Off to the states... am i mad?

Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to the states... am i mad?

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I only get touchy when I'm personally attacked for doing the right thing!

You can all have your fun. I just thanked the guy for putting his life at risk, not for the rights and wrongs of why.

That is all - have at it and leave me out of it from now on. If you don't agree, he fought for that right too!

I'm done in this thread.
Oh do please untwist your knickers. If anybody fought for anything it was our grandfathers in the second world war and they didn't run around expecting everyone to kiss their arses - they just did what they did and got on with it. This is as bad as that bloke in the other thread claiming he's single handedly protecting us from terrorists. Well, no.

Nobody made a personal attack, they just pointed out that it was presumptuous of you to speak on behalf of an entire board of people about whom you know little, if anything. I don't see you thanking any firefighters, EMTs or policemen - all of whom put themselves in some degree of risk to help others and they don't have to fly halfway around the world to poke their noses into international affairs to achieve it either ...

(I attack the organisations BTW, not the people. I'm sure many soldiers are very nice blokes but I'm sick and tired of the arselicking.)
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can all have your fun. I just thanked the guy for putting his life at risk, not for the rights and wrongs of why.
Which is fine, but you did it on behalf of everyone else which those people have issues with.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh do please untwist your knickers. If anybody fought for anything it was our grandfathers in the second world war and they didn't run around expecting everyone to kiss their arses - they just did what they did and got on with it. This is as bad as that bloke in the other thread claiming he's single handedly protecting us from terrorists. Well, no.

Nobody made a personal attack, they just pointed out that it was presumptuous of you to speak on behalf of an entire board of people about whom you know little, if anything. I don't see you thanking any firefighters, EMTs or policemen - all of whom put themselves in some degree of risk to help others and they don't have to fly halfway around the world to poke their noses into international affairs to achieve it either ...

(I attack the organisations BTW, not the people. I'm sure many soldiers are very nice blokes but I'm sick and tired of the arselicking.)
Originally Posted by Bob
Which is fine, but you did it on behalf of everyone else which those people have issues with.
I think everybody is taking things too seriously. I took the original responses as light hearted and not demeaning. Will who ever made the original responses please indicate if it was meant to be banter before this thread gets out of control.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think everybody is taking things too seriously. I took the original responses as light hearted and not demeaning. Will who ever made the original responses please indicate if it was meant to be banter before this thread gets out of control.
Nothing's out of control, mate - I'm just pointing out that nobody speaks for me, but me.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care either way, just pointing out why some people thought it was presumptuous to be thankful for everyone on the forum, when a personal thanks alone would have conveyed their message just fine
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:46 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

My comment was not lighthearted, though not demeaning. Somebody projecting their emotional response onto thousands of others, regardless of their own views and feelings, is presumptuous. I say this regardless of the fact that I very much admire what individual service men and women put themselves through. If the poster wishes to thank somebody on behalf of his family and friends, whose views he does know, then that's fine.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
My comment was not lighthearted, though not demeaning. Somebody projecting their emotional response onto thousands of others, regardless of their own views and feelings, is presumptuous. I say this regardless of the fact that I very much admire what individual service men and women put themselves through. If the poster wishes to thank somebody on behalf of his family and friends, whose views he does know, then that's fine.
I guess we all perceive things differently. I originally took his "thank you from everybody" as just trying to be funny since I didn't think anybody would thank someone for someone else (except maybe their mother) and didn't think he really was thanking him for everybody on BE. So I guess I was the one that took his post the wrong way.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 7th 2012 at 4:02 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:12 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we all perceive things differently. I originally took his "thank you from everybody" as just trying to be funny since I didn't think anybody would thank someone for someone else (except maybe their mother) and didn't think he really was thanking him for everybody on BE. So I guess I was the one that took his post the wrong way.
I'm usually pretty good at recognising sycophants.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:21 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

or an attempt at a passive-aggressive bullying technique.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So you have been watching the republican primaries?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:23 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
or an attempt at a passive-aggressive bullying technique.
At least nobody can ever accuse me of that, eh?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

At least nobody can ever accuse me of that, eh?
never. (probably the only thing that you can not be accused of, mind)
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:29 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
never. (probably the only thing that you can not be accused of, mind)
One of the very few things I haven't been accused of ...
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Until today, I'd never actually heard (or technically, read the words of) a talking arsehole (...or several)!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:38 pm
I have a comma problem

Until today, I'd never actually heard (or technically, read the words of) a talking arsehole (...or several)!
How'd you manage that without being a hermit?

If you think we're the worst example of such a phenomenon then you're rather lucky ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.