** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:18 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Originally Posted by hevs
Can you please explain.......
Explain what??

Every time someone posts a thread about this place v that place you get page after page of people posting saying x is beter than y, no it isn't, yes it is etc etc.

Perth is boring and isolated, Melbourne is wet and cold, Brisbane is too hot and humid, Adelaide is ok if you like Churches, the beaches is Sydney are rubbish, the beaches in Sydney are great.

It just makes me laugh that people get so uppity about one place or another. I have said it before but basically the location doesn't matter so much as the people around you. Anywhere is only as good as what you make of it and a lot will depend on how you go about that. If you make friends easily, like making your own entertainment and enjoy exploring etc then Perth is great.
It also depends on what you consider to be entertainment, I love diving, sailing, swimming, photography, bushwalking and cycling. I loveddriving up the coast for a few hours finding a deserted spot and watching the sun go down over the ocean while listening to my tea sizzle on the Barbie. Or taking a couple of trail bikes and going bush for a few days and taking pictures of the wildlife. You have to adapt your style to whats around you. In the UK I would happily yomp up Snowdon or Scafell Pike wearing my waterproofs, wollyhat etc. In Oz I would go bushwalking making sure I had plenty of water and would plan on walking at a much slower pace and covering a third of the distance.

If you want the all the entertainment laid on,can't live without 24/7 shopping and need to be eating out at a different restaurant every other night then Melbourne orSydney are probably for you. If you can live with the humidity (which I can't) then Brisbane may be an alternative. If you want somewhere a bit more sedate then maybe Adelaide is the place.

And what about Alice Springs, Darwin or Hobart

My personal opinion is that I wasn't keen on Melbourne, I found it too impersonal, the weather was unpredictable and I found it difficult to get around on public transport. I don't ski and living in Oz I don't want to see snow or be that cold. But I also hate London, Birmingham and Manchester for the same reasons (except maybe the public transport in London)

Different strokes for different folks.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh, ok I get you.

But its strange..all the things you've listed that you like doing so do I (with the exception of swimming) and found Perth too hot to enjoy most of them.

I also don't need all the entertainment laid on,can't live without 24/7 shopping and need to be eating out at a different restaurant every other night But for all the things you have listed.... I find Melbourne has in spades...

Strange hey? Horses for courses and all that

Oh and BTW, I love W/A
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Ahhhh, ok I get you.

But its strange..all the things you've listed that you like doing so do I (with the exception of swimming) and found Perth too hot to enjoy most of them.

I also don't need all the entertainment laid on,can't live without 24/7 shopping and need to be eating out at a different restaurant every other night But for all the things you have listed.... I find Melbourne has in spades...

Oh and BTW, I love W/A
Yes, sorry, wasn't saying that you had to want that to enjoy Melbourne or Sydney just that if that is your bag then perhaps Perth is not the place to be as it doesn't have as many options.

I did find that far too many expats expect to just move their UK lifestyles to a place where the sun shines. Australia is not the UK with sunshine it's whole different kettle of fish. My relies in Adelaide for example think nothing of driving three or four hours to go for a meal out and then driving back again.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innojuk
Australia is not the UK with sunshine it's whole different kettle of fish. .
Now aint THAT the truth
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

blaengarw25 will become famous soon enough

Put it this way - one of my best mates is orginially from Perth but as soon as he turned 18 he fled to Melbourne. 24 years later he's still living in Melbourne. He absolutely dreads having to go to Perth every Xmas as all his family live there. He said the minute he arrives in Perth, he's already itching to get back to Melbourne quick-smart. So Perth must be that bad. Many other people also want to leave Perth and move to Melbourne, having lived in Melbourne for 4 years, Melbourne is by far the better choice.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by blaengarw25
Put it this way - one of my best mates is orginially from Perth but as soon as he turned 18 he fled to Melbourne. 24 years later he's still living in Melbourne. He absolutely dreads having to go to Perth every Xmas as all his family live there. He said the minute he arrives in Perth, he's already itching to get back to Melbourne quick-smart. So Perth must be that bad. Many other people also want to leave Perth and move to Melbourne, having lived in Melbourne for 4 years, Melbourne is by far the better choice.

And yet another one
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Come on Hevs, anyone who goes for the Bombers must be reckless

Just look at Bill
Hoy I heard that I don't mind being reckless as long as we finish above the Saints & the Blues this year.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn, yawn - Melbourne wet and cold

Really wet, seeing as we've been on water restrictions since we arrived almost 3 years ago....

Cold ...... if you say so
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hoy I heard that I don't mind being reckless as long as we finish above the Saints & the Blues this year.
And the pies
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:46 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Crow

Really wet, seeing as we've been on water restrictions since we arrived almost 3 years ago....

Well it rained 3 weeks ago if you remember Rachel. No wonder people prefer Perth.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

Though of you the other day. The man who came to fit my fly screens said "you guys over here live in paradise" He had just driven from The Basin to Harkaway and had totally fallen in love!
He lives over the North west somewhere very busy apparently....
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Though of you the other day. The man who came to fit my fly screens said "you guys over here live in paradise" He had just driven from The Basin to Harkaway and had totally fallen in love!
He lives over the North west somewhere very busy apparently....
That drive is just beautiful I did it four times in a row, when I was attending a course at Chisholm, Cranbourne.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:01 am
Account Closed

Think you missed the point of the post, I didn't say that was reality just that that is the usual misleading response you generally get when asking this type of question.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

WOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant future

PERTH is very isolated from the rest of Oz, but you're closer to the Far East for holidays, whereas MELBOURNE is closer to NZ (and from there, Fiji).

PERTH has some great places to go on the weekend - camping down the south west coast (Walpole, Albany, Denmark) or wine-tasting at Margaret River. Or head North and go to Monkey Mia. MELBOURNE has wildlife parks north of the city (e.g. Ballarat) and great mountains, plus you can ski in Vic in winter, or you can go on a day trip up the Great Ocean Road to see the '12' Apostles (can't remember how many are left now!). Or of course there's Philip Island and Tasmania not far away.

ADELAIDE, however, shouldn't be discounted just because it can be considered 'quiet'. It is laid back and traditional, and you can travel on the Indian Pacific Railway to lots of places - Alice Springs, Melbourne...

PERTH is closer to the UK (big bonus).

MELBOURNE is the second most expensive place in Australia (after Sydney).

ADELAIDE has the lowest cost of living.

Ooh I couldn't choose between any of them! If I were you I'd go where the jobs are, as regardless of what there is to do on the weekend, you're stuck at home if you can't earn a living!

WombatGirl
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

hhhhhhhhhhhmmmm

Depends what you want

Perth is a small town akin to Southend (just nicer haha)

Melbourne is a big town 3.8 million

Neither are really citities. 1.5 million

Worst thing about Perth IMO is isolated feeling, WA so lots of hillbillies and no decent bands ever want to tour there cos too expensive so local ent scene is pretty clicky and doesnt change much.

Worst thing about Melbourne IMO is people's/media's obession with crap sport like AFL, Swimming and State Cricket... yawn....and melbourne has a bit of an obsession with oneself for being the 'best' instead of just being melbourne so snobbery is higher there..

Otherwise go to Melbourne lots more going on there.....

Oh...IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.