Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:57 am
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice
Default 7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

I may have missed this further down the board, please forgive me if this is the case.

Media here reporting that the numbers of Poms returning home are rapidly on the increase due to the spiralling cost of living down under.

Now we all know that many return anyway as a consequence of family / friends / job opportunities etc etc but the cost of living argument is a fairly recent phenomena?

I know when we left Perth in Feb '09 drinks prices and food were going off the scale, new homes were at frankly ridiculous levels and things were generally on the rise. I'm presuming it's getting worse?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:00 am
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice
Default Re: 7,000 Brits leaving Oz for the UK ...

7,000 Brits leaving OZ for the UK ... Per Year, should have been the title!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Squire of Onchan
I may have missed this further down the board, please forgive me if this is the case.

Media here reporting that the numbers of Poms returning home are rapidly on the increase due to the spiralling cost of living down under.

Now we all know that many return anyway as a consequence of family / friends / job opportunities etc etc but the cost of living argument is a fairly recent phenomena?

I know when we left Perth in Feb '09 drinks prices and food were going off the scale, new homes were at frankly ridiculous levels and things were generally on the rise. I'm presuming it's getting worse?
Yeah, been done before http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737472

Interesting article on the BE front page... http://britishexpats.com/news/latest...cancel-return/
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct squire,very expensive.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I believe another reason is the return to UK of the ageing UK born population. The average age being 52 plus in the 06 census. A close relative's wife returned to England at the ripe of age of eighty,after his death not long ago. A few of her friends a little younger had returned over the preceeding ten years.

Besides that costs without doubt play a part as well as getting a decent job and by that I don't mean as a high paid casual with no job security.
I wouldn't come over here these days unless was in a few areas in high demand or escaping from a sink estate perhaps.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 10:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Plus a great exchange rate to go back. Yes it's getting worse, can't remember the last time we went out for a meal. Never go to pubs 'cos I can't afford the $8-10 pints.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the massive drop in the pound and the relative strength of the housing market in Australia would be the biggest influence. Many medium/long term immigrants have made a lot of money on housing so many would be tempted to sell up and buy a place for cash/low mtge in the UK thanks to the dud pound atm.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from utilities a lot is actually getting better where I am recently (brisbane)...consumer stuff cheaper, some consumables down and the major expense, houses, are significantly cheaper. Still not cheap though by any means.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget inflation is currently higher in the UK and wages growth is lower.

Nonetheless, bargain basement Britain must be tempting when you're sitting on a pile of Aussie equity - an opportunity to move a rung or two up the class ladder.

However, given the dismal economic prospects of Europe/UK it might be a short-sighted move.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Plus a great exchange rate to go back. Yes it's getting worse, can't remember the last time we went out for a meal. Never go to pubs 'cos I can't afford the $8-10 pints.
+ the extra 13% we are being slugged with in school fees next year!!! Wouldn't like your bill mate with 3 of them!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyc88 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think the massive drop in the pound and the relative strength of the housing market in Australia would be the biggest influence. Many medium/long term immigrants have made a lot of money on housing so many would be tempted to sell up and buy a place for cash/low mtge in the UK thanks to the dud pound atm.
This.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Brucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Budawang
Don't forget inflation is currently higher in the UK and wages growth is lower.

Nonetheless, bargain basement Britain must be tempting when you're sitting on a pile of Aussie equity - an opportunity to move a rung or two up the class ladder.

However, given the dismal economic prospects of Europe/UK it might be a short-sighted move.
If Europe and Britain go down the swanny (as looks more likely every passing day), it wont matter whether you live in Australia or UK. No european demand = big drop in chinese exports = serious slow down in Chinese economy. One place I definitley dont want to be when China's inevitable slowdown comes is Australia, beaches or no beaches
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saving a fortune in Oz. If HSBC go under I'm stuffed
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I can of course only comment on our individual situation, our reasons for returning to England are many and varied. I have been offered an extremely good business opportunity BUT the offer came after we had made the decision to return so it wasn't a factor but a huge bonus. The exchange rate is a factor but not the main one by any means, again it is a bonus. The cost of living has increased enormously here in recent years, I'm not really sure why but whereas this country used to much cheaper than the UK it is now the opposite and this has nothing to do with exchange rates. Given that the cheap lifestyle by and large doesn't exist anymore I can understand many returning.

Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:45 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

No real plans to return in the very near future - but it will happen. Why? Geography - just feel too isolated here, too disconnected from the hub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.