminal page and it mentions how child friendly it is, but I can't find details....

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL...-Terminal.html

I do know that they have volunteers who work at the airport who are called Gold Jacket volunteers or something, so I would find one of those for some friendly assistance once you get there.
If you check out the services and amenities for both terminals the only one that mentions kids play areas is the international terminal.

Unfortunatley they will be clearing customs and picking up luggage and would be spending all the time in the domestic terminal, which doesn't look like it has as much.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:08 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akat
Hello nice people,

I am booking my flights to Adelaide (validation trip, yeaa!!) for around Dec 25th. I am flying from US

It seems a lot more cost effective (difference of $400/person * 4) to book up to Sydney and then separately to ADL than to book everything under the same itinerary.
So that's what I plan to do. I land in the morning in SYD and then have about 8 hours till the flight to ADL (everything else is very expensive)

Any thoughts on what to do during this time in SYD with 4 20KG bags and a two year old besides getting BORED?

Thanks!
God help ya.....it's a dump
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

You will have to go straight through customs, and then on to to the domestic terminal. It's no place to spend 1 hour, let alone 8, especially with kids.

See if you can check your bags in straight away at the domestic terminal, we have done this before but it depends on the airline, and then take the train into the city - go to circular quay and have a bite to eat in the sunshine.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies! (specially 4500 Times's. How useful! )

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
You will have to go straight through customs, and then on to to the domestic terminal. It's no place to spend 1 hour, let alone 8, especially with kids.

See if you can check your bags in straight away at the domestic terminal, we have done this before but it depends on the airline, and then take the train into the city - go to circular quay and have a bite to eat in the sunshine.
I am looking at Virgin's website (for my SYD to ADL). It says -

At most of our ports you can check-in at any time on the day of travel. However, some regional airports only open 90 minutes prior to the scheduled flight time, so to check opening times with the port you’re flying from search airport information.
So looks like I'll try Daydreamer's plan!!
So now, the question is - how to go out, where to go, what to do? Considering we would have been traveling for 30+ hours by then!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Daydreamer - check in your bags if you can, and if you cant then leave them in the left luggage office, I am sure there would be one somewhere then catch the train to Circular Quay and have a coffee in the sunshine. The terminal would be too boring for words
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:47 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be flying in international and using a domestic flight to Adelaide - are you able to get the bags transferred straight through at all.

If you are flying on domestically you will need to change terminals from international and therefore you will only have the domestic terminal and there is nothing there for children apart from a Burger King outlet. You will need to check but I am not sure you would be able to wait inside the International section (after customs) as there again is not much around for children in the standard reception areas.

I would suggest if this is the case put your luggage into storage for a few hours and get a taxi into Darling Harbour or Circular Quay. Look up Darling harbour on the net and the parks and play areas there and you will find you could spend a good couple of hours there with the little ones. You could then consider a water taxi round to Circular Quay that way you will come under the Harbour Bridge and round to the Opera House - pretty spectacular. There is then either the Park upside of the Opera House or the Rocks area on the other side to walk and shop/eat/drink.

The taxi into the city will be around the $40 mark each way but much more interesting than spending 8 hours in a dismal airport.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Doing some sight seeing might sound like fun but to be honest that's the last thing we felt like doing after making the journey.

A better plan might be to check in to a nearby hotel, there are some within about 5 minutes of the airport. Get as much sleep as you can even if it's just 4 hours or so. It really depends on how you feel when you land, although you'll probably feel fine for an hour or two. When we did we landed with our kids we were asleep within 30 minutes or so of getting into the hotel room.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by comet555
If you check out the services and amenities for both terminals the only one that mentions kids play areas is the international terminal.

Unfortunatley they will be clearing customs and picking up luggage and would be spending all the time in the domestic terminal, which doesn't look like it has as much.
Of course, I didn't consider that.
Thanks.

I agree, dump the luggage and get a snooze. Kids are going to be cream crackered but some entertainment at the Quay would be a nicer thing to do too.

Good luck with it. I think the most I've ever had to wait with children was about 4 hours. Stretches your immagination on entertainment to the absolute limit!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the inputs guys (and gals)

With your inputs, I think I am going to try and get a connection to ADL with a shorter layover (4 hour-ish)!!
We are anyways going to be in SYD for 4-5 days before we fly back to LA to check SYD out.

So besides how to travel between T1 (international) and T2 (domestic), I think I have got this stretch of the trip sorted out in my mind!
Regarding travel between Terminals, I am surprised that they charge for inter terminal travel! But the charge aside, any preferences? Rail, Bus, Taxi? (With lots of baggage that I would be carrying?)

Thanks again!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:25 am

With your inputs, I think I am going to try and get a connection to ADL with a shorter layover (4 hour-ish)!!
We are anyways going to be in SYD for 4-5 days before we fly back to LA to check SYD out.

So besides how to travel between T1 (international) and T2 (domestic), I think I have got this stretch of the trip sorted out in my mind!
Regarding travel between Terminals, I am surprised that they charge for inter terminal travel! But the charge aside, any preferences? Rail, Bus, Taxi? (With lots of baggage that I would be carrying?)

Thanks again!
Rail or Taxi, but you need a taxi with child seats so would need to pre book unless you're lucky....
The rail link is good... but expensive~!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

A 4 hour delay would be better although I'd be careful about missing your connection. If you have your flights booked separately and say there's a delay of 2 hours or so it could mean you miss your flight in Sydney. I would call the airline in Sydney to find out what happens.

There should not be any major delays but you never know.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!
All depends on who you are travelling with - I have never paid to transfer in either direction but that is because I fly with Qantas. If both legs are with them then you just get on the bus after you have checked in your luggage at the international terminal for your domestic departure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.