Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Old May 23rd 2022, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Hello!!

Some may remember me from my last thread about moving back to the UK. After careful consideration and reading a lot of your advice, we've established a decision to meet in the middle. To stay in Spain and move to the coast. We are currently living in a small remote village with me teaching English..but missing city life and well..life on general.

But what is life really like for a young(ish) family with small kids in the coast like AlicantAlicante. Husband is Spanish and has hospitality qualifications as well as factory work so either will do.

What are job prospects like?
Public Schools? Kids are bilingual but happy with Spanish schools.
Room for more English academies. Is the demand there?

Anything will be an upgrade from the village I'm from.

Any advice or feedback..please let me know
Thanks !!
Old May 23rd 2022, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Well first of all jobs. In Alicante region most work is in tourist sector and construction. Your husband will have the chance of work but depending on his area of hospitality it might be competitive. Hotels are in Alicante city but in the coastal towns most people rent villas and apartments. Again it depends where you intend to live. If you want a city then Alicante is the one. It's quite nice and very Spanish. There are lots of small coastal towns heading south with Torrevieja being popular. Most of these places are popular with foreigners so expect some places to speak English. Plenty of private bilingual schools but not sure they will continue given the British curriculum now that it is harder for EU students ( and soon uk nationals) to get affordable assess to uk universities.
I wouldn't recommend a language academy. Alicante city has lots and they are quite well funded places so hard to compete against. The other towns have them too but it is quite a few years you have to be running them before you can start to make anything.
Old May 23rd 2022, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add that public (state) schools in Alicante Province, being in Valencian Community, are bilingual in Spanish and Valencian (a form of Catalan).
Old May 23rd 2022, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Just to add that public (state) schools in Alicante Province, being in Valencian Community, are bilingual in Spanish and Valencian (a form of Catalan).
Pupils can get exemptions from Valenciano if Spanish is not their first language.
Old May 23rd 2022, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone will have a different opinion and you and your husband are probably more qualified to know if this is where you want to settle. I suppose much of coastal Spain is similar really and the challenges remain the same (job, salary, housing, education for kids). At the end of the day your job/income will determine what you can expect. Climate is probably another factor and while pensioners won't care, with kids it's probably more about where they can still live in 20 years time etc. It's great they are bilingual, so that won't be a problem. As mentioned by Joppa, local language can be another challenge. Where we are it's Catalan and for others it might be Basque, but they are still young enough to learn and already have the advantage with English.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 23rd 2022 at 2:56 am.
Old May 23rd 2022, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Pupils can get exemptions from Valenciano if Spanish is not their first language.
Yes, but if most of their friends are bilingual in Castellano and Valenciano, they may want the same.
Old May 23rd 2022, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishlondon30s
Hello!!

Some may remember me from my last thread about moving back to the UK. After careful consideration and reading a lot of your advice, we've established a decision to meet in the middle. To stay in Spain and move to the coast. We are currently living in a small remote village with me teaching English..but missing city life and well..life on general.

But what is life really like for a young(ish) family with small kids in the coast like AlicantAlicante. Husband is Spanish and has hospitality qualifications as well as factory work so either will do.

What are job prospects like?
Public Schools? Kids are bilingual but happy with Spanish schools.
Room for more English academies. Is the demand there?

Anything will be an upgrade from the village I'm from.

Any advice or feedback..please let me know
Thanks !!
​​​​​​Thanks !! The one thing that has put me off now is the fact there are lots of English academies! This will be my primary job... Where I live, I'm the only native in the area so I don't feel the competition as much ! My concern would be what job i would do there... Thank for your advice !!
Old May 23rd 2022, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

​​​​​​Thanks !! The one thing that has put me off now is the fact there are lots of English academies! This will be my primary job... Where I live, I'm the only native in the area so I don't feel the competition as much ! My concern would be what job i would do there... Thank for your advice !!
To run an academy in these places you need to be a fluent Spanish speaker if you want to stand any chance. The majority of clients will be young children and parents will need you to be able to chat easily with you plus you will need to write reports etc all in Spanish and these can not have errors ( it would appear unprofessional). I know people who use apartments for small groups of adults but these is not really an academy. I live in Torrevieja there are probably 6 or 7 schools here. At least 3 have been operating for over 20 years. They are all Spanish run employing local teachers. They offer everything from young infantil to C1 exam groups. They are quite big investments as they have half a dozen classrooms and alot of resources.
If you are experieexpd then work is available with pay around 12 euros an hour for probably 15- 20 hours. You would need to be contacting them before end of July to try and secure September work.
Old May 24th 2022, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Remember also that in a lot of these places the locals are not very well paid for their jobs so disposable income is not very much

