IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "1 in a 100 year slump"

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not really true. Of Australia's key commodity exports:
Iron ore - price went up 85-95% last month
Coking Coal - price went up 300% this year
LNG - price is varying but is near record highs
Gold - price is near record highs
I work in mining supply. Quite incredible what is happening. China is the key and how China reacts to slump in its key export markets. The olympics has had some bizarre impacts on pricing. There have been some blanket bans on mining which has sent the price of coal and iron ore through the roof. They have also put tarrifs on my industry's key ingredient, AN, to reserve domestic supply. This has also artificially boosted world prices.

What amazed me is that despite the record prices some mines are losing money because of record costs. Kalgoorlie's super pit is the main one.

For those of us in the industry life is sweet. I feel sorry for the poor feckers not benefitting from it which is why NSW has shown increased unemployment despite huge coal production.

What will really put things in the mixer is when China has its first slump. The inevitability of the economic cycle is as certain as death and taxes. It is probably the only aspect of economics economists all agree on and every economy has gone through. It is a pity they are as good at predicting the slumps as a seismologist is at predicting an earthquake.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article from Newscom but not surprising I personally have been expecting property prices to crash, hope they don't, but if the US is not buying our small population can not take up the slack from China.

http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...97-14327,00.ht
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:02 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Interesting article from Newscom but not surprising I personally have been expecting property prices to crash, hope they don't, but if the US is not buying our small population can not take up the slack from China.

http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...97-14327,00.ht
Page not found?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Page not found?
http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...-14327,00.html