Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That sentence makes me feel a little ill
Not 'sick'? How long have you lived over there?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
Not 'sick'? How long have you lived over there?
I was being poetic. That's the one chance you get to accuse me of 'going native'
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah Brits get ill and take a tablet for it.
Americans get sick and take a pill for it.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Another puzzle for me is take and bring. Americans say they will bring something, when we say we will take it. I found this annoying at first, but I'm going off the topic now as it's not an American word I have adopted, just a weird difference of their use of words.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Surely they use MAINS in America, for mains drainage and mains water, for instance?
Mains as in, "mains electricity" - 'Plug it into the mains'
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Americans will say;
"There's an unpleasant odor in this room. It makes me feel a little nauseous."
A British person would likely state:
"The f#%king stink in this room is bloody awful. It makes me want to puke."
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So what about your kids? Especially those who had school aged kids when you all came over?

Mine, obviously born here, but the little one has a good mix of English and American English in the way she pronounces things and words she uses such as "Ladybird" instead of "Ladybug". The littlest one on the other hand, well she's still just drooling and fighting her first potential tooth war
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So what about your kids? Especially those who had school aged kids when you all came over?

Mine, obviously born here, but the little one has a good mix of English and American English in the way she pronounces things and words she uses such as "Ladybird" instead of "Ladybug". The littlest one on the other hand, well she's still just drooling and fighting her first potential tooth war
My stepson is American, but he picked up a few phrases and pronounciations from me, like saying 'garage' the correct way, and he occasionally adopts the British usage of 'chips' and 'crisps' much, I'm sure, to his ma's annoyance

The baby though, when I'm changing her I do tend to say 'time for a new nappy' and I haven't been yelled at yet . I'd so love for her to have a Belfast accent when she starts talking, just out of badness. I might broaden mine a wee bit when she's at that impressionable age
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I do. I'm British and proud to be so, and I don't want to lose that part of me. It's not so much about being stubborn, I just happen to like the way I speak

As I've always maintained in discussions like this - people always seem to be able to understand what I am saying anyway.
Yup ! Missus said yesterday " I think you are losing you English accent" scared the living what not out of me 'till she told me she was joking.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:05 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Yup ! Missus said yesterday " I think you are losing you English accent" scared the living what not out of me 'till she told me she was joking.

I still have mine, which is nice, but I still get the occasional 'just keep talking' requests from random birds which I'm sorry but I find rather unsettling

Mostly because I can then at that point, never think of anything to say whatsoever . . .
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:33 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I say "Alumi-num-inum" as it usually gets a smile and is a happy medium.
Garaage (there really isn't any compromise here)
Tub (as in - "in the")
Yard (as in - not on a farm)
Trunk
Hood
Pants (as in worn over or under, depending - not depends)
Tennis shoes / trainers (daps is a complete lost cause)
Napkin
Vacation (it just isn't worth the battle anymore for this one )
Merry Christmas (which makes more sense from the viewpoint of alcohol)

.....and a myriad of others.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

None. The only thing I have done is (and only while coaching my teams mind) use the convention of calling football soccer, but as soccer is a British word anyway that hardly counts. And even then, at practices I forget myself and say football and nobody notices and/or cares.

Amazingly enough, even though I still talk essentially the same way I did at home, everyone seems to be able to understand me without any difficulty anyway. I do have to broaden the Belfast in my accent sometimes though, just so I don't lose it
So when your car is in the 'shop', you would call them up and say, "there's a dent in the bonnet, a scratch on the boot and a mark on the wing that I'd like you to fix" ?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So when your car is in the 'shop', you would call them up and say, "there's a dent in the bonnet, a scratch on the boot and a mark on the wing that I'd like you to fix" ?
And most places would still understand you, so it wouldn't be a problem...asking about the estate or the saloon car on the lot might raise an eyebrow though
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

husband today talked about a BEEAAGE sweater ---er a WHAT???
He said it again until i realised he meant beige --

He also said he needed to go to the hygENist

It takes me a while to tune into him!!

I cant bear aclimated by the way!!! Grrrrr
gets on my nerves!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
husband today talked about a BEEAAGE sweater ---er a WHAT???
He said it again until i realised he meant beige --

He also said he needed to go to the hygENist

It takes me a while to tune into him!!

I cant bear aclimated by the way!!! Grrrrr
gets on my nerves!
Beeaage Kakki pants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.