Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

Old Jun 1st 2022, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to coastal areas maybe Alicante...

I wonder how many posters here are actually working and with families? I am and I live in Torrevieja. The idea that there is plenty of work is laughable. I have graduate students studying with me as it is so hard to find work and they can get help to pay for English classes when on the paro. I also have a contract with the biggest company in Alicante and the employees there do not get much more than 1300 a month even as IT staff. Plus they basically work 8.30 to 8.00 many driving from places like Cartegena or Alicante city.
A UK national will not get a decent paid job without Spanish ( who is going to employ a british lorry driver in Spain withour Spanish??). Honestly life is tough in Spain and whilst it might all appear easy for uk pensioners to think jobs are aplenty the reality is totally different
Old Jun 1st 2022, 11:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I wonder how many posters here are actually working and with families? I am and I live in Torrevieja. The idea that there is plenty of work is laughable. I have graduate students studying with me as it is so hard to find work and they can get help to pay for English classes when on the paro. I also have a contract with the biggest company in Alicante and the employees there do not get much more than 1300 a month even as IT staff. Plus they basically work 8.30 to 8.00 many driving from places like Cartegena or Alicante city.
A UK national will not get a decent paid job without Spanish ( who is going to employ a british lorry driver in Spain withour Spanish??). Honestly life is tough in Spain and whilst it might all appear easy for uk pensioners to think jobs are aplenty the reality is totally different
Excellent post.

Rosemary
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, the OP's husband is Spanish though and language won't be the problem here. Albir_Tom said and fair play to him "I am just one of them people that goes out and approaches people and put myself out and chase work relentlessly." I suppose some people just have that talent and can do everything and sometimes you need a bit of luck too. I know a lot of people in Spain who have studied and they can't even get a simple job in a supermarket because managers think they won't stay long anyway. Even in hospitality it's often a requirement that you speak another foreign language (German, French, Arabic etc.) and I'd agree that even IT is not automatically well paid. Personally we're allowed to work abroad as long as we stay below the 6 months, but I don't make use of that and it's only really possible without kids. Although the sunseekers only look to the South, maybe the OP should consider the North of Spain and although the OP is technically North, Palencia is very far from the coast.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 2nd 2022 at 1:05 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 1:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Question for the OP, What made you focus on Alicante? Have you visited there a lot? What draws you to that area?

Rosemary
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, working with a family and I work in IT. Where I work they're struggling to recruit and people move on fairly quickly. I find it hard to believe IT workers are getting 1300 per month unless they're confusing data entry with IT. Regardless, the sums I'm seeing on here for cost of living are about right. We're a family of 3 and we're not getting away with less than 500 per month on grocery shopping. That's with zero alcohol and shopping at Lidl and Aldi. Utilities are costing us about 250. Our rent is a killer but that's a lifestyle choice.
One thing I've learnt over the many years of being an expat is that some make it and some don't. It's more about attitude and approach than education or skills. If the OP is already surviving elsewhere in Spain they will be fine anywhere else in Spain. We all cut our cloth accordingly. I've known people get buy on 10k per year and people struggle on 10k per month.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Im not a pensioner im 34. Im British, since Ive completed my 7.5 tonne training I’ve been offered 3 indefinido contracts. Every one of them pays more than 1300 euros a month. I dont know what gravy boat you are on but it aint the same one as me. My guess is you dont leave torrevieja very often. Life isnt tough in Spain at all, its just some of us aint bone idol. You can walk into any one of the parking companies at Alicante airport and get a job right now if you have a driving licence 1200 a month net pay, if someone hasnt got a driving licence and cant leave torrevieja or whatever town they live in who’s problem is that ? There is such thing as industrial estates away from the holiday resorts you know

