British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   So, we are thinking of moving...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/so-we-thinking-moving-438435/)

Susie1979UK Mar 29th 2007 1:21 pm

So, we are thinking of moving......

Hi all, new to the forum today. Had a read through of all the posts and discussions which make very interesting reading.

My Fiancee is South African, he has been living here for 7 years and we have been together for 2. He left to come here because he was a victim of crime and got fed up with having to look over his shoulder. He used to say he'd never go back...........

Recently, we have both been considering relocating to South Africa. I for one, am losing my faith in the UK, I work in Social Services and we have a new asylum seeker each week, most of whom are blatently not genuine cases but still are given support from our welfare system. I am also sick of the 'chav' culture, young teenagers having children to secure council accommodation, the level of 'job seekers' who think that certain jobs are beneath them, street drinkers, political correctness gone mad,etc, there was even an armed robbery at our local off licence the other week and this is in Surrey!:ohmy:

Now, I know about the pitfalls of living in South Africa, the crime, the difference in lifestyle, my partner has been more than honest about what the reality is like. But at this point in time, it still seems more appealing than the UK.

I've read all the comments about 'Don't do it', 'you're a fool' but IF we were to do it, how would we do it successfully?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

TouristTrap Mar 29th 2007 1:44 pm

Re: So, we are thinking of moving......

Look, let's not beat about the bush. You've read it all and want some sort of positive justification on why you should move there.

I say, go for it. You know what the dangers are, so go ahead.

But before you go just think about this.

I guess the millions of South Africans who are living in the UK right now (including your fiance), many away from families and friends and all they know, moved there from paradise by mistake. What has changed since he moved away?

Tegwyn Mar 29th 2007 3:43 pm

Ye gads! How can people ignore the obvious??:blink: Perhaps relocating within the U.K. is a far safer bet than anywhere in S.A. Firstly, you are going to have a bugger of a time simply trying to get a job. You will be affirmatively actionized out of any opportunity. Also, better get used to being locked into your home, and never doing the simple things like going for a walk on your own ever again. If you think the treasures entering the U.K. are something to be concerned about, you 'aint seen nuthin yet Madame.:eek: By all means though, do go ahead. You have been warned. :lightbulb:

kevinhenator Mar 29th 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Susie1979UK (Post 4577564)
Hi all, new to the forum today. Had a read through of all the posts and discussions which make very interesting reading.

My Fiancee is South African, he has been living here for 7 years and we have been together for 2. He left to come here because he was a victim of crime and got fed up with having to look over his shoulder. He used to say he'd never go back...........

Recently, we have both been considering relocating to South Africa. I for one, am losing my faith in the UK, I work in Social Services and we have a new asylum seeker each week, most of whom are blatently not genuine cases but still are given support from our welfare system. I am also sick of the 'chav' culture, young teenagers having children to secure council accommodation, the level of 'job seekers' who think that certain jobs are beneath them, street drinkers, political correctness gone mad,etc, there was even an armed robbery at our local off licence the other week and this is in Surrey!:ohmy:

Now, I know about the pitfalls of living in South Africa, the crime, the difference in lifestyle, my partner has been more than honest about what the reality is like. But at this point in time, it still seems more appealing than the UK.

I've read all the comments about 'Don't do it', 'you're a fool' but IF we were to do it, how would we do it successfully?

Hi Susie,

I am South African, living in SA at the mo, and we are desperately trying to get out (in fact a my wife and three boys leave in a months time). I understand your reasons for wanting to leave UK completely, but I can assure you that you will be trading one set of problems for a whole bunch of new ones (and much. much worse ones). Can you not rather look at another country? NZ, OZ etc?

I know it can be disheartening when all you read on this forum are negative posts, but there is honestly a very good reason for that - this country is not going to get better, and you are taking a massive risk if you come here.

What is quite interesting about your post is the similarities I can actually see with what you are finding unbearable to what is happening in South Africa: massive increase in assylum seekers from north of out borders (this is going to get worse as Zim continues its slide), teenage pregnancies are getting so bad here that the education department is making special provision for schoolgoing pregnant kids to get maternity leave, and of course......i dont need to mention it.......but I will - crime.

I keep wanting to end this post with something positive about South Africa. I really cant in good faith say anything. For me the best thing about SA will be the view from the plane as I leave for New Zealand.

Best of luck to you.

PS. I am selling my house in Durban area-ish if you are going to move here ;)

jenny varney Mar 30th 2007 10:15 am

Hi Susie,

Nice to see another new person signed on. I was the same as you my husband and I are/were who knows thinking of moving to SA and I searched out this site and its been great really as its what I needed a reality check.

My husband and I spent a lot of time in Zim before it all kicked off to bad and I fell in love with the place and believe me if it was safe to go there I would have been there a long time ago, I was married in Zim and it breaks my heart to see it so bad, but I really can see SA being just as bad. We are off next week to SA on holiday and a bit of soul searching, I have not written it off all together.

