Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

So, we are thinking of moving......

So, we are thinking of moving......

Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So, we are thinking of moving......

Thanks, but I think I need to keep a clear mind to deal with this new age mental bubble bath that's washing over here!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:31 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Karenwhe
Starting a business is best. You don’t need in SA a lot of money to start a business, but that of course depends what business. I started 3 without any money.
Wow, you sound like Wonderwoman

Didn’t you say your work is voluntary ?

Last edited by Campbells; Apr 24th 2007 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:34 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

due to the fact that I am smoking

You said it
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:47 pm
Banned

Northcliff. But you should have seen this in my previous post.

NO. I don’t have any of that. I have a wall that is my height (average) I can look over it if I want to. The wall is there because the pool is in front of the house, not at the back.
In our street only one house has all those things you detailed.

YES I do. And I invite you to travel with me. I do it daily. Oh sorry, my mistake with one of the cars the doors are lock because they lock automatically when you start driving (Chrysler) the other car they don’t lock. And my windows are always opened, due to the fact that I am smoking (bad habit, sorry).

Post number 196 was where my question was asked, your explanation to where you live was after that – post No 213.

You are a smarty pants but you gotta stay with the programme.

I think you are still smoking K as I have zero intention of taking up your invite to South Africa to drive around Jo’burg CBD, it’s a hovel. You like me to post some pictures?

Your comments re Northcliff. It sounds like you assume that nobody here has lived in SA, I spent over 20 years there and we have several friends currently in Northcliff, I can get them to take pictures of their walls and electric fences and the neighbours too but I am sure you will argue that the camera does lie !

That is just as ridic as your *invite* for me to drive with you in Jo’burg – as if the Jo’burg you know is different.

Please ……………..
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:51 pm
Banned

Pleased to meet you too and thank you for telling me, I had no clue Seanwhe was there.
As I said......

Stay with the programme
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:06 pm
Banned

That doesn't make sense even for a 9 year-old logic.

Get real.
What do you think of 9 year olds being cut up for muthi

Any logic in that ?

Please …………….
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:34 pm
Banned

I only buy magazines that are related to my business (property and IT) and then (like this morning) I glimpse over the headings of the national and regional paper if I am at a shop (even that not always).
Interesting that you are in *Real* Estate,

I guess international corporates are prepared to pay to dollar (note the term, not Rands) for rentals or purchase.

You said it, painting a rosy picture of SA is obviously your business No 3 that you started without money.

So whilst people invest their lives in SA R1 million is only £70 k of course you have to paint a rosy picture of SA because at your age the thought of having to leave ( the chicken run) and start again in another country is terrifying.

You are so busy trying to convince yourself that your business strategy has paid off because you stay in Northcliff and have a swimming pool (in front of your house) and drive a Chrysler.

Deep down inside you know and it is easier for you to tell yourself that SA is all rosy and offers more for you than other countries. That is why you only buy magazines as you, like thousands of others in SA have distanced yourself from the truth because you don’t like to hear it and don’t want to hear it, otherwise you will become a statistic, either you will be a victim or you will join the chickens and run away.

Once you understand the real threat of the mindless violence in SA your swimming pool has no value like all the other material things that South Africans worship.

The difference for us is, both my wife and I ran our own businesses in SA and now do so here. The *real* news is that it is ten times easier doing business here and for every $ we make it has international value.

The biggest mistake we made was not getting our chickens out of South Africa sooner and doing business in an international arena with international value.

That is real ………………..
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:33 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Originally Posted by SAcitizenproud
Campbells,

The difference with WW is that generally the country was all on the same side. PLUS after the war the country was re-built, with South Africa the country is ( supposedly) not at war and the place is being destroyed into a hovel. For example, Hillbrow & surrounding areas. So I really don’t understand your point here.

With regards to Hillbrow, I think it's called urban migration. In typical first world countries this happens when people from rural areas migrate to the cities. The situation is much the same in SA except that you have people from surrounding townships moving into these areas to be closer to work. Many of which, as I'm sure you know, earn peanuts. As for WW2, yes, people were on the same side and if all South Africans could be on the same side then yes, employment and the general standards of the country would improve. It's so unfortunate that many, if not most, of those who enjoyed the previous legacy did not have the decency to stay and try to make right or to make even just a small contribution for the injustices of the millions who have had to suffer.

SA is a beautiful place but we have a four year old boy and there is no way in hell we want to bring him up there, firstly in their violent culture, secondly where they are constantly lowering the education bar to suit ( this does not encourage children).

Education bar - this may be true. There are private schools with high standards.

So many people are starting to say on this forum that to go back to SA the best way is to start a business. NONSENSE, our business was based on educational products for the black Africans and we were starting to get FORCED into having a black partner of 51% WHICH IS CONTROLLING SHARES – hello. So what you mean to say is that it is best for some black person with zero skills to PRETEND to be your partner on paper as you no-doubt ( as in our case) not be able to find a potential partner to join your company as there is such a dire shortage of skills.

