Whatya Reading??

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

I avoid anything that deals with ' problem ' children .. have my own . But I do have a passion for 1920's -1940's history and read a lot of both fiction and non fiction set in this era. I also loved ' wolf hall ' and ' bring up the bodies ' by Hilary Mantle despite not being a big fan of the tudors per se .
Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Just finished ' My Dear . i wanted to tell you ' by Louisa Young which was beautifully written and very moving . Now I'm looking for something similar ....
I read that last month, was so moving wasn't it, really made me think of the horrors that our ancestors went through, history at school is just full of dates and facts but this book was a real eye opener.
I love all Laurie Graham books, she is such a witty writer and her characters are so well written
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

It was lovely and there is going to be a sequel set in the 1930's . If you enjoyed that then try ' the return of Captain John Emmett '' which is also about people coming to terms with the aftermath of WWI
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
It was lovely and there is going to be a sequel set in the 1930's . If you enjoyed that then try ' the return of Captain John Emmett '' which is also about people coming to terms with the aftermath of WWI
Thanks for the reccomendation, will look out for you and let you know
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Patty
Oh Twinkle - you've just reminded me what great books they were - I'll have to read them again - had forgotten all about Ayla !! (that was her name wasnt it?)
Yes Ayla! I had forgotten there were naughty bits in them until I read the first one after my daughter had, and was a bit worried - but she's 14 now, and I am just relieved it's quite sensitively written, if a bit graphic!!! Embarrassed me, thinking of her reading it!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

I tend to avoid things that have been hyped up by the media, but my friend has sent me a birthday gift of the Shades of Grey Trilogy! I really did not fancy them at all, not because I'm a prude but couldn't bear that every Tom Dick and Harry were reading them...... The jury is still out, I'm afraid Mr Grey isn't doing it for me......yet!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished Life, Death & Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair. Very good, but, quite dark not at all what I imagined. Left me with a lump in my throat. Highly recommend.

Stephen King is the King for me. Have read everything except the Dark Tower series which I just could not get in to and Cujo and Pet Cemetary (anything to do with kids and animals hurting - nope). At the moment I seem to be reading a lot of Adele Parks which is light reading but funny.

Someone mentioned Hilary Mantel´s Wolf Hall. Just couldn´t get in to it but I think the reason for that is that the Tudor period has been done to death. I have been reading about it since I was a child with Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt type novels.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just finished Life, Death & Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair. Very good, but, quite dark not at all what I imagined. Left me with a lump in my throat. Highly recommend.

Stephen King is the King for me. Have read everything except the Dark Tower series which I just could not get in to and Cujo and Pet Cemetary (anything to do with kids and animals hurting - nope). At the moment I seem to be reading a lot of Adele Parks which is light reading but funny.

Someone mentioned Hilary Mantel´s Wolf Hall. Just couldn´t get in to it but I think the reason for that is that the Tudor period has been done to death. I have been reading about it since I was a child with Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt type novels.
Hi Chiclanagir,

I think Steven King is great too. Pet Cemetery is a great story, It is along the lines of the old "monkeys paw" story.

I was dropping a friend off at Turin Airport a week ago and saw on the lingua straniera book shelf a Steven King book called Arena, As I hadn't read it, and at the moment I am reduced to reading labels on the english pickle jars I bought it despite the huge price tag.

I didn't have my reading glasses with me so after I had returned to the coffee bar I held the book at arms length and tried to read the rear cover. It started with "Dieses Buch ist über Jack" It was the German version of 11.22.63 .

Because the only German words I understand are Halt, Achtung & Ausfahrt I sheepishly returned the book to the book shop and swapped it for 2 English books. I have read one and half read the other and both were crap, I would have been better keeping the German Steven King book and trying to learn yet another foreign language.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I used to read Stephen King - but I stopped cos I was getting bad dreams (after IT!!)

Just finished Incendiary by Chris Cleave - I really loved it - might not be to everyone's taste though.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Hi Chiclanagir,

I think Steven King is great too. Pet Cemetery is a great story, It is along the lines of the old "monkeys paw" story.

I was dropping a friend off at Turin Airport a week ago and saw on the lingua straniera book shelf a Steven King book called Arena, As I hadn't read it, and at the moment I am reduced to reading labels on the english pickle jars I bought it despite the huge price tag.

I didn't have my reading glasses with me so after I had returned to the coffee bar I held the book at arms length and tried to read the rear cover. It started with "Dieses Buch ist über Jack" It was the German version of 11.22.63 .

Because the only German words I understand are Halt, Achtung & Ausfahrt I sheepishly returned the book to the book shop and swapped it for 2 English books. I have read one and half read the other and both were crap, I would have been better keeping the German Steven King book and trying to learn yet another foreign language.
You seriously need to get onto Amazon . I get books in a couple of days , faster if they come off the Amazon.it site
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

I thought Wolf Hall was great, but then I'll read anything historical
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I thought Wolf Hall was a wonderful book and I really enjoyed the sequel too . I'm not a huge '' tudor '' fan myself but I found thomes Cromwell fascinating !
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
I used to read Stephen King - but I stopped cos I was getting bad dreams (after IT!!)

Just finished Incendiary by Chris Cleave - I really loved it - might not be to everyone's taste though.
IT is King at his best. Had to laugh at the German version.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Sarah Dunant - Sacred Hearts

an English friend sent it to me for my birthday as it's set in Renaissance Ferrara and so thought it might interest me.
I'd already read another one of her historical ones, when I knew she was in Ferrara researching this one. They're both a bit 'girlie' but a pleasant enough read and she seems to know her stuff.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a Kindle very recently and now have done almost nothing apart from read for 4 weeks!!! Download from Amazon in seconds makes it so easy to spend far too much.
I'm slightly embarrassed to say that apart from a bit of Dostoevsky, Cormac McCarthy (The Road), Grimm's fairy stories and The Stand I've mostly been reading books about child abuse and Multiple Personalities.
The bad dreams are quite rife now-I must stop !!
Recommend The Road however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.