5 Things

Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

PaulC259 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 Things

We are in the throws of getting ready for our move to QLD in the new year and I just wondered from those of you already down-under...

What 5 things do you wish you'd bought in the UK before you moved to Auz?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: 5 Things

Originally Posted by PaulC259
We are in the throws of getting ready for our move to QLD in the new year and I just wondered from those of you already down-under...

What 5 things do you wish you'd bought in the UK before you moved to Auz?
everything
everything
everything
everything
everything
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:39 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

On a previous thread lots of people said to bring bedding as apparently it's expensive to get anything remotely decent in Oz. Also for some reason, whirlagigs!!

Have a search of the board, there's huge thread on what people wish they'd brought and would recommend others to bring.

good luck!

Therese
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
On a previous thread lots of people said to bring bedding as apparently it's expensive to get anything remotely decent in Oz. Also for some reason, whirlagigs!!

Have a search of the board, there's huge thread on what people wish they'd brought and would recommend others to bring.

good luck!

Therese
Yes I would have bought a whirlagig if I knew what one was ???

Buzzy
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes I would have bought a whirlagig if I knew what one was ???

Buzzy
If you have one bring it! (wot the hell is a whirligig?)
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:51 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

one of those washing lines that spin around!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Hi there,
A useful question which (as someone has pointed out, has a thread somewhere on the site). For my own use I spent a bit of time compiling info from the threads (and gave up as too much info) but here is what I have so far.

1. good quality underwear
2. socks
3. towels
4. electric heaters
5. computers
6. mobile handset
7. chocolate
8. 2 in 1 shampoo
9. suits
10. comfortable shoes
11. good vacuum cleaner/hoover
12. good duvets
13. men’s plain cotton shirts
14. men’s suits
15. Heinz tomato soup
16. Ibuprofen/paracetamol
17. coat hangers ?
18. clothes tumble dryer
19. books
20. kettle
21. iron
22. hot water bottles
23. scarves and gloves
24. Ultra sanitary towels
25. Kids t shirts – good quality
26. beside tables
27. lamps
28. food processor
29. china and kitchen equipment
Would anyone like to continue this?

Having done this I think I should point out that people are very different and having moved alot over different continents it depends on how attached you are to your whirlmajigs etc and whether you are ready to adapt to what is available in your host country. Me thinks "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and make do with whatever the country has to offer. Australia is a developed country so I doubt if it will be too hard to get most things a Brit would want.

Ciao
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybee
Hi there,
A useful question which (as someone has pointed out, has a thread somewhere on the site). For my own use I spent a bit of time compiling info from the threads (and gave up as too much info) but here is what I have so far.

9. suits
14. men’s suits
15. Heinz tomato soup
19. books

Would anyone like to continue this?
Everything I have removed from that list is easily purchased here, very good quality. The stuff I've left I have no idea about but would imagine any Australians viewing might have a word or two to say about those.

Originally Posted by honeybee
Having done this I think I should point out that people are very different and having moved alot over different continents it depends on how attached you are to your whirlmajigs etc and whether you are ready to adapt to what is available in your host country. Me thinks "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and make do with whatever the country has to offer. Australia is a developed country so I doubt if it will be too hard to get most things a Brit would want.

Ciao
Yay, common sense at last.

This is in no way meant to be insulting to anyone. I am just totally gobsmacked that people say these things are unobtainable or crap here. They are either a) thick or b) lazy and can't be arsed to find the stuff.

The only problem I have found is having to search the shops that have the stuff but that's only because the shops are different obviously and you have to get used to the new ones.

Australia is a well developed country. Contrary to what some people say, Australians are, in the main, intelligent and would be highly offended to hear some of the nonsense spoken on here about the unavailability of good quality coathangers or duvets etc. Kettles they sell a plenty believe it or not

Bring stuff you think will help you settle in. Whether that is all your furniture or your favourite brand of washing powder, bring what you want but bear in mind at some point in the future, anything you bring will need replacing and then, horrors, you'll go and buy Australian and you never know, you may like the stuff and in some instances find it better than the UK equivalent.

