Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by cindyabs
That's because they have potatos in their throats. Well that's what the southern Dutch say about those from "north of the rivers",

"The Potato Eaters" by Vinnie van Gough, (for those that do not know his work)
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I can't even figure out how you munter Gnocchi

But the bruschetta, I've been guilty of the soft sch middle.

Oh, one one I've adopted, only when in Mass...and only if I get asked about drinks before anyone else...."wadder"....or we have a 10 minute conversion about water, in which case I say I'll have nothing, wait for someone else to get a water and then mention that I'm changing my mind and ask for one of those...

Never had that problem living up in Maine and it's not a problem everywhere in MA, but it has been a problem more than not, especially getting closer to down town.
I swear I don't get that one, I say and ALWAYS have (with a father from MA and a mother from NH, remember) waw ter.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
http://communitas.princeton.edu/blog...o%20Eaters.jpg

I love that.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:12 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Fair enough. Where are you getting this imagery from?
All the USA TV that is on Sky over here.
Nanny 911
Cake Boss
Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares - Hell's Kitchen etc.

They all say "hey we're Italian, we're loud, that's what we do."

Still better than watching the crap on Italian TV and it's ok as English background noise.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
All the USA TV that is on Sky over here.
Nanny 911
Cake Boss
Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares - Hell's Kitchen etc.

They all say "hey we're Italian, we're loud, that's what we do."

Still better than watching the crap on Italian TV and it's ok as English background noise.
I don't watch any of that ... are they cooking shows? Why are they full of Italian Americans?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:17 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't watch any of that ... are they cooking shows? Why are they full of Italian Americans?
The Gordon Ramsey programmes are "reality" cooking shows. Not all full of Italians but there have been more than one Italo-American on all of them. Mostly loud and obnoxious ones.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:21 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
The Gordon Ramsey programmes are "reality" cooking shows. Not all full of Italians but there have been more than one Italo-American on all of them. Mostly loud and obnoxious ones.
There is a certain subculture that acts that way but I think they're generally an embarrassment. Another branch in the white-trash family tree.

Last edited by Leslie; Aug 23rd 2011 at 3:55 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:24 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Tha would be how the northeners are seen by the southeners.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

At least the Brits make a close approximation to the dutch 'hok' (in a scouse accent) , with 'gok'. Even the people who say 'gof' are within a million miles. But 'go', well that isn't even trying; even educated and worldly types in the states insist in saying 'go'

Jersey Shore was first, had not heard of TOWIE until you mentioned it and I googled it.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we learned it as "go" simply to avoid hawking up a big one if we tried it the Dutch way.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

NEVER in my life have I seen this one! Talk about a lousy education in classic art? Think my teachers would have been put off because the characters herein aren't aesthetic enough. Very interesting to see what he saw before he was looking through eyes that saw the sunflowers & stars he painted.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:18 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we learned it as "go" simply to avoid hawking up a big one if we tried it the Dutch way.
Could that be where the slang 'hock' for spitting came from?

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
NEVER in my life have I seen this one! Talk about a lousy education in classic art? Think my teachers would have been put off because the characters herein aren't aesthetic enough. Very interesting to see what he saw before he was looking through eyes that saw the sunflowers & stars he painted.
Then I deduce, that you have never been to Amsterdam, as it is on display in the Van Gough Museum, and just about everyone that goes to Ansterdam does that museum. Probably his most famous painting of the 'earlier' years.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Could that be where the slang 'hock' for spitting came from?

Then I deduce, that you have never been to Amsterdam, as it is on display in the Van Gough Museum, and just about everyone that goes to Ansterdam does that museum. Probably his most famous painting of the 'earlier' years.
I'm looking forward to going back.. we had a wonderful week in Amsterdam in 2007.. I think it was? But all the major museums including the Van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum were closed for renovation at the time. What a wonderful city that is.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:51 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm looking forward to going back.. we had a wonderful week in Amsterdam in 2007.. I think it was? But all the major museums including the Van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum were closed for renovation at the time. What a wonderful city that is.
It is so frustrating to have a visit with closures like that. If you are going back and like your art, take a trip to the Kroller Muller museum, near Arnhem. I find many people are unaware of this museum, but it is excellent, one of the premier European art displays.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 23rd 2011 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I swear I don't get that one, I say and ALWAYS have (with a father from MA and a mother from NH, remember) waw ter.
Now that we're even further in the burbs, it has been less of an issue...most folks seem to be imports from various parts of the country etc.

When we lived in the bean burbs, it was more of a issue and really bad when in beantown...but then they don't know how to talk normally in Boston anyway
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Another branch in the white-trash family tree.
It's only in the last few decades that Italians have been considered white!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.