Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

I am an ex SA now living in Aussie.I have family all over SA and an Aunt who has just returned to the UK.

Would you like to live behind huge fences with barbed wire,glass etc.Panic buttons,two sets of gates into your property to make sure nobody sneaks in the first.

Make sure you dont stop at a "robot" Traffic light after dark.

You do not go near any inner city only stick to the patrolled malls.Dont call the police they wont even bother

I have kids now and we will never go back!!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hahahaha
Book yourself a plane ticket and take a walk through the worst parts of Rocinha or Cali's Jamundi.
South Africa has 50 murders a day - the 52 is from a couple of years ago (typical of that moronic website).
Why is it that SA is a popular holiday destination? I'm living in the UK ATM and haven't been back for a while but I know plenty of people who've booked a vacation. They've all come back without incident in one piece. Strange huh?
You keep trying to prove that RSA is not the worst, only the 10th worst place in the world. What for?
The police dont respond because there are not enough of them, and they have limited vehicles and firepower. I saw first hand for several years.

Wher the hell is Rochina and who cares? There are three in Brazil and one in Portugal. Would one not want to go to a better place than where you live, not find the most problem filled spots on the planet, then say " Thank goodness we dont live there".
Wait till the world cup in 2010 for the Orgish pics to be on the net, and you will say they are not representative of South Africa.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Sangoma is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you have to be realistic when looking at this.

Firstly, why are there so many people from SA who have returned to/come to live in the UK, something like 1.2 million? (I intentionally did not say South Africans, as many of these are British and have returned to the UK after a long time in SA)

Don't look at exchange rates when comparing salaries, look at expenses and what you can buy in terms of groceries etc.

Medical insurance (medical aid) in SA takes a huge chunk of your salary, as does pension (pension is around 10% of gross)

Tax in SA is not lower than the UK once you earn a decent salary.

Anyone who tells you the crime rate in SA isn't worse, or not much worse than the UK is quite simply living in cloud cukoo land. Do some research and get the facts, not what some people would have you believe.

Having a white skin in SA is not the problem, it is not having a black skin that is the problem. (black in SA terms, not including Indian etc as it does in the UK) Indians in SA mostly find things as hard as whites do.

Affirmative Action is not applied in the terms it is stated in, but particularly in government and local government is applied to give blacks preference at all costs. There should be some levelling of the situation, which is fair, but as others have stated, it has just reversed the old situation and corrected nothing.

Unless you can afford private schooling, most schools are not as good as the worst in the UK, and certainly have nowhere near the resources.

Housing is no longer cheap, and interest rates are twice what they are in the UK.

I don't know anyone in SA who thinks it is safe to use public parks etc. as we do in the UK.

People in SA don't live in fear, but the likelyhood of something happening is much greater than the UK, and most people there hear of a couple of incidents a week involving people they know in some way.
Remember most people in SA do not have any option but to stay.

South Africa is a beautiful and wonderful place, and the people of all colours are mostly warm and friendly, unfortunatley the politics of the place makes it unpleasant for many, and definitely not the first choice to bring up a family.

We live infinitely better on £50k a year than we did on R650k a year in SA, we are able to buy what we want, have new cars, holidays when we fell like it and still save.

If you are single, and can earn a very good salary, think about it.
If you are married, and certainly if you have a family, avoid it.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

artuk is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it is worth, I moved to SA in 1975, and lived there for 25 years.
After the elections in 94 I was very positive, expanded my business there and bought more property.
In 2000 I left as I personally knew 27 people who had been hijacked, 7 people I knew murdered and every business in my area had at least one armed robbery.
I found the UK difficult to live in so returned for 6 months in 2004. Within a few weeks a neighbour was murdered and good friends of mine held up and robbed at gunpoint in their home. I came back to UK after 4 months and although I miss the lifestyle SA has to offer I could not live again in a society where I have to live behind steel security bars and gates on my house, and fear for my life every time I went out.
I miss the lifestyle and my kids would never live in the UK. The level of violent crime is appalling and as my business involved working with Police and security people I know it is getting worse by the day. Even people I knew who said they would never, never, never leave are making plans to get out. It's an individual choice but the official crime stats were 18 500 murders last year, and that's the 'official' stats. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

NO way. I moved back to the UK. Yes it is beautiful country. Some lovely houses and estes. Yoo can almost kid your-self you are in a safe Spansih compound. Until you step out.

