Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart James will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone moving out to South Africa

Don't believe the press and negative publicity - i have been here for 3 years and this place is heaven on earth.

Crime was worse in the UK.

The standard of living is amazing!!!

If you want anymore informatin give me a shout

Stu
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Esmeralda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Stuart, I may be moving to J'burg and I'm worried about a few things but mainly the crime. The area I would be living and working is Woodmead. Do you know anything about it?

I would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Esmeralda
Stuart, I may be moving to J'burg and I'm worried about a few things but mainly the crime. The area I would be living and working is Woodmead. Do you know anything about it?

I would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
HI Esmeralda

I dopn't know the area specifically but i will ask some freinds if they do. In general Joberg's crime rate has improved dramatically.

As with most countries you have to be a little bit careful but common sense eliminates 95% of the risk.

Whats bringing you to SA? Work or pleasure? What are you going to be doing over here and for how long?
Look forward to hearing form you.

Stu
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Esmeralda is an unknown quantity at this point

Its relocation with work.... I'm still hoping for Dubai instead! I'm really unsure about SA.... its only just been thrown into the ring as an option. Still lots of research to do before making up my mind. Thanks for your reply. Would appreciate hearing about Woodmead area when you can.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stuart James

Crime was worse in the UK.

Stu
BOLLOCKS as you say in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:09 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stuart James
Crime was worse in the UK
Well, I don't know about that, but from what I hear, SA has the highest rate of theft and sexual assaults.. Somehow I don't think that would be matched by the UK. But then again, I might be wrong.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Been there, done that for ten years, wouldn't recomend it to any one with a white skin.

Back in the not so sunny UK now, big sigh of relief !!!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:25 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Druid
Been there, done that for ten years, wouldn't recomend it to any one with a white skin.

Back in the not so sunny UK now, big sigh of relief !!!
Sad though, isn't it? That racism in SA is no longer talked about (at least no longer causes 'outrage') because it's now against people of white skin rather than black. SA is what I call the epitome of racism (what others call "reverse racism" - although technically, the term racism is in no way restricted to blacks) and double standards. Not even anti-racist activists who are against "any sort" of discrimination based on colour (unless they mean that white is not a colour) are willing to talk about what's going on in SA.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Dont you think its ironic,that when the rest of the world condemned the white South African Govt for being racist and they named it "Aparteit" (forgive my spelling if its wrong). Now that the "Majority Rule" the rest of the world has not condemned what is termed "Affirmative Action" in fact the rest of the world is actually supporting it.

South Africa is slowly becoming another Zimbabwe, Zambia , Angola, Mocambique etc etc etc, frightening I know but food for thought if any one is contemplating moving there !!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:54 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

I'll be flying over there for a few months next summer, but I too am rather concerned about crime issues. I was told I'd be fine, because my skin is a light brown colour (most people think I'm from the Middle East). According to that theory, I wouldn't be subjected to the type of harassment that a white person would (though my father and sister are white), and the people I'm staying with are black..however, what does everyone here think??

-Becs
Old Sep 26th 2004, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Becs
I'll be flying over there for a few months next summer, but I too am rather concerned about crime issues. I was told I'd be fine, because my skin is a light brown colour (most people think I'm from the Middle East). According to that theory, I wouldn't be subjected to the type of harassment that a white person would (though my father and sister are white), and the people I'm staying with are black..however, what does everyone here think??

-Becs
Becs,

The majority of victims in S.A. are black, not white.

edited: Should have added that white folk are disproportionaly targeted, especially those living on farms.

Last edited by izibear; Sep 26th 2004 at 5:20 pm. Reason: More to add
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Youre probably right, the majority of victims are black, scary part of that is most crime in the black areas is not even reported, but what you have to bear in mind is that whites are a substantial minority, some more scary statistics 8 out of 10 rapes are not reported and in 2001-2 ish Johannesburg ranked as the most violent city in the world next to Bogata.

Makes you wonder BMW SA developed a BM that has flame throwers as an anti hi-jack device !!!, screw the 9mm Para, ill just toast him!!!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:04 pm
Banned

Youre probably right, the majority of victims are black, scary part of that is most crime in the black areas is not even reported, but what you have to bear in mind is that whites are a substantial minority, some more scary statistics 8 out of 10 rapes are not reported and in 2001-2 ish Johannesburg ranked as the most violent city in the world next to Bogata.

Makes you wonder BMW SA developed a BM that has flame throwers as an anti hi-jack device !!!, screw the 9mm Para, ill just toast him!!!
Well, you have to look at the percentage of crimes against blacks in relation to the percent of the population they make up... A short while back, I got interested in this, as I was reading J.M Coetzee's Disgrace, set in S.A. I asked people living in SA, and they said the ratio of crimes against whites to the % of population they make up is very high. Don't know the exact numbers though..
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Isn't that just something??..Saw it on tv over here a few years ago..Something else that shocked me in the same documentary, was the couple who had laid landmines around the outside of their eight foot wall and had posted notices to the effect. They got tired of being targeted by crime.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Saw it on tv over here a few years ago..Something else that shocked me in the same documentary, was the couple who had laid landmines around the outside of their eight foot wall and had posted notices to the effect. They got tired of being targeted by crime

Thats the BBC for you - makes good news story so we all get shocked in the UK. No -one and i mean no-one has a car that shoots out fire and burns peoples legs off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.