'Starting to get forced' ??? Not said with certainty. The decision to allocate shares or share ownership would reside with you if you were the owner. Staffing requirements, by legislation, on the otherhand require you to have black representation in your business. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with BEE it's only fair that black africans are allowed to catch up and it would also be fair for it to continue. Apartheid lasted about fifity years so there is lots to catch up on.

Starting a business in Suth Africa is the right thing to do if you have the skills and are in a position to do so. The business environment in South Africa, like any other country, is competitive and there are many people doing extremely well.

Of course like any business person would look at the big picture, there is also the case of getting your money out the country should you decide to leave SA – then what ? At R1 million equal to £70 k ( as of today) where is the long term business sense in that ?

The South African governments decision to allow the currency to float was a good one. It does have ebbs and flows and this is good. They could decide to set the exchange rates like they did during the previous regime but overall its not good economy. As for the exchange rate, your income is dependent on the type of business you choose to operate if you are operating outside SA. There is nothing to stop SA citizens from doing this or investing in oversees markets. Also, £70k won't buy you a house in the UK, R1 million on the other hand will buy you a very nice house in SA.

We knew ( personally) so many black people that sat on boards of several companies where there name was / is on the letterhead for compliance sake. Of course they will take a share in your business to allow you to use their name but that is as far as their contribution to the business goes. Oh, BTW try advertising for a black partner to BUY IN to your business, this has been designed for PREVIOUSLY DISADVANTAGED so where do you think they are going to get the money to buy in ?

Anyone suggesting to people to move to a strange country in general and open up a business is a fool. The best route is always to work in that country and preferably in the business you intend to start so you can gain local knowledge. Then you move into starting your own business. South Africa is fraught with corruption and of course if deals go wrong and e.g. people don’t want to pay there is always the threat of violence.

I disagree. There are many franchise opportunities in South Africa that offer training and support. Obviously it would be more difficult if you are trying to start off fresh, with a non standard venture, that applies but it would apply to any country in the world.

We have a friend that dealt at government level and told us that the government tender board is run by a mafia over there , so quite obviously it is the ruling government are setting the precedence what do you expect business to be further down the chain.

This is quite simply not true and a load of crap so I'll swiftly move on.

We used to do business with several of the biggest banks in SA and I was horrified how many of their staff expected bribes for us to get business from them. Doing business in Africa is a whole new set of rules and many times it is the one holding the gun that sets the rules.

Ever heard of the Ombudsman???

I would say that someone running a legitimate business in the UK and moving to SA would find it completely different. Of course, starting with just trying to get a telephone from the only service provider there, Telkom.

In my experience I have not had any problems dealing with Telkom. There are other options like Skype.

Leaving SA two years ago for us, both my wife and I have start our own businesses and have had to re-learn to trust again and understand that there are places in the world where you can do business in an honest environment. This is the future for our son; this will be his foundation for his future.

BTW SA citizen – proud.

Welcome to BE and congrats on your first post, hope you are going to keep posting.

Just as a matter of interest, for someone with such a strong handle ( SA Proud) why did you leave SA ?

My girlfriend could not work in SA because she did not hold an SA passport. We have since married and plan to head back soon. I would encourage anyone and everyone to move to move to SA. Especially Cape Town. VERY NICE PLACE!!!

Thank-you for your comments.

[/I]
Why should blacks get more rights than whites.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:56 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
well, Karen, I mentioned I'd been chatting to your Husband Sean about your business, the property and Estate Agency one, and how my wife and I had decided not to invest in the low priced units in the Berea as one could'nt be guaranteed continuance if something happened to your estate agent.
OMG!!! Please RUN, don't just walk away from anybody trying to sell you property in Berea or Hillbrow. You have no idea what a hell hole that part of Joburg has become!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:23 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

That is good for you. All decisions made by you are good for you.

My facility manager can tell you far worse stories than the once you took out of the media. Far worse. He can also tell you stories that are far better.

Where there is smoke.......

Like I said each focuses on the negative or the positive. That is a choice.

Still people invest, and he is still around for longer than he can't count in years.

Problems are there, that is why investors invest, because they don't have to go there. What? This sounds like a snake oil scheme. Anyone that takes a little time to do research will soon discover how bad an investment it is to buy anything in downtown Joburg. Any investor worth their salt would do a little research anyway before putting down their hard earned cash in any investment

If one agent is gone there is another and then there is always the good old agencies like Trafalgar which have never left CBD and they are just getting bigger and bigger. When one agent is gone, as in taken out?

What you decide is good for you. No argument there.
Thanks Karen, we are all now very well informed.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
That is a good question ...

