Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all
Default Re: ** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Big Ape have u spent time in Perth then apart from a holiday ?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Melbourne when I lived there was just like living in London, tons of stuff to do, great shops, food, pubs and people. But it also has the same weather as London, maybe a little warmer in summer, but not much different. Depends what you're after really, big city life or laid back sunny Australian life of Perth?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:05 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stewmac
Big Ape have u spent time in Perth then apart from a holiday ?
A lot of friends who live there, all scrambling to get out

My point is that Melbourne is FAR from an "indoor" place and rest assured we get our fair share of great weather.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:13 am
Just Joined

pepys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mulben
Perth
Better no cost activities
ie BBQ weather
Seaside (not bayside) beaches
Better over all climate
More like a large country town for junior sport(participation )

Melbourne
Way better for activities that cost
Eating out
Shopping hours
Shopping Centres
Sport (watching)

If your life style is more outdoors than indoors Perth would meet your requirements but that's not saying Melbourne wouldn't .
When we lived in Perth the whole place seemed to close down at 5pm on Saturday afternoons and not reopen again until Monday. Coming from Melbourne we found this hard to accept and, one Sunday early on in our stay, drove out into the burbs in search of a large shopping complex. We found one; ample parking, many stores, multi-screen cinema, and shut! Thus every Saturday afternoon shopping trip had that panicked 'stocking up' feeling you only get before a public holiday in Melbourne.

Perth's a pleasant enough place but after a month I was counting the days until we could head back east. Don't forget it is officially the world's most isolated city. Every bus driver we encountered was a British Expat too. Whether that's a good or a bad thing I'll let you decide.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigAPE
A lot of friends who live there, all scrambling to get out

My point is that Melbourne is FAR from an "indoor" place and rest assured we get our fair share of great weather.
So you cant make an assumption then ,cheerio and GTF
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:29 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noocat

- fantastic shopping with shops open all the time.
I agree Melbourne, but fantastic shopping?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:37 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

My 7 year old son and I just cycled 23km into the City all along the beach cycle path, had lunch on the Southbank by the river with all the music and artists then took the train home.

What a STUNNING city Melbourne is.
Sounds awesome! Did he whinge at all?

Always wanted to cycle the beach rd.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:45 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

So you cant make an assumption then ,cheerio and GTF
GTF ?

My views on Melbourne are not an "assumption". It's fact and the city is being grossly misrepresented by several posters. Perth is sunnier for sure, but claiming that has a "better" outdoors lifestyle is nonsense.

Originally Posted by fraser
Sounds awesome! Did he whinge at all?

Always wanted to cycle the beach rd.
Nope, he was awesome. Finn was egging me on the whole way, in fact I was planning on calling it quits in St Kilda.

This is the proof he wanted that he had made it all the way

Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=bigAPE;7127541]GTF ?

My views on Melbourne are not an "assumption". It's fact and the city is being grossly misrepresented by several posters.

The assumption was in reply to Perth was Dull ,which was your inital reply ,nothin to do with Melbourne being a rave cave
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:49 am

Nope, he was awesome. Finn was egging me on the whole way, in fact I was planning on calling it quits in St Kilda.

This is the proof he wanted that he had made it all the way

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/...c9225713ee.jpg
Tell him I said well done
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: ** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Perth
Better NO COST activities, ie BBQ weather
Perth has more sunshine hours than Melbourne so you should get more time
to BBQ or what ever.
Rubbish, Melbourne heaps of zero cost activities here for couple and families
Seaside (not bayside) beaches
So what, we have Bayside with stunning beaches and awesome Beaches on the sea which we visit every other weekend=cost to travel for surf
Better over all climate
Possibly, depends if you like snow and skiing in the winter=in Melbourne?
More like a LARGE COUNTRY TOWN for junior sport (participation)
Melbourne has TONS of Junior sports. My boys compete in U9's Aussie rules and U12's Cricket at league level. It's a HUGE thing here
Not in my wildest dreams would I compare Melbourne with a country town

Im not putting Melbourne down but its a big city Perth is not. As my post said
no cost ,which means not travelling hours to get any where be it surf or snow
which are both close to Melbourne but not in it.
Entertainment is well catered for in both cities but generally its not free.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:53 am
No Clean Feed

The assumption was in reply to Perth was Dull ,which was your inital reply ,nothin to do with Melbourne being a rave cave
So Perth isn't dull ? I must say that the greater number of Expats and Aussie I know refer to the city in that way, granted this is mainly after living in Melbourne.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

No its not dull what u make of it and leave the thread to people who have been on both sides or can offer constructive advice to the people asking and stop waffling on about somethin u personally know nothin about ,ya warmer
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:02 am
No Clean Feed

I'm not putting Melbourne down but its a big city Perth is not.
Sorry but your post was misrepresenting Melbourne which while being a "big city" certainly doesn't feel like it if your 10 minutes from the centre. Certainly nothing like Sydney.

As my post said no cost, which means not travelling hours to get any where be it surf or snow which are both close to Melbourne but not in it. Entertainment is well catered for in both cities but generally its not free.
Granted you might have to travel a couple of hours to the snow and an hour to the sea (depending on where you are), but skiing and surfing are not the only sports or outdoor hobbies people do here. There are plenty of NO COST things to do in Melbourne. We have been doing them all day. We spent the weekend at Lake Eppalock waterskiing, kneeboarding, Kangaroo spotting at night in 4X4's, all day cycling the bayside today and lunching on the beach and in the city (yes we had to pay for the food and drink, but I'm sure they have this in Perth too). The other half of the family spent their day on the beach (again all free) and tomorrow we may well go to the beach again, but the choices are endless.

It's like all cities, if you want entertainment some of it will cost and some won't. Given the massive number of events, and the amount which are free, here in Melbourne then I would suggest that on sheer volume alone there would be more free stuff to do here, entertainment wise.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Melbourne ... has the same weather as London, maybe a little warmer in summer, but not much different.
This is an overstatement.

Melbourne's average maximum in July (winter) is 13 degrees while London's average max. in January (winter) is 7. Melbourne's average maximum in January (summer) is 26 while London's average max. in July (summer) is 23.

Sure, Melbourne can get rather grey at times in winter, the nights are cold, and there is the odd cold snap. But that's because it's a proper winter. Even so, it's a lot sunnier than London at any time of the year, and the variety of weather extremes in Melbourne is part of what makes it an interesting place to live.

Right now, we are having day after day of almost cloudless skies and temperatures in the mid to high twenties with overnight temps at a comfortable 12 to 14. Perfect in my opinion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.