Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Old Jun 2nd 2022, 8:57 am
  #46  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Alicante
Posts: 327
Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
One of my students is a manager of a Consum store and I can categorically tell you that while these jobs are advertised there are dozens of people applying for them so competition is fierce. It is not like in UK. Supermarket work is very sought after ( there are even courses for them !!) but until recently you only got temporal then paro. My neighbour is now on paro and she used to work in Leroy Merlin, she is a single mum with 2 kids and she was telling me that it is really difficult to find that kind of work as everyone wants it. I dont know where you get the idea that Spanish are lazy and just want to be influencers!! ! They are extremely hard working and many young people are over the moon to be working 40 plus hours a week
I should add that people who get jobs often have to rely on enchufe ... that is very much the reality of spain and jobs!!
Me and you must live on two different planets in a parallel universe or something you know
Albir_Tom is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 9:06 am
  #47  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Alicante
Posts: 327
Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Thread probably going to end up getting closed again because people talk absolute tripe on here and starting coming up with stats they have read in elpais or something rather than actually being out on the road in the real world.

The matter of fact is. In south Alicante a couple both on a basic wage of say 1200 per month each can keep a roof over there heads, keep one or two children and get by.

If people want big villas with pools then that is their problem, you can get an unfurnished 3 bed apartment for 350 euros per month.

i see people doing it with my own eyes, I am seeing people get work constantly with my own eyes. Hardly going to listen to user - expat1956 on here am i
Albir_Tom is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 4:35 pm
  #48  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 640
Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Thread probably going to end up getting closed again because people talk absolute tripe on here and starting coming up with stats they have read in elpais or something rather than actually being out on the road in the real world.

The matter of fact is. In south Alicante a couple both on a basic wage of say 1200 per month each can keep a roof over there heads, keep one or two children and get by.

If people want big villas with pools then that is their problem, you can get an unfurnished 3 bed apartment for 350 euros per month.

i see people doing it with my own eyes, I am seeing people get work constantly with my own eyes. Hardly going to listen to user - expat1956 on here am i

Wow weird reasoning! Basically you are saying that objective findings are nonsense and that subjective experiences are general truths! So your statement about Spanish youngsters wanting to be influencers and work shy isnt a fact read in El pais but one you have created based on your view of the world and therefore true!!!!!

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 2nd 2022 at 5:37 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Ronnyone is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:03 pm
  #49  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Alicante
Posts: 327
Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Well it isnt a strange argument is it. Every time somebody comes on this forum asking about a plan they have regarding work and moving to somewhere like Alicante or any other part of Spain they get hit with a wall of pessimism.

Everybody gives their two pence about how they know Spanish people who cant get jobs and put links on from newspapers with stats that are completely unconfirmed, people go on like Spain is on the brink of collapse when it really isnt.

The Influencer and YouTuber, tik tok comment is true in most countries now it is common knowledge unfortunately. Not a stat in a newspaper. Even worse so now after covid people just do not want to physically work.

The world is changing, im no conspiracy theorist but some might argue that the great reset is actually happening and that eventually nobody will work.

You will stay at home on a living wage, have nothing and be happy so they say.

But for now if somebody wants to go out and work all day and put the elbow grease in they will and will
hold a job down. If they dont want to they wont.
Albir_Tom is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:08 pm
  #50  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Alicante
Posts: 327
Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

You sound like you’re institutionalised in Torrevieja to be honest because it can be a bit grim in that particular town but dont beat the rest of Spain up.

But then again when I was living around there everyone was working. All the bums smoking weed all day wasnt
Albir_Tom is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:25 pm
  #51  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 640
Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

You say:

People put links on stats from newspapers that are unconfirmed

The comment on influencers is true not a statistic from a newspaper

When I was living there EVERYONE was working. The bums smoking weed weren't.

Everything you say is illogical you do know that?




