Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

So, we are thinking of moving......

So, we are thinking of moving......

Old May 16th 2007, 1:49 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, we are thinking of moving......

Originally Posted by malibu
Yes, crime is bad but put it in perspective .....
No kidding? We have.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Malibu, I'm interested in your perspective and know your environs extremely well.
without any personal information, which suburb do you live in?
I'm having difficulty coming to terms with your description.
When i left at the end of 2004, my maid(Hell, my daughters other grandmother more like) was earning twice the minimum wage as set out by the govt. plus accommodation/pension/medical
in fact, of all our friends paid their helpers more than.You had to keep the good ones,they were entrusted with the safety of your children and home.

You dont buy a Ferrari and then put cheap retread tyres on.

One of my daughters schoolfriends mother asked for some help in finding a helper and childminder.
Isabel refused point blank to recommend anyone, her comment: The blacks and the indians expect you to work all the time and dont pay.
Her comment, not mine.

Regarding the crime, you must move in a limited circle, I'm looking at this weeks Community policing Forum report for Midrand just up the road from Pretoria where it was a quiet week.

Happy to post the link and the street addresses but there were 14 Burglaries, 3 house Robberies with guns,our friend Rick was shot in his driveway ,8 cars stolen, 7 Hi-Jackings but it was a good week.
There were no rapes, no-one died.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:54 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

We've now lived in Pretoria just over a year and have not personally experienced anything bad, nor do I know anybody who has although everybody seems to know somebody who knows somebody who has.

That's not to underplay the problem of crime - there is a lot of it but it mostly affects poor black people.
That is total nonsense.

We live in a safe neighbourhood where people walk around and children cycle to school.
Where is that ?

We're obviously privileged but many white people here seem to relish talking about crime - the favourite dinner-party conversation - hardly the best way to get a realistic handle on crime.
I assume from the way you refer to white people that you are black ?

South Africa is a beautiful country with a lot of potential but also with huge problems; desperate poverty and dismal standards of education being two.
So whose responsibility are these huge problems ?

Why not do something positive like paying your domestic workers a decent wage so that they can actually afford to feed and clothe themselves and their families and send their kids to school?
Perhaps the real problem is that it needs to come from the top down. I.e. the ANC stop throwing million R parties like the recent one in Nelspruit which per head cost R13 000 for a few hour party. Perhaps the people of South Africa need to be pointing the finger at them as that is the PEOPLE’S MONEY that are pissing against the wall whilst YOUR huge problems remain.

The ANC should be setting the example

I suspect lots of people contributing to this forum can afford to pay a few hundred rand extra per month. It's worth remembering that about a quarter of the population can't afford to eat properly and lots of parents can't afford to send their children to school.
Whilst YOUR GOVERNMENT squanders money like there is no tomorrow. For example, your president Mbeki R 92 million on a wall around his house. Please, GET REAL.

Yes, crime is bad but put it in perspective and do something to help reduce crime instead.
I am doing something about it and it starts with awareness otherwise it remains denial.
I would like to ask you. What are you doing about the situation ? You stated earlier that you are privileged therefore you must be in a position to help those in need .

Africa is currently under review in terms of its governance and ability to retain sustainability. It is all very well to keep getting debt cancelled but there has to come a time to stand on your own two feet otherwise you just keep feeding the problem and that is not a solution.

Cheers
Old May 17th 2007, 9:33 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So, what's happening ?

We've now lived in Pretoria just over a year and have not personally experienced anything bad.

Why not do something positive like paying your domestic workers a decent wage so that they can actually afford to feed and clothe themselves and their families and send their kids to school?
Why do you think this is happening ?

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=521459

Do you think this is due to low wages ?

Cheers
Old May 17th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future
Default Re: So, what's happening ?

Originally Posted by Campbells
Why do you think this is happening ?

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=521459

Do you think this is due to low wages ?

Cheers

The same stale excuse will be trotted out - apartheid and the white racist regime!
Old May 18th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
The thing is, the moment they start pushing in that direction, what do the taxi people do? Blockade all traffic in the major cities, which they did last year again if I recall correctly, and the govt is forced to back down. The NATS were never able to collect tax from them either. They're an extremely powerful renegade lot who do whatever the heck they want to do.
The blockade was because they were again attempting to stop the small taxi's and be forced to use the 20 or 30 seat version, with seed monitoring built in to procecute speedsters. The NATS never realy considered it to be a huge revenue source, but it has grown in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. If you own a small Nissan or Toyota, and the engine can be used in a taxi, it has a good risk of becoming an involuntary engine donor.

On the Carte Blanche show they seemed to get it right. A link on that and similar
http://allafrica.com/stories/200705110224.html
Old May 18th 2007, 9:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sa2oz
The blockade was because they were again attempting to stop the small taxi's and be forced to use the 20 or 30 seat version, with seed monitoring built in to procecute speedsters. The NATS never realy considered it to be a huge revenue source, but it has grown in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. If you own a small Nissan or Toyota, and the engine can be used in a taxi, it has a good risk of becoming an involuntary engine donor.

On the Carte Blanche show they seemed to get it right. A link on that and similar
I think the big one brewing is – MONORAIL

That will get a few taxi drivers mad and perhaps a few more gun battles in the streets
Old May 18th 2007, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by sa2oz

We shall see. They're a renegade lot who do whatever the heck they want and have never been able to be controlled.
Old May 20th 2007, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Tish11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest, why do you guys care so much? Cant believe you still read stuff about SA. We all know its a mess, I'm just puzzled that you actually spend time reading the newspapers all of which seem to report the same bad things daily.
Old May 20th 2007, 8:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tish11
Just out of interest, why do you guys care so much? Cant believe you still read stuff about SA. We all know its a mess, I'm just puzzled that you actually spend time reading the newspapers all of which seem to report the same bad things daily.
I for one have said many times that I used to consider SA my home and I am not SA born & bred as others in this forum are (as well as my wife). They are AFRICANS regardless if they are white, black or green. It is their home and many of us ( me included) still have family and dear friends back in SA.

I have several nephews with young children over there.

I can not comment on why the South African newspapers are mostly filled with crime and horror stories and as one of the moderators recently explained finds the horror difficult to believe.

It is sad that the reports of the same murder, rape and slaughter are a reflection of what is happening in SA . I guess you can say a bit like a scoreboard, if the slaughter continues expect to hear about it continuously.

Hopes that helps with your confusion.
Old May 20th 2007, 11:11 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tish11
In one word, FAMILY. Working my ass off to get family members the hell out of there. Sad, as it was once a place we all considered home.
Old May 28th 2007, 7:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
In one word, FAMILY. Working my ass off to get family members the hell out of there. Sad, as it was once a place we all considered home.
Exactly ...............