Walk along the beach and there are gangs of often drunk blacks lurking. Many times I have seen women running along the beach to me. When they get to me they said a black man came at them, exposing them-selves to them. This was mid morning on a fantastic beach north of Capetown. You can never let your childrenplay in apark or on abeach in a group by them-selves. Is that the life you want?

Drive on their roads and you may as well drive on afir ground dodgem. Reckless. There is no policing. they can be paid off for 200 rand. Drink driving is normal. They can't see what is wrong with getting p*** at a Braii and then driving 20KM home. And I mean staggering, falld down drink.

Go into the pubs and see how amny have knives, guns, etc.. Thrn get pestered on the streets by beggars, men, women, old, young for money.

Walk around and see all those wonderful houses encased in 10 foot walls. Cameras. Electric gates, barbed wire. Private security.

Watch the news and rea dthe papers and see the slaughter that went on the day before.

I lived there for 7 years. NEVER again. It's a shame. But I can only see it gettign worse. Almost every young white person I spoke to was leaving for Europe/ U.S.A.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by crusheduk
NO way. I moved back to the UK. Yes it is beautiful country. Some lovely houses and estes. Yoo can almost kid your-self you are in a safe Spansih compound. Until you step out.

Walk along the beach and there are gangs of often drunk blacks lurking. Many times I have seen women running along the beach to me. When they get to me they said a black man came at them, exposing them-selves to them. This was mid morning on a fantastic beach north of Capetown. You can never let your childrenplay in apark or on abeach in a group by them-selves. Is that the life you want?

Drive on their roads and you may as well drive on afir ground dodgem. Reckless. There is no policing. they can be paid off for 200 rand. Drink driving is normal. They can't see what is wrong with getting p*** at a Braii and then driving 20KM home. And I mean staggering, falld down drink.

Go into the pubs and see how amny have knives, guns, etc.. Thrn get pestered on the streets by beggars, men, women, old, young for money.

Walk around and see all those wonderful houses encased in 10 foot walls. Cameras. Electric gates, barbed wire. Private security.

Watch the news and rea dthe papers and see the slaughter that went on the day before.

I lived there for 7 years. NEVER again. It's a shame. But I can only see it gettign worse. Almost every young white person I spoke to was leaving for Europe/ U.S.A.
A black Jamaican friend of mine who has lived here in the USA for over a decade was there for a month - she went to do some volunteer work in Mozambique. She says that every single person she met over the month at social gatherings, in the stores, etc, asked if she would sponsor them to move to the US as things are dire over there........ (she would if she could - unfortunately she can't).
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

africanviolet is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not going to go over all that has been said about how bad it is in SA as it has all been said already.

We finally left with our children three years ago after the little nine month old baby was raped in the eastern cape by 7 men. Baby and child rapes are extremely common over there as the blacks believe that they can be cured of AIDS if they rape a virgin and to find a virgin they have to rape babies as most of the older children have been raped already. I could cope with the violent, execusion style, hijackings and robberies, i could cope with the schools putting up electric fences and cctv access control for the childrens safetly, i could cope with forever looking over my shoulder, but i just could not cope with the incredible violence against inocent babies and children. I was in tears most days reading the papers and hearing the news.

It is no place to bring up a family.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:57 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's not just about you - it's about OUR children

Originally Posted by africanviolet
I am not going to go over all that has been said about how bad it is in SA as it has all been said already.

We finally left with our children three years ago after the little nine month old baby was raped in the Eastern Cape by 7 men. Baby and child rapes are extremely common over there as the blacks believe that they can be cured of AIDS if they rape a virgin and to find a virgin they have to rape babies as most of the older children have been raped already. I could cope with the violent, execution style, hijackings and robberies, i could cope with the schools putting up electric fences and CCTV access control for the children’s safety, i could cope with forever looking over my shoulder, but i just could not cope with the incredible violence against innocent babies and children. I was in tears most days reading the papers and hearing the news.

It is no place to bring up a family.
THANK YOU – AT LAST…………..

