Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Something simple-cheese and crackers, olives, smoked salmon and maybe some pate-enough, as there are only the 2 of us Plus wine for breakfast, sambuca with mid morning coffee-suits me!
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I am so pissed off. OH rang me at 6.30 pm from work to ask me if I put diesel in the car and that his is empty.
Well, since I do not watch Italian TV, I missed all the warnings about another effing strike tomorrow till Friday
I am sure the red light will come on tomorrow and I have to go and get a few things from the shops, plus do the school run. How did I miss this in the IL Messagero?
Bloody country.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:13 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
I am so pissed off. OH rang me at 6.30 pm from work to ask me if I put diesel in the car and that his is empty.
Well, since I do not watch Italian TV, I missed all the warnings about another effing strike tomorrow till Friday
I am sure the red light will come on tomorrow and I have to go and get a few things from the shops, plus do the school run. How did I miss this in the IL Messagero?
Bloody country.
Oh dear. We filled up today and there was a big queue. There was probably no need because the supermarket one's don't usually strike.

I keep track here: http://www.commissionegaranziasciope...a_sciopnaz.jsp
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, here you all are talking about what you're going to do and what you're going to eat already! Crikey, I'd better go and buy some Christmas cards then. Have already received some from long lost UK cousins, so feel a bit guilty about not having done anything about it. Christmas menù will be the result of a family confab. next Sunday. Christmas pudding for me and a few other connossieurs will feature, as will Christmas crackers for everbody (about 16/20) depending on how many 'fidanzatini' are involved. They all love Christmas crackers with the silly hats and cheapo gifts. They also love watching me set fire to the Christmas pudding with half a bottle of Couvoisier

ciao for now,
'o nonno

Last edited by ononno; Dec 12th 2012 at 8:13 am. Reason: spelling?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonwel
What are you lot going to eat on Xmas Day here in Italy? No turkey'n'trimmings for us because I'd be the only one who appreciated it, but we've decided to put our foot down this year: my ma-in-law has for years objected to candles on the table, saying they remind her of a cemetery... well, this year she's gonna have them whether she likes it or not. Then we're going to have something unrefined (horror of horrors!): brasato con polenta! It'll go down well and then there'll be a few simple antipasti and the usual panettone, torta veneziana, pandoro.

There's nothing in Italy like the stodge of a Xmas pudding or Xmas cake. No mince pies either. Pazienza!

The thing that annoys me most about the Italian Xmas is not so much what they eat as the fact that it all comes down to a lunch! Ask an Italian what they did "at Christmas", thinking of how they spent the Christmas holidays, where they went, what they did, and all they'll tell you is what they ate for lunch!
Che palle!
Two years ago we did the full english christmas dinner for the relatives. They all enjoyed it ... apart from one of the Italian brother in laws who just looked at it and refused to even taste it.

This year we will do the same, and for the brother in law, I brought specially from the UK a can of heinz spagetti.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
for the brother in law, I brought specially from the UK a can of heinz spagetti.
Love it! We're going for simple this year as I doubt I'll want to be slaving over a stove for too long. I think we'll be picking up some tortellini di zucca from the local market (yum!) and perhaps some pre-cooked roast beef or something. With a two-year-old, a massive bump and no mum or MIL to help us out, we're not going to be too ambitious! I've picked up a mini panettone for those who are allowed to eat it and I'll be making some mince pies (might have to cheekily indulge there!) as my mum brought over some mincemeat when she was last here.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Not sure we're in the right thread here, but anyway we'll be with MIL and other ILs for Xmas, so "moans, groans etc" perhaps is the right thread!
In 26 years we've only ever been in the UK for Xmas twice.
We attempted it two (or 3?) years ago but then there were those massive snow storms and we had to cancel last minute as it was too risky. Lost all our money (bah humbug!)

Yes, it all revolves around the dinner (lunch) table of course with the usual fayre even this will be our first Xmas as full-on vegetarians, but I think I'll have give in to the meat-stuffed capelletti (tortellini) in meat-brodo...

As pagans, we also celebrate Solstice at home so that will def be meat-free!

Mum has sent a parcel, bless, so hope there are some Brit-goodies in there. I forgot to order off those UK foodie sites we talked about and it's probably a bit late now.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
We attempted it two (or 3?) years ago but then there were those massive snow storms and we had to cancel last minute as it was too risky. Lost all our money (bah humbug!).
We were in that too ! spent a night on the floor at Bergamo airport with two children , I have never seen snow like it . We had to spend two nights in a hotel and then Ryanair manged to get us to the UK for the 24 th , I cried when we actually made it home. This experience is one of the reasons we haven't attempted Xmas in the uk since ....
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:58 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be too late to order the UK food stuff, deliveries are usually 3-5 days.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
We were in that too ! spent a night on the floor at Bergamo airport with two children , I have never seen snow like it . We had to spend two nights in a hotel and then Ryanair manged to get us to the UK for the 24 th , I cried when we actually made it home. This experience is one of the reasons we haven't attempted Xmas in the uk since ....
We were very, very lucky that year. Got straight on the phone to KLM while standing in the most enormous queue to change tickets and they put us on BA flights instead (the snow had moved on from London and there was room on the flights as there had been a BA strike threat so nobody booked with them) and we just about had time to get to the front of the queue and pick up our new tickets, check in and board. Other people were going home or sleeping in the airport. I can recommend always having the number of the airline and a well-charged phone with lots of credit when flying, just in case!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Blimey . .we all had our fair share that year then. You can't imagine how p*ssed off I was though .. we didn't even attempt it.

Originally Posted by duffer
Shouldn't be too late to order the UK food stuff, deliveries are usually 3-5 days.
I'll hold you to that. Pass the sherry would you?

edit: could someone post those links to UK foody things again? .. I can't find 'em. Thanks.

Last edited by MarkRD; Dec 12th 2012 at 9:48 am.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:08 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I'll hold you to that. Pass the sherry would you?

edit: could someone post those links to UK foody things again? .. I can't find 'em. Thanks.
This is the thread -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769060
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
Cheers Duffer .. I couldn't be arsed to look ..

..it reminded me of that place in Sant Agostino which may or may not have survived the earthquake ..
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of bloody snow outside
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Lots of bloody snow outside
I was telling the kids in the car this morning that there will be snow in the North and they were very disappointed that it is raining here. I love snow, but hate that nobody cleans it and we can get stuck in the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.