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/05/2...come-in-spain/
Old May 31st 2022, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

To run an academy in these places you need to be a fluent Spanish speaker if you want to stand any chance. The majority of clients will be young children and parents will need you to be able to chat easily with you plus you will need to write reports etc all in Spanish and these can not have errors ( it would appear unprofessional). I know people who use apartments for small groups of adults but these is not really an academy. I live in Torrevieja there are probably 6 or 7 schools here. At least 3 have been operating for over 20 years. They are all Spanish run employing local teachers. They offer everything from young infantil to C1 exam groups. They are quite big investments as they have half a dozen classrooms and alot of resources.
If you are experieexpd then work is available with pay around 12 euros an hour for probably 15- 20 hours. You would need to be contacting them before end of July to try and secure September work.

Wow ! What an eye opener...where I am in a small remote village, parents love that I don't speak any Spanish and just English. No reports or anything like that are expected of me and I barely communicate to the the parents. They are fed up of Spanish speakers and just want 100% English. Sound like a lot of competition and it's really making me thing twice now!!
Old May 31st 2022, 8:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ! What an eye opener...where I am in a small remote village, parents love that I don't speak any Spanish and just English. No reports or anything like that are expected of me and I barely communicate to the the parents. They are fed up of Spanish speakers and just want 100% English. Sound like a lot of competition and it's really making me thing twice now!!
Do you link your pupils to the relevant examination boards that are recognised in Spain or internationally?

Rosemary
Old May 31st 2022, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here. I think you are talking about using English 100% when teaching whereas I was talking about how you cant use English as the day to day administration language. You couldn't run a language school with low level Spanish. In all the schools I have worked in semester reports are expected by parents as this is the same as in the schools. These are done in Spanish and should correspond to the system know as " notas" .
Competitively, as Rosemary points out, you would need to be offering the Cambridge exam suites as most parents expect official certificates.
Old May 31st 2022, 7:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a qualified teacher? I ask this because it is sounding more and more as though you are teaching English in your small village purely based on the fact that you are the only English person there.

Rosemary
Old May 31st 2022, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Well first of all jobs. In Alicante region most work is in tourist sector and construction. Your husband will have the chance of work but depending on his area of hospitality it might be competitive. Hotels are in Alicante city but in the coastal towns most people rent villas and apartments. Again it depends where you intend to live. If you want a city then Alicante is the one. It's quite nice and very Spanish. There are lots of small coastal towns heading south with Torrevieja being popular. Most of these places are popular with foreigners so expect some places to speak English. Plenty of private bilingual schools but not sure they will continue given the British curriculum now that it is harder for EU students ( and soon uk nationals) to get affordable assess to uk universities.
I wouldn't recommend a language academy. Alicante city has lots and they are quite well funded places so hard to compete against. The other towns have them too but it is quite a few years you have to be running them before you can start to make anything.
Thanks for this ! A real eye opener !!!
Old May 31st 2022, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it really depends what type of person you are and even though you might miss certain things about city life, it can also be a real shock when you are now used to rural living. I think you said you have been in your village 8 years now, but what makes you believe that Alicante will be better? A lot has changed in the past 8 years and I wouldn't say that people are more social than before. Especially in cities that are also touristic, you have even more challenges with people who don't care. Unless you have enough cash to secure a property that's detached and has a decent sized plot, you might regret what you left behind. Be it the large apartment blocks with loud music, traffic & pollution (air quality etc.). The next recession is also on the horizon and starting a business from scratch right now might be very challenging. At least now you seem to have a good amount of clients and no competition. Personally I couldn't live further than 20 mins drive from the coast and I can understand that you want to be near the coast, but you really need to look at your requirements.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 31st 2022 at 10:15 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.