Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:05 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Originally Posted by stewmac
No its not dull what u make of it and leave the thread to people who have been on both sides or can offer constructive advice to the people asking and stop waffling on about somethin u personally know nothin about ,ya warmer
Someone needs a ice cold enema and a chill pill

I personally know enough about Melbourne to know that the negative comments on here are mostly unfounded. So GTF ya warmer and other colourful and unintelligible drivel
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Apologies to the Colebecks who did ask for advice from people who have lived in both or even visited both it seems once again "whingein pom syndrome" has arrived again and threads have been hijacked by people talkin about what other people have said ,feel free to pm me for any info on either city
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigAPE
unintelligible drivel
Stick to watchin RAB C Nesbitt

Once again rise to the bait same as Britvics !!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:10 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Stick to watchin RAB C Nesbitt
I did watch it the other night. Very funny. The bit where he's on the table was tear inducing. Not much on the old episodes though

Once again rise to the bait same as Britvics !!
I'm hot, sweaty, sunburnt and a tired. Of course I am Wishing it would rain tomorrow to cool me off. Sorry if I jumped at you
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

no problem
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to the Colebecks who did ask for advice from people who have lived in both or even visited both it seems once again "whingein pom syndrome" has arrived again and threads have been hijacked by people talkin about what other people have said ,feel free to pm me for any info on either city

Wish I'd put a bet on how many posts it would take before someone wrote "isolated"

To the OP: your first and major thought should be where is it easier to get work, as without work you're buggered.... also if I were you I'd do a reccie to Melbourne before you make the decision, it'll give YOU a better idea rather than basing everything on biased views and the usual predictable Melbourne is fab, Perth and WA are dull as dishwater... and isolated.

FWIW we absolutely love living in WA and having made a trip to Sydney a couple of years ago (which was also a consideration) can categorically say for us we made the best choice.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying Perth isn't isolated Bridie? My atlas may argue with you

Also....the people who rave on about "the outdoor life style" Personally after a week of 38 degree days then not going much under 30 for about 3 months I was so over the heat, I couldn't be bothered to do anything and don't get me started on the flys!

A cooler climate wins hands down IMHO, HOWEVER don't be fooled into thinking Melbourne is always cold and wet....do your reasearch first

I conceed with Big Ape, there is heaps and heaps in and around Melly thats free and easy to get to. BUT its not for everyone and FWIW I love W/A
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
So are you saying Perth isn't isolated Bridie? My atlas may argue with you
It may be a long way from the eastern states but there are plenty of cities and towns in WA, if anyone ever bothered to look
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please
I think it will be a tight game, Perth's home record is improving and they have some real pace up front, but Melbourne's quality will shine through over the 90 minutes and will win it easily.

0-2
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived in Perth for nearly 4 years and we are considering moving to Melbourne after our baby is born later this year.

Perth is great for really beautiful beaches but it IS isolated and there is not much really going for it other than the climate. There are plenty of towns in WA but they are generally one horse dust bowls in the middle of nowehere, the only exception is the Margaret River area which gets a bit dull after you have done it 5 or 6 times.

I have visited Melbourne and felt that it was more sophisticated, had more to do and was closer to where the action is; other posters have already pointed out the greater variety that is on your doorstep in melbourne, to that I would like to add two things - 1) Perth is in the middle of a desert - you have to drive for at least 4 hours south to get to anywhere remotely interesting and the only thing for 24 hours drive north of Perth is sand and beaches and 2) Perth has been in the middle of a mining boom for the last few years, that is over now and there are more white collar jobs on the East coast than there are on the West coast.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:29 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

It would be very unusual to get people living in Melbourne tell you Perth is better & vice versa.
The only way to do it is come & see both for yourself & see which feels right for you.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Just a quick 'Thank You' to all the folks who have taken the time to post their views - it has certainly given us food for thought.

I thought we'd start researching Geelong after a few people have mentioned it, but my friend who lives in Sandringham (Bayside) suggested that we should look at East Melbourne - she says that Geelong is quite industrial??

K xx
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
1) Perth is in the middle of a desert - you have to drive for at least 4 hours south to get to anywhere remotely interesting and the only thing for 24 hours drive north of Perth is sand and beaches
I will take that as an insult living just under two hours from Perth
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:48 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick 'Thank You' to all the folks who have taken the time to post their views - it has certainly given us food for thought.

I thought we'd start researching Geelong after a few people have mentioned it, but my friend who lives in Sandringham (Bayside) suggested that we should look at East Melbourne - she says that Geelong is quite industrial??

K xx
Geelong is very industrial.
Good luck with whatever you decide, haven't seen you on here for ages
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

K xx
Bayside people can be very snobby, particularly about the West side but that is changing.

Maybe somewhere like Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes would be better than Geelong though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.