It's all cool people
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

9. suits
14. men’s suits
15. Heinz tomato soup
19. books

You could even remove most of the remainder of the list!

Suits and shirts (even plain ones ) are sold in all the usual places. What do people think that guys here wear to the office? They look much the same as their UK counterparts in suits, shirts and ties - and they certainly don't all go overseas to buy them.

Heinz sell soup here too - they even have tomato, believe it or not.

I managed to fit my kids out in t-shirts with no trouble and no shrinkage.

The only things that I would say are worth bringing are books (not that we don't have books here) but they're apparantly cheaper in the UK.

No idea what's special about Ultra sanitary pads. If you can't live without them, then bring them...
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
9. suits
14. men’s suits
15. Heinz tomato soup
19. books

You could even remove most of the remainder of the list!

Suits and shirts (even plain ones ) are sold in all the usual places. What do people think that guys here wear to the office? They look much the same as their UK counterparts in suits, shirts and ties - and they certainly don't all go overseas to buy them.

Heinz sell soup here too - they even have tomato, believe it or not.

I managed to fit my kids out in t-shirts with no trouble and no shrinkage.

The only things that I would say are worth bringing are books (not that we don't have books here) but they're apparantly cheaper in the UK.

No idea what's special about Ultra sanitary pads. If you can't live without them, then bring them...
Tomato soup - tastes crap here. But all you need to do is add cream and it tastes just like UK cream of tomato soup (funny that eh? )

Ultra Sanitary towels equivalent is Libra.

Books - there's always some cheap ones about if you look for them in places other than the big book shops. Or there's always e-bay.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't like to remove everything. Thought that would be rude Not bought mens shirts or suits but I've seen plenty of blokes looking smart in them and they can't all have been over to Singapore to have them made.

Sanitary products? Must admit it took me a while to find stuff that I was comfortable with but it's all good. Let's face it, Aussie women do have periods

Books I get when Kmart and Big W have their regular sales and believe me I have a lot of books.

Heinz anything makes me heave to be honest. Baked beans and tomato soup are rank in whatever country.

Kids tee shirts - I have no idea. Two girls of 12 and 15 are definitely not interested in any shirts other than Supre or Valley Girl etc.

I still can't get over the coathangers and duvets. And what's the crack with kettles
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I still can't get over the coathangers and duvets. And what's the crack with kettles
Coathangers - you don't get them given when you buy something. Of course they do sell them, so it's not like you will have to pile your clothes up on the floor or anything. Or if you ask for the hangers, they will more than not give you them.

Duvets - apparantly they aren't thick enough here for the freezing cold winters. I tackled that problem by buying a massive fleecy throw - works a treat and is as warm as toast.

Kettles - Didn't someone once say they went all white inside or something I think that's when the ' you need to bring your kettle cos they are crap here ' comment started.

Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Wendy
Coathangers - you don't get them given when you buy something. Of course they do sell them, so it's not like you will have to pile your clothes up on the floor or anything. Or if you ask for the hangers, they will more than not give you them.

Duvets - apparantly they aren't thick enough here for the freezing cold winters. I tackled that problem by buying a massive fleecy throw - works a treat and is as warm as toast.

Kettles - Didn't someone once say they went all white inside or something I think that's when the ' you need to bring your kettle cos they are crap here ' comment started.

But the coathangers you are given in the UK are fairly rubbish anyway, or they wouldn't give them away

I had to get the girls new duvets because they got bigger beds. There was stacks of thickness choice, most I had to ignore because they'd have been way to hot up here.

Kettles, what from limescale? We don't have limescale here, but it was terrible in the UK. Some people worry about the strangest things
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

There is one thing I really wish I'd shipped and that was my convection, grill microwave it was brilliant and the equivalent over here is very expensive.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:42 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I'm going to miss my leather reclining armchair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.