Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

I only want to hear nice things.....

I only want to hear nice things.....

Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:39 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I only want to hear nice things.....

Originally Posted by Daxk
Aaah Dianne, mid-summer afternoons, the cumulo nimbus would start building, dark grey with soft white cotton on the sides, flashes of light,the yellow long grass would start waving in the breeze, sussarating is the best way I can describe the sounds, then big, fat, raindrops would hit the hard,red,sunbaked earth, the smell of first rain is indescribable except to those who have smelt it,which is right now to those who have inhaled that dust.
You have never seen smiles as white or heard an infectious belly laugh greater than you would hear on a thursday afternoon on the maids day off when they would get together for their teas and juicy gossip.

The night sky's over the Namib Desert on a Moonless night, The careful way a Namib Elephant walks to not destroy plants

For the Fisherman,the adrenalin as you wait for the wave set to leave the beach, two outboard Motors burbling healthily cos one motor is not enough for those huge waves, the heartstopping scream of a fishing reel when a barracuda or please god, a marlin or sailfish strikes,
The quiet discussions next to a fire fed by tree branches that were young when Ghandi got kicked of a train,old brown sherry as a nightcap,the smell of Boerie and filet,Putu Pap and tomato and onion gravy lingers in the air.
barefeet, shorts and a t-shirt and you know that even if you argue tomorrow is another day.

The laughter, friendliness, go get it attitudes,the humour and sharp ripostes,
the competitiveness, good natured, even amongst best friends for wives,profit,cars,fish,kids,opposing teams, it never stops, and there's a laugh
and a saying "Jaaaa well"

There's also a spirit of adventure and recklessness, a take a chance attitude,
an incredible pride and stubborness. They dont give up easily, they make a plan somehow.
But if you hurt them, they only forgive what they forget, and they never forget, no matter what colour,tribe or creed.
unless it's round a fire, drink in hand, then they talk , dear God they talk, bitter enemies, family feuds, all forgotten next to a fire till tomorrow

Sorry people ,i've just gotten lost here in what my daughter will miss.
what a pity
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I dearly loved the life and am grateful for the opportunity I've had.

Dianne, The Blue train was awesome but like a lot of other things, is a bit like a dowager Aunt who has fallen on hard times..
I can STRONGLY recommend Rovos Rail, they do an ultra luxury train (Steam)
all over SA, Down to the Kruger and if they do the one to the VIC falls, that is indescribable.
Very Colonial,Steam and Waterford crystal, Crisply starched sheets , it is something else.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:08 pm
don't worry be happy

DIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really niceDIANE UK is just really nice

Dianne, The Blue train was awesome but like a lot of other things, is a bit like a dowager Aunt who has fallen on hard times..
I can STRONGLY recommend Rovos Rail, they do an ultra luxury train (Steam)
all over SA, Down to the Kruger and if they do the one to the VIC falls, that is indescribable.
Very Colonial,Steam and Waterford crystal, Crisply starched sheets , it is something else.[/QUOTE]

THANKS FOR THAT, HOPEFULLY ONE DAY I WILL GIVE IT A TRY. ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO THE VICTORIA FALLS
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DIANE UK
Thanks so much for all your posts. Im glad you can all remember the good times you have had in South Africa. Now i hope you still have good times wherever you are.

Has any boby ever been on the 'Blue Train'. That is something i would like to do but i gather it is vvvvery expensive
Yes it is expensive. I only know people who have been on it.
My father in law did a bit on its upgrade a few years back . He reckons it has to be seen to be believed.
http://www.bluetrain.co.za/default.htm .The rates are on the website

For me afternoon lightning and thunder storms on the highveld, the smell of ionised clean air. Crayfishing at Houtbay, the view from Tablemountain, harbour foreshore, Capepoint nature reserve, the line in the oceans Indian and Atlantic, sundown in the krugerpark on a rivercamp with meat on the braai. Touring the wine farms.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:33 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Did the Blue Train waaaaaaaay back when. It was THE event to travel to the Cape. Not too long ago, tourists on the train had an unfortunate incident where the train got stuck in the middle of nowhere due to someone not filling her up! It was a rather cold unpleasant event apparently. Link is here somewhere because I had written about it when I read it in the paper. Ah Vic Falls, Karibe Dam, Zambezi and all them magical places. Now that is heavenly wild Africa. I preferred the rustic stuff to the typical tourist stuff. I grew up playing in the muck and trudging through bush and it was brilliant. I must have been about 14 before I saw a telly for the first time. Too busy living life.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:12 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Did the Blue Train waaaaaaaay back when. It was THE event to travel to the Cape. Not too long ago, tourists on the train had an unfortunate incident where the train got stuck in the middle of nowhere due to someone not filling her up! It was a rather cold unpleasant event apparently. Link is here somewhere because I had written about it when I read it in the paper. Ah Vic Falls, Karibe Dam, Zambezi and all them magical places. Now that is heavenly wild Africa. I preferred the rustic stuff to the typical tourist stuff. I grew up playing in the muck and trudging through bush and it was brilliant. I must have been about 14 before I saw a telly for the first time. Too busy living life.
Great life wasn't it?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:57 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Great life wasn't it?
Yeah it was

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=76

One of things that is difficult to get used to in NZ is the inconsistency. I have met a few Brits here that seem t o have been “kiwized” and change their mind as the wind blows.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...142127,00.html

But then again the English can do it too.