Having lived in SA for 23 years and felt it my home I loved the country. We have a wee boy and he is our LIFE. Some of the news I heard via the TV or Papers brought me to tears. Yes, I am a grown male and I cried, I wept for the innocent children and it one particular case they “the barbarians” shot a one year old baby – execution style.

Ladies and gentlemen, READERS this is nothing short of EVIL.

My point:
We left SA nearly two years ago and it was not easy but are now settling in NZ and every time we hear the news of SA crime we look at each other and say “thank God we got out of that mess”. Regardless of the whom, why or where - as a parent you protect your child/ren this is inbuilt into us.

We have got beaches here, we can go for walks after dark, people are nice to each other, and there is a real community spirit. We believe that if we were attacked in a public place other people would come to help. In SA you are helpless because even the police are not interested and in most times scared themselves.

2010 may bring a short burst of money into SA but the re-course of the truth of SA that will no-doubt happen will do damage far worse than not hosting the event.

It is quite amazing to consider that in this world with so many “human rights” organisations why SA does not feature in terms of the “sorting the problem”. As a white male and the racial issues I was exposed to over the last 8 years in South Africa I can only ask, is this NOT receiving the proper attention because people feel that this ok because of the history of South Africa?

If so we need to remind ourselves that we held two world wars and got over it. If SA adopted that attitude and decided to move forward I would say that it would truly be a land of opportunity but right now as a white male there I would be lucky to get a decent job. So what should I consider an attraction for us to return to South Africa, the country where my wife and son were born? Can anyone please tell what could be better than our life in New Zealand if we went back there.

Yes, this is a challenge . It is also fact – our facts, based on decision we made for our child’s life and FUTURE. Our children are the FUTURE………..

We are happy in our new life in New Zealand. Our son has a smile that beams, to us as his parents - THAT IS PRICELESS ........
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

kevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nice

Have just read the last 15 odd pages of posts, and what strikes me the most is that (in particular) Campbells posts even from over 2 years ago are as apt today as they were then.

btw young white male living in SA (born and bred in durbs), 3 young boys all under 5. My brother and his family (2 young girls) have just (3 months) emigrated to NZ, and while they are desperately missing their house, the space and family, it only took a few hours for the reports of a gruesome farm murder to hit the headlines. This has ben followed up by personal (close friends) experiencing a violent housebreaking and attempted rape of teenage daughter. blah blah blah - i'm sure everyone has heard this all before - but this is real experience.

The concern for me though is that this situation CANNOT improve (either in south africa or on this entire continent) and the reason is quite simple (to me anyway) - there is such a strong sense of hatred that is so easily justified by the "atrocities of the past", that almost any act of violence or criminality, any unjust policy, or injustice will quite cleverly be spun and, sure as nuts, be blamed on apartheid (which was a s**t system, but can we continue to blame everything that is going wrong currently, showing no signs of improvement, on the past wrongs? I'll answer that: yes of course. try and argue that point and you are a racist.).

In SA one only has to listen to national radio stations (or watch the news) to hear how obvious the hatred and racism is. The reality of the situation is that blacks do not like whites, period (call it what it is - racism). In africa this is obviously fueled by the rhetoric of the likes of uncle bob, who will blame every single problem in his country on colonialism. White rule ended in ZIM over 20 years ago - that country is in ruin, of course purely because of ... "colonialism". Sorry folks - in 200 years time, in africa, the same drum will be beating. the same in south africa. you would think the rape of a 6 month old baby would purely be condemned, end of story. hah! this is because of the past. baby, mother, gran shot execution style in the back of the head bad enough to just be a terrible crime. no way, blame it on the previous regime. Opposed to corruption in the Government? Shut up white whinges - it was ok for the National Party government so dont complain if we do it now.

Simple really, unless you are a black briton, returning to the motherland, you will never be welcome in south africa, or africa for that matter, so rather stay where you are.

I know this isnt necessarily the forum, but I would love to hear from any black south africans that have left this country due to crime, or feeling strongly that the current regime is wrong.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Hooray for your brother. It is tough to emigrate. It takes guts and determination, but it is all worth it in the end. You'll find that most expats lose any materialism they had in S.A. and after a few years work their way back up and land up with lives they could only dream about in S.A..

