Whatya Reading??

Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

Better add The Book Thief to my list then too. Not read that. Have read and really enjoyed The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night. It really helped explain to me those kind of Asbergers/ Autism type disorders that were so had to get my head around.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean Indie - it kind of took you into the head of someone who suffers from this and made you see life from a completely different aspect.

I didnt like his second book as much though

You really have to read the Book Thief - a beautiful story.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I haven't read the second book Patty and won't bother then, but one that I did really like that I brought back from England was 'The Thirteenth Tale' by Diane Setterfield. Must have brought it back after last summer. I devoured it really quickly and it just stayed with me. One of those books that totally takes you by surprise when you get to the end.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm .- just googled it and it sounds good - will see if the charity shop has it !
Another book I loved (but purely a biased choice) is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Its a lovely story which does kind of echo the truth behind the german occupation of the Channel Islands from 1940-45 (the only part of the UK to be occupied and generally forgotten by everyone until after the war )
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by indiebird
One of my students at the moment was totally put off reading by I Promesi Sposi at Scuola Media. So much so that he wanted to see H's list to see if he had to buy a copy of that!! .... he doesn't so far.

By the way, anyone got any good tips on reading in Italian? I have real trouble as it is quite different lang to spoken Italian. Some lovely friend (37100) brought me a copy of Se questo é un uomo by Primo Levi and I'm struggling.... it's quite like work isn't it.... but I would love to be able to read in Italian.

p.s Angeli if AC is already waiting at the Buddhist Retreat.... I'm wondering how you feel about Scientology??!!
Feel really bad as have 'lived here', 9 months, but do not feel my Italian has improved... I do need help. what do you recommend me do.........best on-line / dvd course going,.........for a 'Novice' ha ha

Ahhh Indie and Patty, think yogic flying very extreme but jolly good fun after a bevvy of prosecco followed by after eight mint ummmmm
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:02 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of people like Michel Thomas's courses Angeli. You either love them or hate them! Earworms are good and fun and the best books I have found are from the US either Mcgraw Hill or Barron's - very comprehensive and split everything down so you get a work book just for the pronouns and little words you use every day!! I did start them then life got in the way - I should star again!! Collin's has a great range of language books too HTH

Also liked the book thief - got to go being chased - OH here..... Italians love Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth is so similar to I promessi, but when they read Pillars they have all forgotten this fact!!! Btw, I loved I promessi in English! I also love Pillars and the sequel!!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Not done Ken Follett either but I know that my Dad likes those books... so many books to read...

I will look into those American books Testa. I love Michel Thomas but know that a lot of people don't like his voice and the fact that he just goes on, but I do find, when my confidence is low, that if I have them on whilst I'm cleaning or doing other stuff (as opposed to Radio 4 ) it does go in. In fact the rather useful small book I've got here is Barron's Italian Grammar. It has actually helped Ds with his homework that book. I must get back into Bussu. com too as that is quite a helpful course and free too.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of

For those of you who have read both....do you have to read The Kite Runner BEFORE you read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" or does each book stand alone?
Looking to order from Book Depository soon and wondered if I had to get both?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by durobird
For those of you who have read both....do you have to read The Kite Runner BEFORE you read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" or does each book stand alone?
Looking to order from Book Depository soon and wondered if I had to get both?
Nah, each book stands on its own. They're not connected, although both set in Afghanistan. And both brill. The Kite Runner is basically about a friendship between two men, Suns is about a friendship between two women.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Another nice read (though not in the same league as The Book Thief) is The Boy With The Striped Pyjamas. (Again a bit of a rubbish film though.)
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:59 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh not read 1000 splendid suns, thought the Kite Runner was so overhyped after I read it that I just can't be bothered!!! I still can't believe the stupid, action movie ending!!! I hate when a writer has so obviously written a book with the movie deal in mind. It's why I only read about 3 Grishams, you could almost see the lighting and stage directions....
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:02 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

Originally Posted by angeli
Feel really bad as have 'lived here', 9 months, but do not feel my Italian has improved... I do need help. what do you recommend me do.........best on-line / dvd course going,.........for a 'Novice' ha ha

Ahhh Indie and Patty, think yogic flying very extreme but jolly good fun after a bevvy of prosecco followed by after eight mint ummmmm
I have about 5 or 6 language course I will burn them on a dvd and post to you, micheal thomas makes me feel like slashing my wrists it so annoying , I also have translation software that is not bad I will post next week send me your address again in case, my neighbours correct me if I go wrong
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bricwood
I have about 5 or 6 language course I will burn them on a dvd and post to you, micheal thomas makes me feel like slashing my wrists it so annoying , I also have translation software that is not bad I will post next week send me your address again in case, my neighbours correct me if I go wrong
Thank you all.
Do have M Thomas and will make big effort to listen and learn...any others, B that you have would be gratefully received, will PM address.
Back uk next week, would be good if I came back talking a bit more of the lingo so will really try as hate not being able to understand / talk back anything other than the norm polite stuff....know I wont ever be good but would like to try.....
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:31 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

Linquaphone drives me crackers too, its the silly story in the background, I think I tried them all but I found the ones where you learn as you drive bearable, the woman opposite wants to send her granddaughter over and she learns English and I learn Italian but I an old fogey and cant relate to young people at all , anyone under about 40 is a whipper snapper to me now, I don't mix with English people at all so I have to learn or die I am constantly looking things up and it sticks like that
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished Don't mention the wars( a journey through European stereotypes) by Tony Connelly. I enjoyed it very much .
It is a book about the highs and lows of european manners and mannerisms, how these notions evolved, what historical forces and rivalries shaped them, how valid they still are in frontierless Europe of the 21st century.
Here is a little joke from the book cover:

Heaven is where the police are British.
the chefs are Italian,
the lovers French,
and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German,
the chefs are British,
the mechanics French,
the lovers Swiss
and it is all organised by the Italians.

No offence intended.

Next book lined up is Bill Brysons At home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.