Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

Good. That'll mean there will be more Irn Bru, Yorkies and Tunnocks wafers available at Coles/Woolies for the rest of us!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That is definitely also a major factor for us, the proximity to Europe, the US and many other places and the cheapness of travelling to those places. That isn't to say I haven't enjoyed my many many years in this country of course.

Originally Posted by sheene
No real plans to return in the very near future - but it will happen. Why? Geography - just feel too isolated here, too disconnected from the hub.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Goodbye housing shortage and welcome cheap properties
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:16 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Since the very early days of immigration into Australia about 50% of the total has left again...and guess what? 50% of THOSE come back to Australia.

Nothing changes really.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Budawang
However, given the dismal economic prospects of Europe/UK it might be a short-sighted move.
I agree.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cubeonly
I agree.
If Europe goes to shit then a few months later Australia will go to shit as well. Europe is China's largest overseas market if it goes down China goes down and Australians will get to realise why borrowing huge sums of money to buy the most expensive housing in the world is a bad idea. That's why I'm back in the UK well that and being on vastly more money than I was on in Australia.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Since the very early days of immigration into Australia about 50% of the total has left again...and guess what? 50% of THOSE come back to Australia.

Nothing changes really.
It was never as high as 50 per cent, more like 25 - 35 per cent at most, although 50 per cent (at least) of those who do go back to the UK, change their minds again and return to OZ, usually permanently.

The 7,000 per year now is NOT rising and more and more Brits are NOT returning to the UK, however much the few disgruntled ones want it to be so.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

Nothing changes really.
I'm genuinely interested, do 50% returnees become ping poms? Where is this statistical data from please?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toodlepip
I'm genuinely interested, do 50% returnees become ping poms? Where is this statistical data from please?
I would consider that rather difficult considering nowhere near that number ping pong.Those that do or have thoughts of wanting to do so would it could be argued are more prone to come onto such forums.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by toodlepip
Fifty percent of the people that go back become Ping Pong Poms, yes, but remember that the '50 percent' is is not half of the actual number who migrate originally, but half of the QUARTER of the original migrants who decide to go back.

Ten Pound Poms follows the journeys of nine Britons who took the gamble of migrating to Australia in the post-war years. They were part of one of the largest planned migrations of the 20th century - the White Australia Policy - designed to provide enough Anglo-Saxon manpower for the burgeoning Australian economy.

Hoping to escape post-war rationing and class-bound British society,over one million Britons migrated to Australia in the thirty years following World War 2. They boarded luxury liners and aeroplanes to the promised land, anticipating ready employment and their own freestanding home in sunny Australia within six months. The only catch was that all assisted migrants had to stay for a minimum of two years - or pay the full fare for a passage home.

Over one quarter of the 'Ten Pound Poms' fled home, escaping 'Pommy bashing' and resentment from Australians for 'job stealing', and craving the hustle and bustle of Europe. But nearly half of the 250,000 Brits who returned to the UK sailed back to Australia again after reassessing England, thus becoming known as the "Boomerang Poms". Many learnt to appreciate the space, good food, healthy lifestyle and free tertiary educational opportunities in Australia - a brand new country where they could be a completely different person in a class-free society.

Narrated by Australian actor and 'Ten Pound Pom' John Waters (All Saints), this classic one-hour social history documentary traces the fascinating story of the 'Ten Pound Poms' and their families from the post-war era through to the 1960s, interviewing nine original British migrants. Which country would finally claim the heart of each of these Ten Pound Poms

There you are - Over one million 'Ten Pound Poms' emigrated and 250,000 went back but nearly half of them went back to OZ again.

There's no reason to assume that the figures have changed much to the present day. 7,000 go back out of, maybe 28,000 - can't remember where i saw those figures but they sound about right.

Just look through the various posts on this forum and compare the numbers of people who are in the process of migrating with the numbers intending to go back.

Last edited by saveme; Nov 9th 2011 at 6:54 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud of

Perhaps one of the 7000 Brits leaving Australia would like to swap with me then. Seems like the whole world wants to move somewhere else. Oh well, have to wait until I retire to grace your shores.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Yilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud of

Perhaps one of the 7000 Brits leaving Australia would like to swap with me then ? Oh well, have to wait until I retire to grace your shores.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
If Europe goes to shit then a few months later Australia will go to shit as well. Europe is China's largest overseas market if it goes down China goes down and Australians will get to realise why borrowing huge sums of money to buy the most expensive housing in the world is a bad idea. That's why I'm back in the UK well that and being on vastly more money than I was on in Australia.
Australian mortgage amounts are very similar to the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We know a few boomerang poms.

I am amused at these programmes and threads and other info on who is going back, going back does not mean Australia is a failure its an inanimate object.

Just imagine if all of us in Aus, Canada and the US decided yep we have had enough and decided to return home, where would UK be then, swamped.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
Australian mortgage amounts are very similar to the UK.
Not for me though and that's what counts. To have the same lifestyle in Sydney that I have in London I would have much more debt as a multiple of my salary than I have now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.