Last edited by Ronnyone; Jun 2nd 2022 at 5:27 pm.
Ronnyone is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:43 pm
  #52  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,827
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Thread probably going to end up getting closed again i
If I have to close this thread I will ensure that members who have spoilt it will be taking a BE holiday.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 6:03 pm
  #53  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 640
Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Ok back on topic.
Re: jobs Alicante( hospitality)

If you watch the news on La 1 today you will see a report on the job market. The first part is to do with the fact that for the first time in 13 years that unemployment is below 3 million. However, critics are pointing out that whilst there are lots of indefinido contracts, 36% are discontinuados- meaning they are essentially only partial contracts where people go on paro for 2 or 3 months then pick up their Indefinidos later on. This means that there is still a huge percentage of folk basically struggling to get full time work in Spain
The second part of the report looks at work in hospitality and points out a labour shortage but qualifies this by saying this reflects the fact that the industry needs to get back to 2019 figures so it doesn't represent actual real growth. However they also highlight that labour conditions are very poor and wages low. It ends by saying average full time ( 40 hour) waiters get 1.000 euros a month.

This probably represents a true reflection of work in Spain and therefore will be of interest to the OP that was looking for this kind of information
Ronnyone is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:03 pm
  #54  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 5,254
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

No axe to grind here, I worked in Spain for one year way back and I know very little about the state of the labour market today. But I think you have to accept that people are different and therefore they have different experiences. Where Brits in Spain are concerned I guess their perception depends on who they are and what they came looking for. Quite honestly how many British families moved to Spain hoping to get a low paid job, work all day and put the elbow grease in to keep a roof over their heads? If they did and they can speak enough Spanish to do that then fine. But often when people say "there are no jobs", what they mean is "there are no jobs that I could do or would want to do or that I would be given." You can say that is the wrong attitude on their part but it's how people are, not everybody can do everything. When a country has anything less than full employment (which I think is the case in Spain) that means there are going to be people without jobs, and generally, those will be the ones who are not cut out for the work that's on offer. In their hearts they don't want it, and employers can see that they would be no good at it so they don't choose them.
EuroTrash is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:22 pm
  #55  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,148
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Are you joking ?

Becoming a manager at McDonalds is much more realistic than becoming a successful YouTuber or influencer. As I said it I down to the individual wanting to put an actual bit of elbow grease in starting from the bottom which is few and far between these days. It is not hard to get a job in Mcdonalds if someone decides they want to work there way to the top and put the hard work in they can do it.

Lawyer ? Stewardess ? What has working in Mcdonalds in Spain got absolutely anything to do with either of those ? Irrelevant garbage again.

The pessimism on this forum is outrageous
Now you are making it up as you go along. Yes it's down to the individual, tell me how many individuals actually apply to become a manager at McDonald's and are rejected?
Again you don't understand and just like people who wanted to become a Stewardess in the 60's, you will find that people today have other dream jobs such as YouTuber (Who is now pessimistic?).
and what has talking about the facts got to do with pessimism? Just like you tell everyone here how easy it is, young people are probably told that becoming a successful YouTuber is easy.
Do you actually think one minute about the people in Spain who might be single parents and not everybody has the flexibility you have and can move from town to town with a plastic bag. I was very positive and even said fair play to Albir_Tom and some people just have that talent and can do everything. You might find a professional footballer who will say anybody can become a professional and you will also find players who will say they are very lucky to be in that position.

So are you telling me that not one bit of this is true? https://www.euractiv.com/section/pol...ial-exclusion/

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 2nd 2022 at 7:33 pm.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2022, 5:37 am
  #56  
Not Banned (yet)
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,400
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Ive sort of noticed the same thing as what happened when all the polish workers went to the UK a lot of ignorance and bone idols, people thinking they are too good to do a job. Another massive problem now is that a big portion of Spanish people in their 20s have an unhealthy obsession with becoming a social media influencer or YouTuber
I think there are two issues here. The one you mention about young people (and it's worldwide not just in Spain) who want to make it big via social media or youtube stuff. The problem (if indeed it is a problem) is that if you hit it right you can earn multiple 100s a day. I've met one or two youngsters in London who are big on social media in Asian countries, and they have money to burn. Of course we don't know the ratio between the successes and those who never earn a dime but spend all their time online.
The other issue is that distance is a bigger factor in Spain. You can be a English teacher in a rural town or village, and struggle to charge 7 euros per class. Base yourself in Madrid and private/business classes can be had for 30 euros a hour (but you have to be registered autonomo). There again, the smart teachers have diverted into teaching online to Asian students (or so I've heard), but you need good internet normally only found in urban areas... And if your town or city does not have great employment opportunities, then it's almost impossible to commute to another one as the distance/time factor comes into play.
steviedeluxe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.