Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you have come to America ...

Would you have come to America ...

Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have come to America ...

How interesting. I know very little about modern astronomy, let alone its history. But do you really think people living BCE had any real notion of what they were looking at in the sky, and that they too were standing on a planetary body? It's difficult to imagine, given their unawareness of things like it being spherical, orbiting the sun, etc*. I mean, look what a surprise it was when America turned out to be on the either side of the ball (both to the Europeans and the Native Americans).

*youre going to tell me now that the Egyptians or Mayans or some such nailed this a millennium before Copernicus, aren't you 😄
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
How interesting. I know very little about modern astronomy, let alone its history. But do you really think people living BCE had any real notion of what they were looking at in the sky, and that they too were standing on a planetary body? It's difficult to imagine, given their unawareness of things like it being spherical, orbiting the sun, etc*. I mean, look what a surprise it was when America turned out to be on the either side of the ball (both to the Europeans and the Native Americans).

*youre going to tell me now that the Egyptians or Mayans or some such nailed this a millennium before Copernicus, aren't you.
The only surprise was that America was there at all. Explorers headed west were expecting to reach India. There is a reason why the islands in the Caribbean were named the "West Indies" and the natives of America were (mis)named "Indians". It was known as far back as ancient Greece, and likely further, that Earth is a sphere, and the circumference was calculated fairly accurately by the Greeks using the angles of shadows. The suggestion that anyone setting sail westwards across the Atlantic in the 15th and 16th centuries expected to "fall off the edge" is just a myth.

The revelation of Copernicus was that the earth orbits the sun, prior to that it was believed that everything orbited Earth, although Aristarchus of Samos had suggested a heliocentric model in the third century BC (only about 900 years before Copernicus ), but it didn't catch on at the time. Of course it is hard to be sure what exactly prehistoric man understood about the stars and planets, but the alignment of Stonehenge and other standing stones tells us that they were very much aware of the movements of the sun and undoubtedly other celestial bodies, and I find it hard to believe that people who clearly spent so much time and effort to track the moon and the sun had not worked out that we are standing on a sphere and observing celestial bodies spinning around us.

From the Wikipedia article on the history of astronomy:
.... The Ancient Greeks developed astronomy, which they treated as a branch of mathematics, to a highly sophisticated level. The first geometrical, three-dimensional models to explain the apparent motion of the planets were developed in the 4th century BC by Eudoxus of Cnidus and Callippus of Cyzicus. Their models were based on nested homocentric spheres centered upon the Earth. Their younger contemporaryHeraclides Ponticus proposed that the Earth rotates around its axis.

A different approach to celestial phenomena was taken by natural philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. They were less concerned with developing mathematical predictive models than with developing an explanation of the reasons for the motions of the Cosmos. In his Timaeus, Plato described the universe as a spherical body divided into circles carrying the planets and governed according to harmonic intervals by a world soul.[23] Aristotle, drawing on the mathematical model of Eudoxus, proposed that the universe was made of a complex system of concentric spheres, whose circular motions combined to carry the planets around the earth.[24] This basic cosmological model prevailed, in various forms, until the 16th century AD.

In the 3rd century BC Aristarchus of Samos was the first to suggest a heliocentricsystem, although only fragmentary descriptions of his idea survive.[25] Eratosthenes, using the angles of shadows created at widely separated regions, estimated the circumference of the Earth with great accuracy. ......

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2015 at 11:15 am.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:22 pm
Banned

ellio is an unknown quantity at this point

have i landed on the planet of knobs
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:23 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan

*youre going to tell me now that the Egyptians or Mayans or some such nailed this a millennium before Copernicus, aren't you 😄
The idea of a round earth goes back about 2,600 years as far as I know, who knows how much further back without written records.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellio
have i landed on the planet of knobs
Depending on how you land, that could prove to be quite uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The idea of a round earth goes back about 2,600 years as far as I know, who knows how much further back without written records.
The idea of a heliocentric system goes back almost as far as well. They knew their shit back then. I suppose when there's bugger all else to do at night (unless your wife was feeling cooperative), one spends their time looking up.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
....... I suppose when there's bugger all else to do at night (unless your wife was feeling cooperative), one spends their time looking up.

One spends his/her time .....

They spend their time .....

Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

They spend their time .....

When I wake up, I'll pretend to care.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:01 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

FIFY

One spends one's time.....
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq
FIFY

One spends one's time.....
I now care as much as Sultan does.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:11 pm
I have a comma problem

I now care as much as Sultan does.
Yeah, I'm a bit more awake now and I still don't care
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
don't argue with amideislas she knows best and is always right
Well, I generally try to provide tangible evidence to support my views, which is sometimes contrary to what people want to believe and therefore, unacceptable.

And to make it worse, many objectors therefore have difficulty finding supporting evidence of what they want to believe (or simply can't be bothered), so it lends to the perception that I somehow think I'm always right, simply because it's not what they want to hear, and they can't prove otherwise..

However, it would be helpful if pedantics, strawman arguments and the final "you're a moronic tosser troll bitch" weren't considered to be credible final proof that they're right and I'm wrong. But you know what they say about opinions, so no worries, I don't take it personally.

have a nice day.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 20th 2015 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, I generally try to provide tangible evidence to support my views, which is sometimes contrary to what people want to believe and therefore, unacceptable.

