Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Craig...pronounced in the US Creg.

I think I may have got confused and posted in the wrong thread.
That's a weird one and I cringe every time I say it, as we've a uncle called Craig, the other one is Colin, being Coowlin
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
That's a weird one and I cringe every time I say it, as we've a uncle called Craig, the other one is Colin, being Coowlin
As though to rhyme with "colon"? I thought it was supposed to be "kahwlin". At least that's the way this American has always pronounced it. And I've always said "crayg", never "creg".
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:58 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Dink lol forgot about that one

Pissah is another.

I don't use 'em down here.

One of my coworkers and I were discussing the difference in expressions/words here regionally. She's from Texas originally and her ex husband was from Pittsurgh. He used to use the expression- "knock yourself out" and her mother didn't know what that meant.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Orangepants
My boxer is called Oscar and when he first went to overnight camp - they called him "Assggaaaa" which of course he didn't respond too. They thought he was deaf!! Now they try to imitate me which is just hilarious!

As for the Caribbean - I lived there for quite a while and they all pronounce it the American way- as it does have two Bs!
Which island?
In Jamaica, they say Car-ri-bean as opposed to Carib-bean (which I HATE!)
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Which island?
In Jamaica, they say Car-ri-bean as opposed to Carib-bean (which I HATE!)
I worked in Antigua, Jamaica and the Cayman Islands - most time in Cayman, about 12 years - and never came across anyone that said it the way Brits do (not that I ever did a survey or anything!)
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Word, dope, hella, are the primary ones. I call football soccer to people that know little about the sport.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I say "awww shnappp" (aw snap).......I feel good when I say it as well!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I say "awww shnappp" (aw snap).......I feel good when I say it as well!
What the heck does it mean though??
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What the heck does it mean though??

I have no idea, but I like saying it

(actually I think it's a term of surprise? maybe????)
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have no idea, but I like saying it

(actually I think it's a term of surprise? maybe????)
Maybe it's a "good girl/boy" way of saying "aw Sh*t" - kinda like "gol-dang it" instead of God-D**n it", etc.? As I try to maintain ladylike-hood, my favorite saying in times of stress is "sonoma beach"!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

None. The only thing I have done is (and only while coaching my teams mind) use the convention of calling football soccer, but as soccer is a British word anyway that hardly counts. And even then, at practices I forget myself and say football and nobody notices and/or cares.

Amazingly enough, even though I still talk essentially the same way I did at home, everyone seems to be able to understand me without any difficulty anyway. I do have to broaden the Belfast in my accent sometimes though, just so I don't lose it
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

The long aa is a southern England thing. Anyone from the north doesn't pronounce the long a. So I say barth, my sister who's lived in Nottingham for nearly as long as I've lived in London, says bath.

I've picked up quite a few American words even though DH lives in London with me. Like I'll often call his trainers sneakers. Generally though, instead of changing British words into American ones, I like adding new ones that we Brits don't have. Like 'I'm Jonesing for a drink..' and 'Put your John Hancock on this.'

DH has picked up lots of British words and phrases. Funnily enough he doesn't sound odd to me saying them, I guess he's become 'multilingual' lol. Still prounounces things the 'Merican way though.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Maybe it's a "good girl/boy" way of saying "aw Sh*t" - kinda like "gol-dang it" instead of God-D**n it", etc.? As I try to maintain ladylike-hood, my favorite saying in times of stress is "sonoma beach"!
Dagnabit, that is a swell expression!
Talking of old fashioned expressions, my late MIL had a passel-ful of old-time words & expressions that I use now.. "discombobulated" is one. "That and a nickel will get you on the subway." (And variations thereof.)

I was going to include "Tell it to the Marines" but a little research indicated that is a British expression originally..
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Dagnabit, that is a swell expression!
Talking of old fashioned expressions, my late MIL had a passel-ful of old-time words & expressions that I use now.. "discombobulated" is one. "That and a nickel will get you on the subway." (And variations thereof.)

I was going to include "Tell it to the Marines" but a little research indicated that is a British expression originally..
My mum (British) has some hilarious ones apparantly from her mother. Like 'I wouldn't have him if his arse hung in diamonds and each one played God Save The Queen.'
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Squirrel
My mum (British) has some hilarious ones apparantly from her mother. Like 'I wouldn't have him if his arse hung in diamonds and each one played God Save The Queen.'
That is a good one but how often do you get to use it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.