Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Old Jun 1st 2022, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

If your partner drives ask him to consider taking his C + CAP training before you move. So much national and international driving work with companies willing to take people on with no experience. The training takes 6 weeks and costs around 1500 euros. He could walk into a job in the Valencian region starting at 18/20k per year and once he has got some experience in the 7.5 tonne trucks he could take his C+E training and go on to earn more money. I also see jobs for English teachers advertised constantly. Would you not just want to work as a teacher in a already established British or international school ?

As for Alicante itself its very cheap in the south of Alicante, two adults working can sustain a decent family life easily. Work is plentiful if you go and chase it. If anything you both need to get in somewhere that will offer an indefinido contract after a trial, working in bars and hotels etc just dont offer those types of contracts. A school teacher should do though I would have thought.

As for the kids I dont know really, probably not the most prosperous of places no but a few days ago I seen a cuban friend who I had not seen for around 5 years his son grew up in and around benidorm, went to university and now has a top IT job in Madrid.

My advice for any kid would be to branch out and look to moving away from where they grew up these days. If I could go back to 18/20 year old me and I had grew up in Alicante I would be looking to get to the bright lights of Madrid and Barcelona or even better further a field in Europe where the money is better. Just my opinion though
Old Jun 1st 2022, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
If your partner drives ask him to consider taking his C + CAP training before you move. So much national and international driving work with companies willing to take people on with no experience. The training takes 6 weeks and costs around 1500 euros. He could walk into a job in the Valencian region starting at 18/20k per year and once he has got some experience in the 7.5 tonne trucks he could take his C+E training and go on to earn more money. I also see jobs for English teachers advertised constantly. Would you not just want to work as a teacher in a already established British or international school ?

As for Alicante itself its very cheap in the south of Alicante, two adults working can sustain a decent family life easily. Work is plentiful if you go and chase it. If anything you both need to get in somewhere that will offer an indefinido contract after a trial, working in bars and hotels etc just dont offer those types of contracts. A school teacher should do though I would have thought.

As for the kids I dont know really, probably not the most prosperous of places no but a few days ago I seen a cuban friend who I had not seen for around 5 years his son grew up in and around benidorm, went to university and now has a top IT job in Madrid.

My advice for any kid would be to branch out and look to moving away from where they grew up these days. If I could go back to 18/20 year old me and I had grew up in Alicante I would be looking to get to the bright lights of Madrid and Barcelona or even better further a field in Europe where the money is better. Just my opinion though
You need to be PGCE to work in a " school" and I'm not sure if the OP has that as they are teaching English. Indefinido contracts are now standard following the recents law changes.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

All good and well, but without kids it's very different and the world is changing fast. You can argue about the personal figures, but you still need an additional €240K in Spain to raise a child on average.
IT is a big field and just depends how you can adapt and develop, but with kids today I'd make sure they have access to land that is future proof.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

My advice for any kid would be to branch out and look tomoving away from where they grew up these days. If I could go back to 18/20 year old me and I had grew up in Alicante I would be looking to get to the bright lights of Madrid and Barcelona or even better further a field in Europe where the money is better. Just my opinion though
The Parque Tecnologica de Malaga now has over 22,000 people working there and today it has been announced that over the next 12 months Ernst & Young are going to be recruiting another 500 staff to be based there, including lawyers and economistas (they say their ideal candidates will be aged between 24 and 32).

Tecnología: Málaga Tech Park registra su mejro cifra de empleo y facturación al cierre de 2021 (laopiniondemalaga.es)

La multinacional EY contratará a otras 500 personas en Málaga en un año y llegará a las 1.000 (malagahoy.es)

Last edited by Lynn R; Jun 1st 2022 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes so all I am suggesting is that just because someone has children that should not be a reason not to move to the Costas. They have a great childhood growing up with the other kids in the seaside towns but that does mean that they have to stay there when they grow up. They can go off and be anything they want to be. The rest of Spain and Europe is their oyster.