And to make it worse, many objectors therefore have difficulty finding supporting evidence of what they want to believe (or simply can't be bothered), so it lends to the perception that I somehow think I'm always right, simply because it's not what they want to hear, and they can't prove otherwise..

However, it would be helpful if pedantics, strawman arguments and the final "you're a moronic tosser troll bitch" weren't considered to be credible final proof that they're right and I'm wrong. But you know what they say about opinions, so no worries, I don't take it personally.

have a nice day.
In this case, though, the data from the Wikedia article about numbers of English speakers and numbers of Spanish speakers were a crock.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:53 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
In this case, though, the data from the Wikedia article about numbers of English speakers and numbers of Spanish speakers were a crock.
Well, there you go - exemplifying my point - Wasn't what you wanted to believe? Well that makes it a 'crock' dunnit?

Still, although various research on the topic varies, it seems that there's an overwhelming amount of 'crock' to go around:

The 10 Most Common Languages

2. Spanish
Its prominence in the Americas as well as in Europe makes Spanish one of the most common languages, with 405 million speakers. The Castilian dialect in Spain is held as a national standard, although Andalusian and Catalan are also spoken.
The World's Most Widely Spoken Languages

Chinese* (937,132,000)
Spanish (332,000,000)
English (322,000,000)
Bengali (189,000,000)
Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
Arabic* (174,950,000)
Portuguese (170,000,000)
Russian (170,000,000)
Japanese (125,000,000)
German (98,000,000)
French* (79,572,000)

The Top 10 Most Natively Spoken Languages

#2 – Spanish is probably in 2nd place 2nd language with the most native speakers, but it is in very close running with English. The most recent figures are between 329-400 million native speakers in 21 countries, and one of few languages to be spoken natively in both the western and eastern hemispheres.

The most widely spoken languages

Most widely spoken language by number of native speakers

conversation1Mandarin (1197 million)
Spanish (406 million)
English (335 million)
Hindi-Urdu (260 million)
Arabic (223 million)
Portuguese (202 million)
Bengali (193 million)
Russian (162 million)
Japanese (122 million)
Javanese (84.3 million)
The 10 most widely spoken languages on Earth…surprise!

Chinese (Mandarin): no less than 1,365,000,000 people!
Spanish: between 325 and 500 million speakers – it is known as Castilian. It is a Romance language that evolved from several languages and dialects in the north central region of the Iberian peninsula during the ninth century. It is spoken in 21 countries.
English: Between 309 and 400 million people speak it natively, and between 500 million and 1.8 billion people speak it as a second language.
Arabic: between 206 and 422 million speakers
Hindi: 181 million speakers
Portuguese: 178 million speakers
Bengali: 173 million speakers
Russian: 164 million speakers
Japanese: 128 million speakers
10. German: 96 million speakers
Top 10 most spoken languages

2. Spanish (329 million speakers)

Spanish is a member of the West Iberian branch of the Romance languages, closely related to Portuguese. Spanish is one of the most widely distributed languages in the world; it is the official language of over 20 countries, and is the official language of nearly every state in Latin America, excepting Brazil, Belize, etc. Additionally, large populations of native speakers have immigrated to the United States, and Spanish is now one of the most common languages in the American southwest. It is also one of the six official languages of the United Nations.
And there's even a LITTLE quiz for you:
Can you name the 50 most spoken languages (by native speakers) in the world?

There's a lot more, but I don't want to piss you off.

Still, I reckon all that crock qualifies me as a "moronic tosser troll bitch" then?

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 20th 2015 at 7:57 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:03 pm
I have a comma problem

Did somebody turn over two pages at once ...
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, there you go - exemplifying my point - Wasn't what you wanted to believe? Well that makes it a 'crock' dunnit?

Still, although various research on the topic varies, it seems that there's an overwhelming amount of 'crock' to go around:

The 10 Most Common Languages

The World's Most Widely Spoken Languages
Except all of those quir

The Top 10 Most Natively Spoken Languages

The most widely spoken languages

The 10 most widely spoken languages on Earth…surprise!

Top 10 most spoken languages

And there's even a LITTLE quiz for you:
Can you name the 50 most spoken languages (by native speakers) in the world?

There's a lot more, but I don't want to piss you off.

Still, I reckon all that crock qualifies me as a "moronic tosser troll bitch" then?
Except all of those figures show aggregate English speakers at less than the combined population of the US plus the UK, and sometimes less than the population of the US alone. I accept that there are substantial numbers of Spanish speaking hispanics, and a smLler number of Chinese who have retained a non-English speaking sub-culture, but I cannot believe that those non-Engish speaking minorities account for more than 10% of the population of the US, and perhaps 5% of the UK population. Taking those reductions would give us a number of very nearly 350 million, then add in the populations of Ireland, Canada, Australia, NZ, and a good part of the South African population, plus Jamaica and a number of other Islands in the Caribbean, plus the Bahamas and Bermuda, and the Falklands. Even allowing for the Quebecois and other non-English speaking minorities the number of English speakers in those countries must exceed 50 million, probably by a fair margin.

In short, I am not at all persuded by someone merely publishing a list of languages and numbers of speakers without some explanation of where the numbers come from. Specifically I would like to know what statistics were used to allow for non-Engish speaking minorities in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia, and other countries, and whether any attempt was made to include English speakers in former British colonies notably in Africa?

Someone else (Robin?) also pointed out that at least some of the published figures for Spanish speakers appear to assume 100% of the population speaks Spanish in "Spanish speaking countries".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.