My husband is in the military and has been away for 7 months and he has some work to do out there when on holiday so he has missed all of my contact with people from this forum and I will soon be filling him in on the news.

I have really made my mind up that SA is not really for me, I wouldn't be able to walk my dogs, travel about and go places I would like to go to and do just as I want but I think the best thing for me is to go and have my holiday and make my decision together with my husband.

I lived in Czech Republic for 2 years and my husband was away a lot even when we lived there and I travelled all over Europe and Eastern Europe in my Campervan just me and the dog and I felt totally safe all the time and I suppose thats the free spirit in me and I just would not be able to do that in SA and I would become very frustrated and very unhappy and I think I would probably take chances and thats just stupid.

I teach in a local college in Scotland and I have researched work prospects for me and the sum total of this is nothing. I would not be able to work, no-one is interested in me, I have tried. I even looked at studying for different quals to make me more employable but to be honest is it worth it?? lots of hard work for nothing.

God I need to stop going on. So thats me so far. I wish it was different but I believe this would be suicide really so I will have a good holiday, do lots of research, look at houses, security, all that stuff and will get back to you all.

Oh ps. I had a look on websites at houses and made a few enquiries thats funny as they are bending over backwards to get me into their real estate offices now to sell sell sell. No I wont buy anything.

Take care everyone

Jenny:eek:

PSSCORER Mar 30th 2007 8:29 pm

Our house is currently on the market and as soon as it's sold -we're off to SA.

My husband is South African and we have lived in Cornwall for the last 10 years. We have 2 young children- who have SA birth certificates. I will neede a visa which I will apply for out there.

I have been out several times, and the longest I have stayed is 6months. I was last there in 2004. I thought I new all about the risks in SA. People we know have been victims of crime - but I am still prepared to go. Am I mad?

I am hoping to live a better quality of life in a small seaside town about an hour and a half south of Durban. I have 2 friends that have returned over the past couple of years and are loving it.

I hope to have more time to spend with my family and friends and be able to afford to go on holidays - instead of paying back tax credit overpayments and taking my holiday entitlement when I am sick!

I like where we will be moving to, I know I wouldn't walk through the streets after dark and there will be places I won't drive on my own - but my parents visit Manchester regularly and I feel safer in Port Edward than I do in Manchester.

Have I got it all wrong? Most of the serious crimes are committed in the cities, just as it is over here - isn't it?

has anyone any advice? :blink:

Campbells Mar 30th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by PSSCORER (Post 4583918)

My husband is South African and we have lived in Cornwall for the last 10 years. We have 2 young children- who have SA birth certificates. I will neede a visa which I will apply for out there.

I have been out several times, and the longest I have stayed is 6months. I was last there in 2004. I thought I new all about the risks in SA. People we know have been victims of crime - but I am still prepared to go. Am I mad?

I am hoping to live a better quality of life in a small seaside town about an hour and a half south of Durban. I have 2 friends that have returned over the past couple of years and are loving it.

I hope to have more time to spend with my family and friends and be able to afford to go on holidays - instead of paying back tax credit overpayments and taking my holiday entitlement when I am sick!

I like where we will be moving to, I know I wouldn't walk through the streets after dark and there will be places I won't drive on my own - but my parents visit Manchester regularly and I feel safer in Port Edward than I do in Manchester.

Have I got it all wrong? Most of the serious crimes are committed in the cities, just as it is over here - isn't it?

Yes, my advise is don't go to SA.

If not for your sake, for your children.

Get onto www.24.com ans see the risk you will put your children in over therer in SA.

TouristTrap Mar 30th 2007 9:04 pm

I will only address one or two things.

Does your husband have a job to go to? The South Coast is not exactly a haven for employment. We have a bunch of family who lived down there and everyone is struggling to make ends meet.

You say your children are young. Have you thought of what they will do when they are adults, for employment? Looked at the schooling issues?

Just two things to think about.

Originally Posted by PSSCORER (Post 4583918)

Campbells Mar 30th 2007 9:12 pm

Hi all, new to the forum today.

Define success? Staying alive ?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Campbells Mar 30th 2007 9:18 pm

there was even an armed robbery at our local off licence the other week and this is in Surrey!:

Oh my, one armed robbery ! Go to South Africa where this is happening in the schools probably every day so you can imagine the rest of the place.

Q: Why is there armed guards everywhere you go in SA, im most cases at cararks at the local supermarket. You see that anywhere` in UK or even Europe for that matter?

Can you answer this question, there are many optiions open to you, why SA ?

Cheers

PSSCORER Apr 1st 2007 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4584071)
I will only address one or two things.

Does your husband have a job to go to? The South Coast is not exactly a haven for employment. We have a bunch of family who lived down there and everyone is struggling to make ends meet.

You say your children are young. Have you thought of what they will do when they are adults, for employment? Looked at the schooling issues?