South Alicante is so cheap to live even Murcia. Murcia is a massive transport hub, so much transport work in Spain now, anybody wanting a career change and do not mind getting on the road it is there to take. C+E drivers can make 28/30k per year C drivers can make 18/20k per year maybe even a hit more if it’s a decent company doing national driving within Spain. Me personally I love driving around Spain, it is pleasant to do so other than the motorways in the UK. I hope to go on and do my C+E training and get work driving to Germany and Holland etc. Tonnes of work. It is only a suggestion for the OP and her partner. Swissport at Alicante airport are always hiring too they need staff and so do Ryanair need RAMP staff and luggage handlers etc etc

I am not sure about her teaching and how that would work for her but there is 4,000 unfilled job positions in hospitality on the Costa Blanca alone right now. People are screaming for staff. Bar work averages 1200 euros per month net plus tips. If you cannot live on 2400 euros per month in south Alicante, torrevieja and around that area then I do not know what to say.

I had a 3 bedroom detached house with drive way, communal pool for 600 euros per month near Torrevieja, what more can you want lol

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Jun 1st 2022 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
All good and well, but without kids it's very different and the world is changing fast. You can argue about the personal figures, but you still need an additional €240K in Spain to raise a child on average.
IT is a big field and just depends how you can adapt and develop, but with kids today I'd make sure they have access to land that is future proof.
240k ? Over 18 years that is over 13k euros a year. Who spends over a grand a month on a child ?
Old Jun 1st 2022, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The Parque Tecnologica de Malaga now has over 22,000 people working there and today it has been announced that over the next 12 months Ernst & Young are going to be recruiting another 500 staff to be based there, including lawyers and economistas (they say their ideal candidates will be aged between 24 and 32).

Tecnología: Málaga Tech Park registra su mejro cifra de empleo y facturación al cierre de 2021 (laopiniondemalaga.es)

La multinacional EY contratará a otras 500 personas en Málaga en un año y llegará a las 1.000 (malagahoy.es)

Old Jun 1st 2022, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

South Alicante is so cheap to live even Murcia. Murcia is a massive transport hub, so much transport work in Spain now, anybody wanting a career change and do not mind getting on the road it is there to take. C+E drivers can make 28/30k per year C drivers can make 18/20k per year maybe even a hit more if it’s a decent company doing national driving within Spain. Me person

I am not sure about her teaching and how that would work for her but there is 4,000 unfilled job positions in hospitality on the Costa Blanca alone right now. People are screaming for staff. Bar work averages 1200 euros per month net plus tips. If you cannot live on 2400 euros per month in south Alicante, torrevieja and around that area then I do not know what to say.

I had a 3 bedroom detached house with drive way, communal pool for 600 euros per month near Torrevieja, what more can you want lol
Of course it depends on the individual, but in this day and age even €30K is not a lot for a person in their 40's who has to feed a family. I know rents have gone up a lot, but even €600 doesn't seem that cheap to me.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I am justifying my calculations based on my knowledge of South Alicante. If two adults had a basic job they can expect to bring in around 2400 euros per month between them. Being at work most of the week and the kids being in school living a normal life leaving 1800 euros after paying rent. Lets say 400 euros a month on bills. 400 per month on food shopping leaves a grand. Petrol, phones, wifi. Few bits and bobs for the kids a couple of days out on weekends. It is no luxury lifestyle but it is doable and plenty of people are happy living that exact lifestyle.

If one adult had a basic job and the other was earning 30k a year living in south Alicante you would be flying in my opinion, you would find it hard to spend your money in that scenario.

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Jun 1st 2022 at 6:51 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I am justifying my calculations based on my knowledge of South Alicante. If two adults had a basic job they can expect to bring in around 2400 euros per month between them. Being at work most of the week and the kids being in school living a normal life leaving 1800 euros after paying rent. Lets say 400 euros a month on bills. 400 per month on food shopping leaves a grand. Petrol, phones, wifi. Few bits and bobs for the kids a couple of days out on weekends. It is no luxury lifestyle but it is doable and plenty of people are happy living that exact lifestyle.

