Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by Anian
It's only in the last few decades that Italians have been considered white!
If you believe the TV machine they're all bright orange.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you believe the TV machine they're all bright orange.
What a diabolical show...my daughter laps it up...and the cake boss.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What a diabolical show...my daughter laps it up...and the cake boss.
I can honestly say it is the worst thing EVER and I have never watched it.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gannett has a spectacular aura aboutGannett has a spectacular aura aboutGannett has a spectacular aura about

Been here three and a half years now, and find I'm picking up Americanisms just to be understood and be polite.

The ones I like to use are 'cell' rather than 'mobile', 'to kick back'. And 'Beer me!' makes me chuckle.

It does work both ways: my American wife will say 'wardrobe' rather than 'closet', or 'mince' rather than 'ground beef' without thinking, so the accent is rubbing off a bit!

I try to keep my accent, and find I can't say 'garage' with an American pronunciation without doing it with a sort of grimace.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gannett
Been here three and a half years now, and find I'm picking up Americanisms just to be understood and be polite.

The ones I like to use are 'cell' rather than 'mobile', 'to kick back'. And 'Beer me!' makes me chuckle.

It does work both ways: my American wife will say 'wardrobe' rather than 'closet', or 'mince' rather than 'ground beef' without thinking, so the accent is rubbing off a bit!

I try to keep my accent, and find I can't say 'garage' with an American pronunciation without doing it with a sort of grimace.
Yes, it is odd but my wife (American, lived in UK for about 15 years) uses a lot of specifically British terms that even I don't use. She always says "ansafone" for instance, instead of "answering machine" .. I realise the whole concept is now becoming archaic, since it has been replaced with voicemail. I'm waiting for her to start saying "Hoover" instead of vacuum cleaner. Me, I never say either because I hate the whole bloody concept of obsessively cleaning the house.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Could that be where the slang 'hock' for spitting came from?

Then I deduce, that you have never been to Amsterdam, as it is on display in the Van Gough Museum, and just about everyone that goes to Ansterdam does that museum. Probably his most famous painting of the 'earlier' years.
No, I haven't. Hubby keeps threatening to take me as he says it's beautiful - I'd love to see it. And the Van Gough Museum!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by N1cky
It took me ages to stop saying loo. Then when I went back to England in the summer, I asked a barman 'where's the bathroom, I mean restroom, er toilet' Of course being English he would have understood any of those words
LOVE the comment about he being English... very clever
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
LOVE the comment about he being English... very clever
An American asked me for the restroom once and I said,"Well, it depends what you're looking for, there are a few along the street."
(I thought he said 'restaurant' )
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:44 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

An American asked me for the restroom once and I said,"Well, it depends what you're looking for, there are a few along the street."
The ones in my town seemed to always be decorated with old greasy chip wrapping paper, phone #'s of girls who would, fag ends and the really classy ones had broken windows and used johnnies (probably thanks to the girl who did).

I think we called them "phone boxes" or "booths", or something like that.

Aaaaah
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago, somewhere near Leiceter Square/Coventry St, an American asked me for directions to a/the Subway, I just pointed behind him at a subway that facilitated crossing the street, and wondered why he had not seen it, then wondered why he looked at me quizicaly as I walked away. It only took a moment for me to realize that he wanted the underground, but then it was too late.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Many years ago, somewhere near Leiceter Square/Coventry St, an American asked me for directions to a/the Subway, I just pointed behind him at a subway that facilitated crossing the street, and wondered why he had not seen it, then wondered why he looked at me quizicaly as I walked away. It only took a moment for me to realize that he wanted the underground, but then it was too late.
Some of those subways have restrooms in them at least
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were going to say he was looking for a sandwich .
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
come to think of it, maybe that's what it was.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
So did I...but I am a carb junkie.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:07 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

I tell no word of a lie, the same happened to me up in London. (I knew nothing of Canada or America back then ... save for Bonanza on the telly). I was asked by two American youths —circa my age at the time— with rucksacks, probably ‘Doing Europe for the summer’. So I pointed out the subway to them. They walked to the other side, came out, then walked back to where I was still waiting for a bus ... and then proceeded to become VERY shirty about it. I didn't know what they were on about, until one actually said ‘They call it the metro here’ —as if ... — and he then made a stab at French —don't ask me why— by attempting to say: Où est le métro? At this point I was somewhat ticked myself, so I said ‘Paris’.

Last edited by Christian; Aug 30th 2011 at 10:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.