The Scots have their fair share of wind and anyone that has worn a kilt (properly) will tell you that.

South Africans on the other hand haven’t discovered the wind to decide which way it is blowing. There’s a fair wind blowing from the north.

Mind you some of it just hot air.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

vhpacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Durban for 3 years in the late 90's. Rented a very nice home in Durban North and worked out at Ballito. I think those years were some of the happiest of my life. I am now looking for a job in SA or East Africa. I was a Helicopter Pilot when I lived there, missing the job and I want to get back into commercial flying. My licence was suspended 2 years ago due to an unrelated injury, but I am due to 'get it back' in a few weeks.

I loved the weather, the laid back lifestyle, the low cost of living, the landscape, the wildlife, the friendly people (on the whole), the cheap, high quality cannabis (so I indulge occasionally), and the quality of the homes......did I mention the weather???

I am single again and I am ready to take another break from NZ, (this country is not heaven on earth, despite what most foreigners think)

Yes the crime is certainly an issue, I would never bring a family to SA. But as long as you pick a good area to live in and you are careful it's not a huge problem. You are asking for trouble if you walk or drive around the poorer areas, sure.

99% of people on this forum will probably disagree with me though, but most people who 'put down' SA have only ever heard about the bad side of the country.....

Each to there own I guess

Last edited by vhpacer; Jul 8th 2007 at 6:30 am.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:44 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vhpacer
I lived in Durban for 3 years in the late 90's. Rented a very nice home in Durban North and worked out at Ballito. I think those years were some of the happiest of my life. I am now looking for a job in SA or East Africa. I was a Helicopter Pilot when I lived there, missing the job and I want to get back into commercial flying. My licence was suspended 2 years ago due to an unrelated injury, but I am due to 'get it back' in a few weeks.

I loved the weather, the laid back lifestyle, the low cost of living, the landscape, the wildlife, the friendly people (on the whole), the cheap, high quality cannabis (so I indulge occasionally), and the quality of the homes......did I mention the weather???

I am single again and I am ready to take another break from NZ, (this country is not heaven on earth, despite what most foreigners think)

Yes the crime is certainly an issue, I would never bring a family to SA. But as long as you pick a good area to live in and you are careful it's not a huge problem. You are asking for trouble if you walk or drive around the poorer areas, sure.

99% of people on this forum will probably disagree with me though, but most people who 'put down' SA have only ever heard about the bad side of the country.....

Each to there own I guess
great - just what South Africa needs. A helicopter flying stoner.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:56 am
Just Joined

vhpacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, all cannabis smokers are brain dead idiots who cannot function properly outside the living room.

You sound like an old-fashioned, uptight christian. If you were'nt you would'nt be saying things like that. You should'nt insult someone because they chose to do something that you don't approve of.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:13 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Yep, all cannabis smokers are brain dead idiots who cannot function properly outside the living room.

You sound like an old-fashioned, uptight christian. If you were'nt you would'nt be saying things like that. You should'nt insult someone because they chose to do something that you don't approve of.
If you want to puff the magic dragon that's your trip man. I just hope i'm not on that bird to freedom anytime soon. I'd love to rap with you on a transcendental plane cos you seem like a totally beautful groovy cat.

I know that you know that I know that you know that I know what im jiving about. Ya dig?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:49 am
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
What I said was. "dit is 'n ander storie" that is another story. and the last sentence meant that I still can remember some of the language for a "soutie". Was a favourite, not so pleasant term the Afrikaners had used for foreigners. I think they may like us now.
I am still called Soutie!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:36 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to glamourise the place by any means, they do have some major problems regarding crime. I just don't think SA deserves to be labelled as a crime-ridden, wasteland.
I think you may just find things have changed a bit since the 90's. No doubt any unpleasant feelings can be modified with a few puffs of pot.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I get the distinct feeling that there is some 'schizophrenia' around lately....
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

flown will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Hluhluew-Umfolozi Zululand Tree lodge one of the most relaxing places on the planet. La Petite Ferme in franschhoek, the wine they make is some of the best I have ever had and the restaurant is to die for. The green dolphin in Durbs, fish and chips a cold beer and watching the surf. If I do nothing else when I next visit I will eat well.
your true!but rember, good things and bad things are unseparable.what imean is you cant know the bad without the good ones!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.