I hope you're thinking of the move too.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Saw this excellent video on youtube.com

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nWNhJ7FbY4U
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:02 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by imries1
As a South African currently living in the UK, my husband, 4yr old son and I have had enough of the cold winters, the 70mile journey to work, the cost of living (yes we earn good salaries) and are basically missing home. We decided that we wanted to leave and even made a trip to NZ in june as we were considering moving there.

On our return we sat and asked ourselves why we wanted to go to NZ and every answer was that it is the same as SA. We decided that instead of nomading it around the world until we were happy, we were going to go home to good old SA.

Yes, there is a crime problem, but so does every single other country in the world have a problem - who can honestly say they have recently taken a stroll round the east end of london at night! Same applies to SA, be realistic and take your own safety seriously, don't venture into bad areas and just look after your well-being.

We have been touched by murder, my uncle was hijacked in his police car (he worked for SAP) and was shot dead at point blank range when slowing down with the hijackers in the car to avoid a major collision with another car. My brother was entrapped on a motorway at rush hour where spike were put in the road, all his tyres blew and he was robbed and they tried to murder him, he ran down the motorway for 2 miles and he ended up jumping in front of a car and stripping naked so that the occupants would realise that he wasn't armed, stop and help him get away from his attackers.

I was travelling back from Ixopo in KZN, now anyone who knows the area knows it is a bad area, the exhaust of the car i was driving fell off and i couldn't drive as there were sparks flying out the back. It was dusk and i was a woman alone, the only car who stopped for me were 2 black men in the notorious "black" taxi. They made me stand on the side of the road so i wouldn't be knocked down while they climbed under the car and cut the rubbers holding the exhaust on so I could at least get to safety. They then insisted on following me out the area to a main road to ensure i was safe. I didn't have a gun on me, they did and i know they would have used it if any harm had come to me.

I think a lot of expats LOVE to hear the bad side of SA as this gives them meaning as to why they left and re-affirms their decisions as the correct ones. Crime has no colour discreprancy and minority (yes minority) of white hating extremists in SA are just as likely to attack a black middle class family as a white middle class family.

10 years ago, if you went to any party in SA, there would be at least 3 people saying they were leaving. Now, every party I go to here, there are at least 50% saying they are planning their return to SA.

I think it is a bit sad how so many people "dis" SA and are so quick to tell anyone who is considering going home how stupid they are and just wait till they are a victim of crime before joining the "We hate SA club". SA needs more skilled people to go home, she has bred some of the most successful innovative people in the world (just look at our doctors and nurses). She needs them back to carry on building her economy which is going from strength to strength.

In short, we are leaving January 06 to go home, my husband is opening a business over there and will be taking on both black and white apprentices who are all crying out for skilled professions. We may not be making a massive diffence, but we are making a difference in those few families. Go on, slate me now, call me naive. Just remember, aren't we all allowed to make our own informed decisions that are right for us and our families.

God Bless Africa.

Hi there,

Would be MOST intersting to get an update on this post. Hope you still visit the forum and that things are working out for you & your family.

Cheers
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:56 am
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imries1
10 years ago, if you went to any party in SA, there would be at least 3 people saying they were leaving. Now, every party I go to here, there are at least 50% saying they are planning their return to SA.
In spite of living in the UK, did you only go to parties with expat South Africans?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a very interesting blurb on BBC America this morning claiming Joburg to be the deadliest city in the world!! They were discussing the crime issue in the country in general with Mbeki offering a denial of the severity of crime as the finale! You simple cannot get a clearer warning than this that you put your life, and that of your family, at risk when entering that hellhole. Mbeki's silence offers carte blanche on ethic cleansing and that came as no surprise to many of us that had lived in other african countries. We've seen it all before.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Saw a very interesting blurb on BBC America this morning claiming Joburg to be the deadliest city in the world!! They were discussing the crime issue in the country in general with Mbeki offering a denial of the severity of crime as the finale! You simple cannot get a clearer warning than this that you put your life, and that of your family, at risk when entering that hellhole. Mbeki's silence offers carte blanche on ethic cleansing and that came as no surprise to many of us that had lived in other african countries. We've seen it all before.
Truer words.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.