Last edited by Campbells; Apr 25th 2007 at 6:23 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:24 am
Banned

The difference with WW is that generally the country was all on the same side. PLUS after the war the country was re-built, with South Africa the country is ( supposedly) not at war and the place is being destroyed into a hovel. For example, Hillbrow & surrounding areas. So I really don’t understand your point here.

With regards to Hillbrow, I think it's called urban migration. In typical first world countries this happens when people from rural areas migrate to the cities.
Fair enough.

The situation is much the same in SA except that you have people from surrounding townships moving into these areas to be closer to work.
Fair enough.

Many of which, as I'm sure you know, earn peanuts.
Why is that and who’s fault is it ? With all the BEE & AA there is no excuse. For example Tish …

As for WW2, yes, people were on the same side and if all South Africans could be on the same side then yes, employment and the general standards of the country would improve. It's so unfortunate that many, if not most, of those who enjoyed the previous legacy did not have the decency to stay and try to make right or to make even just a small contribution for the injustices of the millions who have had to suffer.
I did not create apartheid not did I agree with it. It is not my responsibility to sort out the problems of South Africa. If you feel it is yours, step right up, there’s lots of work to be done. It is just the same that not all Germans and anti semantic. Your generalisation that I (& others) should stay in SA to re-build it is more like a sentence rather than a good idea; quite simply, two wrongs don’t make a right.

SA is a beautiful place but we have a four year old boy and there is no way in hell we want to bring him up there, firstly in their violent culture, secondly where they are constantly lowering the education bar to suit ( this does not encourage children).

Education bar - this may be true. There are private schools with high standards.
Who governs the private schools? How are they assessed?

So many people are starting to say on this forum that to go back to SA the best way is to start a business. NONSENSE, our business was based on educational products for the black Africans and we were starting to get FORCED into having a black partner of 51% WHICH IS CONTROLLING SHARES – hello. So what you mean to say is that it is best for some black person with zero skills to PRETEND to be your partner on paper as you no-doubt ( as in our case) not be able to find a potential partner to join your company as there is such a dire shortage of skills.

'Starting to get forced' ??? Not said with certainty. The decision to allocate shares or share ownership would reside with you if you were the owner. Staffing requirements, by legislation, on the otherhand require you to have black representation in your business. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with BEE it's only fair that black africans are allowed to catch up and it would also be fair for it to continue. Apartheid lasted about fifity years so there is lots to catch up on.
Mate, I am talking from experience. The term *forced is purely that companies that you do business with require you to comply otherwise they are not allowed to do business with you. What is your contary information based on ?

Starting a business in Suth Africa is the right thing to do if you have the skills and are in a position to do so. The business environment in South Africa, like any other country, is competitive and there are many people doing extremely well.
Define – doing well. Making money? You said earlier that people are moving to urban areas and wages are lower so are you saying that businesses are doing well because of low rates of pay. If so how can South Africa attract the much needed skills? In terms of doing well the ANC are as Mbeki can afford his own jet plan and 92 million on a wall around his house. Why is the wealth not being re-distributed by the president and setting the example?

Too many times South Africans tell me the y will not leave because they are making money. The life of our son is priceless and we decided to re-valuate our lives in SA and got out as the value is in us LIVING our lives and many times that is the simple things like going to a kiddies play park and it is CLEAN, SAFE & VERY UP-TO-DATE. The play parks we experienced in SA were hovels not fit for use.

The two main areas that display real riches in life and a balanced perspective are the aged & the youth. Mate, I certainly do not wish to grow old in South Africa. You become a soft target and all the money in the world isn’t going to change that.

Of course like any business person would look at the big picture, there is also the case of getting your money out the country should you decide to leave SA – then what ? At R1 million equal to £70 k ( as of today) where is the long term business sense in that ?

The South African governments decision to allow the currency to float was a good one. It does have ebbs and flows and this is good. They could decide to set the exchange rates like they did during the previous regime but overall its not good economy. As for the exchange rate, your income is dependent on the type of business you choose to operate if you are operating outside SA. There is nothing to stop SA citizens from doing this or investing in oversees markets. Also, £70k won't buy you a house in the UK, R1 million on the other hand will buy you a very nice house in SA.
You said it……. To earn R1 million is a lot harder than to earn £70 k so usually business investors are looking for the best return. It sounds like you are confusing the lifestyle of South Africa with good business sense. The South African Rand is toy money and your million rand is peanuts in an international arena. Simple….

We knew ( personally) so many black people that sat on boards of several companies where there name was / is on the letterhead for compliance sake. Of course they will take a share in your business to allow you to use their name but that is as far as their contribution to the business goes. Oh, BTW try advertising for a black partner to BUY IN to your business, this has been designed for PREVIOUSLY DISADVANTAGED so where do you think they are going to get the money to buy in ?