If one adult had a basic job and the other was earning 30k a year living in south Alicante you would be flying in my opinion, you would find it hard to spend your money in that scenario.
Sure, in an ideal situation it is OK and plenty of people have to manage on less. Unfortunately it doesn't always go that smooth and there are often other costs. Suddenly you lose the job and have to travel further. The car breaks down and you eventually have to buy a new one, maybe even a 2nd one, new appliances, dental and kids are only covered until 15. Then they might want to study and so on. Not relevant for the OP anyway and they already live in Spain and don't rent. For them it's probably more about finding properties within their budget and then maybe the husband applies for jobs in that area to see if work is actually available.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes true, agreed. Everybodys situation will fall slightly different. They are in a strong position if they are buying and not renting, if they get indefinido contracts that gives you job stability. Hospitality cannot be trusted in my eyes because what about when it goes quiet in the winter months. Which is why I have suggested that her partner seriously consider looking into going into the transport industry. There really is a lot of work driving lorries in Spain and it is quite easy to get into. I seen a piece on one of the Spanish news channels not so long back interviewing girls training to drive lorries just like they are doing back in the UK and that is what egged me on to do it.

I just think that going back to the original post that she made some time ago about either going back to the UK or to the Costas. I believe if they approach it the right way and broaden their horizons a little they can make it work well with two kids in Alicante.

I think she can make a decent living teaching none English children English. As she said I think it is better to just speak to them in English and not mother them with Spanish anyway.

Like you said though it does just depend on what type of people they are, everybody is different. I am just one of them people that goes out and approaches people and put myself out and chase work relentlessly.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

interesting that last point. You'll get a lot more opportunities to teach English in Madrid (and other job opportunities too), particularly as Brexit has forced many Brits out. Of course rent and other things are more expensive, but so too are wages. And you will have great transport links via high speed train when you want to visit the coast (or other Spanish cities). Far more opportunities for the kids too, I would have thought. If you absolutely have to be close to the Med, then Barcelona is another option, but then you'd need to learn Catalan as well.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Are you a qualified teacher? I ask this because it is sounding more and more as though you are teaching English in your small village purely based on the fact that you are the only English person there.

Rosemary
True. I only have the experience...8 years in a private school and self employed in my own academy with some online teaching courses. This may only work in small villages right and perhaps in the cities I will struggle with competition.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think it really depends what type of person you are and even though you might miss certain things about city life, it can also be a real shock when you are now used to rural living. I think you said you have been in your village 8 years now, but what makes you believe that Alicante will be better? A lot has changed in the past 8 years and I wouldn't say that people are more social than before. Especially in cities that are also touristic, you have even more challenges with people who don't care. Unless you have enough cash to secure a property that's detached and has a decent sized plot, you might regret what you left behind. Be it the large apartment blocks with loud music, traffic & pollution (air quality etc.). The next recession is also on the horizon and starting a business from scratch right now might be very challenging. At least now you seem to have a good amount of clients and no competition. Personally I couldn't live further than 20 mins drive from the coast and I can understand that you want to be near the coast, but you really need to look at your requirements.
Very good advice thanks !! I think we are looking to move away from village mentality...we are very outgoing and social people with small kids and for us the mentality here is just mind blowing. I admit my job here is a bonus, but during between June - sept there is no demand for classes so I am left pockletless so is it worth staying for !
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britishlondon30s
Very good advice thanks !! I think we are looking to move away from village mentality...we are very outgoing and social people with small kids and for us the mentality here is just mind blowing. I admit my job here is a bonus, but during between June - sept there is no demand for classes so I am left pockletless so is it worth staying for !
I have seen that you have started a new thread, this might give you an idea what jobs are on offer https://es.indeed.com/?from=gnav-job...c4bec6fc4933d1
https://es.indeed.com/jobs?q&l=Alica...afea5ea26a8333
steviedeluxe mentioned Madrid/Barcelona and I'd agree that Catalan is another issue. We have a property around 1 hour from Barcelona (it's one of the cheaper areas) and anything on the coast is very expensive and the closer you get to the city, the more expensive it gets. The only cheap place I can think of closer to Barcelona is Tordera, if you want a detached house and don't have a big budget. Personally I wouldn't want to do that commute on a daily basis and I predict that prices will drop soon anyway. Of course like much of the coast there is seasonal work in the resorts, but no idea about pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.