Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes.

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Mrs Sensible asked me if I had any 3" floppy discs that she could use to save the children's work at school.

I suggested she use on of our thumb drives, she said the computer only has a 3" floppy drive and no USB ports... even the mouse post is one of the old ones..
Vintage technology is all the rage dahling! ..

Need any tape-cassettes to play?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:42 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Vintage technology is all the rage dahling! ..

Need any tape-cassettes to play?
hey don't forget the 5 1/4 computer discs and dear old Betamax video recorders
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
hey don't forget the 5 1/4 computer discs and dear old Betamax video recorders
And the 8 track in my Mini...
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ononno
That reminds me of a joke I heard this morning. A chap in Barnsley who had piles goes into a chemist's shop and asks " 'as tha got any arse cream?" The chemist replies " Oh aye. Magnum or Corneto?"
Another ice-cream joke:

A man went into an ice-cream parlour and asked for a cornet. "I'm sorry, we don't serve ice-cream to Jews", was the reply.
"But this is outrageous! I want to speak to the manager!"
"All right... Mr Cohen! Mr Cohen!"
The manager appeared.
"What?", said the man, "with a name like Cohen and you don't serve ices to Jews?"
"Well, if you really want one... let him have his ice-cream!", said the manager to the assistant.
The customer tasted the ice-cream.. "But this tastes awful!"
Mr Cohen smiled. "Now you know why we don't serve ice-creams to Jews".
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Reminds me of when I went into a bar the other week and asked "avete un Magnum" to which the Chinese lady replied "no niente bagno.." ..

not sure if I had pronounced Magnum right or if she was a tad hard of hearing ..

(or if she couldn't distinguish her fonetic minimal pairs, but that's a geeky linguistic thing )

Last edited by MarkRD; Sep 25th 2013 at 9:59 am. Reason: speling
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Reminds me of when I went into a bar the other week and asked "avete un Magnum" to which the Chinese lady replied "no niente bagno.." ..

not sure if I had pronounced Magnum right or if she was a tad hard of hearing ..

(or if she couldn't distinguish her fonetic minimal pairs, but that's a geeky linguistic thing )
Are you sure that wasn't her pronunciation of Magnum and she wasn't actually telling you that she didn't have any??? All bars should have a bagno by law (although the Chinese seem to get away with murder).
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonwel
Are you sure that wasn't her pronunciation of Magnum and she wasn't actually telling you that she didn't have any??? All bars should have a bagno by law (although the Chinese seem to get away with murder).
Good point but no ... she had a freezer full of 'em! .. and no loo.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm going to scream
I thought I would try again to book my appointment with the ASL - I left it a day thinking that the bloody computers must be working now. Ha ha ha - no such luck - I was on hold listening to that dreadful music for 15 minutes and then when a person finally came on line it was only to tell me that the computers are still down and they cant take any appointments. I just started laughing (hysteria setting in) she was very apologetic, but all I want is a 10 minute slot to have my ears unblocked.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Mrs Sensible asked me if I had any 3" floppy discs that she could use to save the children's work at school.

I suggested she use on of our thumb drives, she said the computer only has a 3" floppy drive and no USB ports... even the mouse post is one of the old ones..
I've actually still got a box of floppy disks in my desk. I don't mind sticking a few in a Jiffy bag and posting them if Mrs Sensible really needs them. They don't weigh anything.

Each disk has a grand 1.44 Mb of memory. Says on the box though that they are 3.5 inch. Think they were standard at the time.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Each disk has a grand 1.44 Mb of memory. Says on the box though that they are 3.5 inch. Think they were standard at the time.
Yes, I think Mrs Sensible would be happy with 3.5"
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
I think I'm going to scream
I thought I would try again to book my appointment with the ASL - I left it a day thinking that the bloody computers must be working now. Ha ha ha - no such luck - I was on hold listening to that dreadful music for 15 minutes and then when a person finally came on line it was only to tell me that the computers are still down and they cant take any appointments. I just started laughing (hysteria setting in) she was very apologetic, but all I want is a 10 minute slot to have my ears unblocked.
Too much trouble and beyond their intelligence to change the phone message so that it says "put phone down now if you need to book an appointment because our computers have crashed."
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:22 am

Yes, I think Mrs Sensible would be happy with 3.5"
Go to lunch or something.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Go to lunch or something.
I've already been! ...for lunch!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:52 am

The Italian company that I'm translating for sent one document to be translated by somebody working in the tribunal, and sent it back to me to check it.

First mistake is only on line 6

E’ costituita la società a responsabilità limitata denominata ......

It is made the limited liability company named ........

God help me !
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

The Italian company that I'm translating for sent one document to be translated by somebody working in the tribunal, and sent it back to me to check it.

First mistake is only on line 6

E’ costituita la società a responsabilità limitata denominata ......

It is made the limited liability company named ........

God help me !
if they had a brain they'd be dangerous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.