Anyone suggesting to people to move to a strange country in general and open up a business is a fool. The best route is always to work in that country and preferably in the business you intend to start so you can gain local knowledge. Then you move into starting your own business. South Africa is fraught with corruption and of course if deals go wrong and e.g. people don’t want to pay there is always the threat of violence.

I disagree. There are many franchise opportunities in South Africa that offer training and support. Obviously it would be more difficult if you are trying to start off fresh, with a non standard venture, that applies but it would apply to any country in the world.
As I said - *in general*is a fool. The franchise option needs to be well researched and defined as they too can be subject to BEE and AA, in fact more so.

We have a friend that dealt at government level and told us that the government tender board is run by a mafia over there , so quite obviously it is the ruling government are setting the precedence what do you expect business to be further down the chain.

This is quite simply not true and a load of crap so I'll swiftly move on.
Once again, I ask your reference point to discredit what I have said ? It is a global known that Africa as a whole is rife with corruption and South Africa is no different.

We used to do business with several of the biggest banks in SA and I was horrified how many of their staff expected bribes for us to get business from them. Doing business in Africa is a whole new set of rules and many times it is the one holding the gun that sets the rules.

Ever heard of the Ombudsman???
Ombudsman is generally an adjudicator between customer & bank not on a B2B level. Besides how do you, with all your business know-how of SA suggest I would have proved this?

I would say that someone running a legitimate business in the UK and moving to SA would find it completely different. Of course, starting with just trying to get a telephone from the only service provider there, Telkom.

In my experience I have not had any problems dealing with Telkom. There are other options like Skype.
You have not had any problems with Telkom. That I guess there was a website started www,helkom.co.za because obviously once again you know everything and obviously that discredits what I have stated.

Leaving SA two years ago for us, both my wife and I have start our own businesses and have had to re-learn to trust again and understand that there are places in the world where you can do business in an honest environment. This is the future for our son; this will be his foundation for his future.

BTW SA citizen – proud.

Welcome to BE and congrats on your first post, hope you are going to keep posting.

Just as a matter of interest, for someone with such a strong handle ( SA Proud) why did you leave SA ?

My girlfriend could not work in SA because she did not hold an SA passport. We have since married and plan to head back soon. I would encourage anyone and everyone to move to move to SA. Especially Cape Town. VERY NICE PLACE!!!
Mate, I seriously hope you have had the decentcy to discuss your wife’s future in SA andhad the maturity to dicuss what you do if she doesn’t like it ? Or would that simply be someone with a viewpoint that doesn’t fit in to the master plan.

Thank-you for your comments.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I believe it. I was living there when the massacres were going on.

I've lived it, twice. The optimism. The euphoria. The expectancy of great things to come. Only to be let down by the governing bodies a few years down the line. And like I've said before, South Africa will be a much bigger problem than Zimbabwe due to the fact that there is so much racial/tribal conflict in S.A., none of which Zims has ever had to any large extent (barring uncle bob and matabeleland)..
I read today that the Zimbabwe government has "postponed indefinitely" releasing the inflation figures for March. (February's were 1700%)

This puts me in mind of the SA government's suspension of crime figures.

I'm not sure if this way of managing problems is better called "postmodern" or "African." Don't like the crime stats? Then just stop releasing them and the problem goes away.

Pablo
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Tish11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
Why is that and who’s fault is it ?
They were deprived of a decent education, A grand design by the nationalist party government or whoever the hell came up with the apartheid system. The real intention of the system was to keep black people right there (earning peanuts). It took fifty years to create this and a mere 10yrs in my view is hardly enough to correct it.
You are probably going to respong by saying its the ANC Government's fault. Maybe you are right, but the way i see it businesses have to contribute in one way or another. From my experience, even after 94 some companies were still NOT prepared to pay black graduates what their white counterparts were getting.
and With all the BEE & AA there is no excuse.
I suppose thats your BEE myth proven, a black person with little or no education should just be offered a job as a company director...Right?? Now I understand why you have such a big problem with BEE.
For example Tish …
Not everyone had the same opportunities as I had. I think it is for that reason that I went an extra mile in explaining the issue about extra tuition often offered only in Maths and science. Automatically this excludes a huge amount of individuals..(it would be the case anywhere in the world). I had a lot of support around me. There are millions who were less opportuned than me.
South Africa's problems are not one size fits all.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tish11
South Africa's problems are not one size fits all.
True, so why must we have a 'one size fits all' solution? It isn't going to work, and unless the SA government faces up to this fact very soon it will be too late to do anything about it.

You talk sensibly. But you know as well as I do that many, many others in SA are not so measured and moderate in their language or in their intentions for the future. Quite apart from other considerations, Mugabe is held up as a hero. There is much more one could say, but surely that one fact says it all.

Pablo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.