Just two things to think about.

He doesn't have a job to go to, but i am an accounting technician and his mum is an accountant. The plan is for me to become involved with her business. Paul is currently studying so I am used to being the breadwinner!

Do you know anything about the visa side of things?

My plan was to enter SA on the travel visa and then apply for residency out there. A friend has recently done the same thing, although she doesn't work so I'm not sure if the temporary visa i'll get will allow me to work.

Apparently it can take up to 2 years to get your visa, my friend has to keep renewing her temporary one while her application is in the queue.

I've left several messages with the SA consulate in London - but have had no reply.

Any advice on visa's / work would be appreciated.

TouristTrap Apr 1st 2007 11:39 pm

I don't know much about the visa side. What I do know from reading this and other boards is that it takes a very long time to get your residency. BUT, this IS Africa after all, there are vays und means....*wink wink*

Campbells Apr 2nd 2007 12:38 am

Originally Posted by PSSCORER (Post 4590228)
He doesn't have a job to go to, but i am an accounting technician and his mum is an accountant. The plan is for me to become involved with her business. Paul is currently studying so I am used to being the breadwinner!

Do you know anything about the visa side of things?

My plan was to enter SA on the travel visa and then apply for residency out there. A friend has recently done the same thing, although she doesn't work so I'm not sure if the temporary visa i'll get will allow me to work.

Apparently it can take up to 2 years to get your visa, my friend has to keep renewing her temporary one while her application is in the queue.

I've left several messages with the SA consulate in London - but have had no reply.

Any advice on visa's / work would be appreciated.

Are you both aware of the racial preferencing employment programmes in SA?

That is that the vast majority of jobs MUST be given to black people.

There is extremely high unemployment in South Africa which is probably at 40%.

If I was you I would check out all the hard facts before you go there on a whim.

There are currently hoards of people running away from Zimbabwe into South Africa which means that there is an illegal immigrant problem, which has been going on there for years. Personally I wouldn’t take chances and try to work illegally as if you end up in jail in SA you will no doubt end-up being raped and HIV infected.

You probably know all this – right? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lizmar Apr 2nd 2007 11:08 am

Do not come here... honestly.

Brutal murders... rapes... oh so no....

We are OUT OF HERE. I'm off to Perth in 2 weeks, and would probably return for my 1month notice in May,and then i'll be packing. Hubby will join after school term 22 June...

oh no... this place is like hell. I'm so paranoid - my parents are staying with me for 3 days as hubby is on a rugby tour -

how sick is that! not save alone, not save anywhere...

I am sick (mentally) of paranoia... no do not come here...

Yebogogo Apr 2nd 2007 11:25 am

Hi Susie,

Just to answer your question about how you would do it successfully, a lot depends on your skills and situation.

Firstly - go there on holiday for a month but live more as you would live rather than living it up. If it still appeals then here's a few semi - obvious points which may help.

1) Make sure you have sorted out all your business at home and leave with a clean slate - sending money back can be difficult, so make sure you can easily cover any left over bills, debts with funds in your UK account - have people you are willing to act as you reps in the UK. Keep a security account of at least 3000 pounds to cover you if you need to return.
2) Security, Security, Security - Make sure you take lots of precautions and don't take risks. Always be on your guard, don't be flashy, do live in a secure neighbourhood, don't annoy people. Accept that heavy crime is a fact of life but do not show fear or loathing. This goes from the moment you arrive at the airport.
3) Unless you have rare work skills - you will probably need to get married for Visa purposes.
4) Even then you will not be eligible for permanent residence for 5 years (last years crackdown on fake marriages) but you will be eligible for temporary residence - apply for this before you go.
5) If you are married you will be able to work but it's not always easy to find and wages are generally low, therefore it will really help if you have a fair bit of savings or if your Fiancee has a well paid skill. For Work Visas, first find someone who really wants to give you a job (maybe Fiancee's friends?) and then it's a fairly easy procedure - see http://www.homecomingrevolution.co.z...elated_id=1910 - if you have a serious can do attitude it will help.
6) In a similar way, if you have a bit of money and you/your fi are enterprising then SA is not a bad place to run a business, costs are low and you can make a fair living with good business skills. If your fiancee has any BEE creditentials and contacts then it is a good place and time to start a business.
7) Make lots of friends but choose carefully, South Africans can be very friendly and generous but watch who you trust - there are also a lot of bullshitters.
8) Try to be very positive about the country and its people, don't have a bad thing to say but also don't slag off where you are from - this trait alone will make you popular. Listen more than you talk, be generous and accept generousity.
9) Enjoy the climate, the culture, the food, support the sports teams, visit the museums, look at ways you can help people without comprimising you own security.
10) Read everything you can about SA but never claim to be an expert, just a student, learn how to deal with people asking you why you are there? It will help to learn at least the basics of a local language (Prob Zulu or Sotho)