1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by 77hil
It's not a competition mate.
I know, but claiming you had to get straight to work because of the state of the pound really doesn't hang together.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I know, but claiming you had to get straight to work because of the state of the pound really doesn't hang together.
Crikey! mine was only a light hearted comment

I didn't really have to start work because of the pound and had planned a bit of a holiday before starting. The real reason I stared work soon after arriving was simply that the job asked me to, I actually brought my trip forward by a few weeks to accomodate them.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littda01
Good luck with it, didn't mean to be over-depressing
Thanks. You only said it the way that it is

Originally Posted by freebo
Thats how it turned out for me, 5 days after landing I started work, and had about 3 days off since (in the last 6 months), still we've now broken even and have even saved up a few dollars, considering converting them to pounds...or maybe not!

You could always look on the bright side, the Australian economy appears to be booming right now, when the high interest rates start hurting the consumer will be interesting, but they're great if you're a saver.
Well done on breaking even , save those $$$$ for me

I don't think my wife and I will begin work as quickly as you were able to, we have to find the jobs first so there'll be no time to chill . Going back to work quickly is the only way to turn the negative situation into a positive one.

Your decision to buy gold many months ago was a wise move . I missed that opportunity but oh well
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

Your decision to buy gold many months ago was a wise move . I missed that opportunity but oh well

I started 2 years ago buying Gold & Silver. Depending on your time horizon its not too late, although I'd tread carefully for now - the currentl rally is due a pause/pullback short term (I'm still buying gradually).

I fully agree with Mr Renth on this one - all paper currencies are going to zero - albeit at different times. Today I saw a banner on Sky News - Global Currency Wars, wonder if Australia will ever have to intervene as this is one war that we're currently loosing - and it could start to hurt!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo

I started 2 years ago buying Gold & Silver. Depending on your time horizon its not too late, although I'd tread carefully for now - the currentl rally is due a pause/pullback short term (I'm still buying gradually).

I fully agree with Mr Renth on this one - all paper currencies are going to zero - albeit at different times. Today I saw a banner on Sky News - Global Currency Wars, wonder if Australia will ever have to intervene as this is one war that we're currently loosing - and it could start to hurt!
It's a tough call to know what to do right now. In a little over 7 weeks my family and I will be arriving there. We transferred some modest funds months ago to test the Ozforex system. It worked fine and now some larger amounts need to be transferred but at 1.62?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tough call to know what to do right now. In a little over 7 weeks my family and I will be arriving there. We transferred some modest funds months ago to test the Ozforex system. It worked fine and now some larger amounts need to be transferred but at 1.62?

So many people move back/on from OZ after a few years anyway, so why not just bring the bare minimum and rent.

Drive a bomb car, probably still expensive in OZ just live as on a working hol for 2 years, in that time the exchange rate might have reversed or you'll feel like many, been there done that or too bloody expensive, isolated etc etc and be heading to greener pastures anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
So many people move back/on from OZ after a few years anyway, so why not just bring the bare minimum and rent.

Drive a bomb car, probably still expensive in OZ just live as on a working hol for 2 years, in that time the exchange rate might have reversed or you'll feel like many, been there done that or too bloody expensive, isolated etc etc and be heading to greener pastures anyway.
Put another record on for God's sake. We know Australia didn't work out for you, but some of these people are really excited about their new adventure and don't need you dumping on them all the time.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who was advised that a couple of years back by a lot of people on here. So that's what they did.

They are now sat in Australia with all their money in the UK wishing they'd have exchanged it all when it was $2+ per pound. They have no intention of going back, but they're sat here renting and now can't afford to buy anything near what they originally could have bought.

Don't envy you your decision Paul. Hope that whatever it is it works out the best for you.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Put another record on for God's sake. We know Australia didn't work out for you, but some of these people are really excited about their new adventure and don't need you dumping on them all the time.

Your a well balanced aussie - chip on both shoulders

My advice to P is valid, and advice that could save him hundreds of thou in currency roulette, its also probably the safest route at the present time.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Your a well balanced aussie - chip on both shoulders

My advice to P is valid, and advice that could save him hundreds of thou in currency roulette, its also probably the safest route at the present time.
No your advice is not valid. It is biased and subjective and derived from your own failure to get on in Australia. Also, you are hardly qualified to be offering new immigrants forex advice, unless you know something the rest of us do not about the global economy.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Another thing I did, both moving to the US and to Aus, is leave your money in GBP for time being, and then use your cards to pay for stuff here. I found the rates I got were actually pretty competitive on the whole, and this has the upside of naturally hedging the exchange risk.

Be careful though - when I moved to the Us, I used HBOS own forex services and the rates were very good. But after the GFC, the sneaky b**tards started increasing their margins big time because of the volatility in the forex markets. It took me a couple of transfers before I realised this. It wouldnt surprise me if they now do the same with card transactions, seeing as they're feeling free to crank rates across the board to squeeze customers.

Finally, transfer your money incrementally. Just another way to hedge risk.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy

I know someone who was advised that a couple of years back by a lot of people on here. So that's what they did.

They are now sat in Australia with all their money in the UK wishing they'd have exchanged it all when it was $2+ per pound. They have no intention of going back, but they're sat here renting and now can't afford to buy anything near what they originally could have bought.

I guess making life changing decisions on advice from random people on forums has its hazards. Its up to the punter in the end.

House prices and currency rates cant be predicted by anyone, not even experts, I would assume most people realise that and dont take any advice as gospel

Through this forum weve been offered help by an immigration consultant that went broke his fee would have been $8000, and offered a job on a TWP, those who took that job offer were put off a few months after they got there.

Luckily I made my own decision to stay in OZ, watch property and currency rates rise, got the kids to finish school and applied for a totally different more secure visa.

Its a forum, you could be getting advice from a naked gorilla for all you know, fun, sometimes useful, but unlikely the poster has correct info on where markets will be in 2 years time
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No your advice is not valid. It is biased and subjective and derived from your own failure to get on in Australia. Also, you are hardly qualified to be offering new immigrants forex advice, unless you know something the rest of us do not about the global economy.
It's actually pretty sensible advice
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You just like trolling my posts, if I posted kangaroos can be brown or red or grey you would post they are pink, I think its you OZ hasnt worked out for your bitter and unlike me, stuck here Enjoy, but bog off popping up in every thread your like chewing gum.

Pauly no doubt will weigh up everyones suggestions and has the intelligence to realise nobody has a crystal ball
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess making life changing decisions on advice from random people on forums has its hazards. Its up to the punter in the end.

House prices and currency rates cant be predicted by anyone, not even experts, I would assume most people realise that and dont take any advice as gospel

Through this forum weve been offered help by an immigration consultant that went broke his fee would have been $8000, and offered a job on a TWP, those who took that job offer were put off a few months after they got there.

Luckily I made my own decision to stay in OZ, watch property and currency rates rise, got the kids to finish school and applied for a totally different more secure visa.

Its a forum, you could be getting advice from a naked gorilla for all you know, fun, sometimes useful, but unlikely the poster has correct info on where markets will be in 2 years time
It's not an easy choice is it. I'm glad we didn't really have the choice - we had to bring all our money because we didn't have a lot, and we couldn't really keep anything back for if we wanted to return if it didn't work out, because we didn't have the cash for that either. For us it was a definite all or nothing - which I think pushed us to just get on with it really. Luckily we all love living here, and we have better paying jobs to go with it all. I know that not everyone is so lucky.

Have to say that I like the idea of getting advice from a naked gorilla Could be an improvement in some regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.