and by the way the OPs partner is Spanish
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Yes, working with a family and I work in IT. Where I work they're struggling to recruit and people move on fairly quickly. I find it hard to believe IT workers are getting 1300 per month unless they're confusing data entry with IT. Regardless, the sums I'm seeing on here for cost of living are about right. We're a family of 3 and we're not getting away with less than 500 per month on grocery shopping. That's with zero alcohol and shopping at Lidl and Aldi. Utilities are costing us about 250. Our rent is a killer but that's a lifestyle choice.
One thing I've learnt over the many years of being an expat is that some make it and some don't. It's more about attitude and approach than education or skills. If the OP is already surviving elsewhere in Spain they will be fine anywhere else in Spain. We all cut our cloth accordingly. I've known people get buy on 10k per year and people struggle on 10k per month.
This is such a true post, some people know how to approach it and work their way around people
and some just dont. Ive said in previous posts i don’t need tonnes of money to be happy over here, Mercadona is cheap, canyas are cheap, bills are cheap for me, I just make sure I graft and don’t live beyond my means acting like I am retired when im only 34 giving it the billy big balls sat in bars every night. I get jobs and I do my building on the side, I have done my 7.5 tonne lorry training, I make sure im active, I taught myself how to lay artificial grass, next thing I want to try is palm tree surgery, I know a Russian lad we had to get to a job a few months ago he done 36 palm trees that day at 25 euros per tree. The money is out there to be had.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Earning more is often the bigger danger and you can easily get carried away. You can earn 10K and think that the villa next to the beach is affordable, so take out a mortgage based on your salary today. Suddenly the recession comes, you lose that job and find yourself in a situation that means your new salary doesn't even cover the mortgage and the house is only worth 400K instead of 600K. I made sure that one social welfare payment will at least cover the mortgage and luckily it's fixed for now. But sometimes you just can't avoid things and look at how many people struggle to pay rent. https://www.euractiv.com/section/pol...ial-exclusion/ Those who always find work must also consider that there are many who never find work and every time you get the job somebody else doesn't. Attitude and approach can help, not everyone is blessed though.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Those who always find work must also consider that there are many who never find work and every time you get the job somebody else doesn't. Attitude and approach can help, not everyone is blessed though.
Ive sort of noticed the same thing as what happened when all the polish workers went to the UK a lot of ignorance and bone idols, people thinking they are too good to do a job. Another massive problem now is that a big portion of Spanish people in their 20s have an unhealthy obsession with becoming a social media influencer or YouTuber
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Ive sort of noticed the same thing as what happened when all the polish workers went to the UK a lot of ignorance and bone idols, people thinking they are too good to do a job. Another massive problem now is that a big portion of Spanish people in their 20s have an unhealthy obsession with becoming a social media influencer or YouTuber
I suppose the situation in Spain was very different and I remember during the last recession that a lot of teachers, engineers and lawyers In Spain couldn't find work. Those willing to take any job often heard the sentence "you're overqualified. Times are changing though and I remember when British people claimed that the French and Spanish kids don't eat fast food. Now you find a McDonald's in every shopping centre and they are full with Spanish kids. It was the same when I drove through France and it used to be mainly for tourists and now French families are queuing up outside. Even here in Galway it used to be only British and Irish girls who ran around half-naked and now the town is full with Spanish students wearing little. That's Globalization for us.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 2nd 2022 at 5:20 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the situation in Spain was very different and I remember during the last recession that a lot of teachers, engineers and lawyers In Spain couldn't find work. Those willing to take any job often heard the sentence "you're overqualified. Times are changing though and I remember when British people claimed that the French and Spanish kids don't eat fast food. Now you find a McDonald's in every shopping centre and they are full with Spanish kids. It was the same when I drove through France and it used to be mainly for tourists and now French families are queuing up outside. Even here in Galway it used to be only British and Irish girls who ran around half-naked and now the town is full with Spanish students wearing little. That's Globalization for us.
France has been McDos 2nd largest market for a long time now... The French also eat more pizzas per year than the Italians... Go figure...

As to finding a job near Alicant. The OP could try the 1 or 2 big Amazon distribution warehouses nearby.. There are also opportunities at the recycling sorting facilities.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by growinspain
France has been McDos 2nd largest market for a long time now... The French also eat more pizzas per year than the Italians... Go figure...

As to finding a job near Alicant. The OP could try the 1 or 2 big Amazon distribution warehouses nearby.. There are also opportunities at the recycling sorting facilities.
Working your way up to manager in McDonalds is a decent paid job so I believe and does not take long to do. Also Mercadona always need staff either in store, in distribution centre in San Isidro or delivery drivers. Mercadona have a great pension scheme etc and will give anyone who speaks Spanish a 3 month trial before offering an indefinido contract. So its simply down to the individual again. If you are too cool to work in Mercadona or McDonalds then ok no problem look elsewhere.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Working your way up to manager in McDonalds is a decent paid job so I believe and does not take long to do. Also Mercadona always need staff either in store, in distribution centre in San Isidro or delivery drivers. Mercadona have a great pension scheme etc and will give anyone who speaks Spanish a 3 month trial before offering an indefinido contract. So its simply down to the individual again. If you are too cool to work in Mercadona or McDonalds then ok no problem look elsewhere.
Please read. It was in relation to your comment about young Spanish becoming a social media influencer or YouTuber. Yes, only the best of the best can become a manager at McDonalds and hundreds are rejected. It's basically like a lawyer in the 70's, stewardess in the 60's and a dream job.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 2nd 2022 at 7:13 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

One of my students is a manager of a Consum store and I can categorically tell you that while these jobs are advertised there are dozens of people applying for them so competition is fierce. It is not like in UK. Supermarket work is very sought after ( there are even courses for them !!) but until recently you only got temporal then paro. My neighbour is now on paro and she used to work in Leroy Merlin, she is a single mum with 2 kids and she was telling me that it is really difficult to find that kind of work as everyone wants it. I dont know where you get the idea that Spanish are lazy and just want to be influencers!! ! They are extremely hard working and many young people are over the moon to be working 40 plus hours a week
I should add that people who get jobs often have to rely on enchufe ... that is very much the reality of spain and jobs!!

Last edited by Ronnyone; Jun 2nd 2022 at 7:45 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Please read. It was in relation to your comment about young Spanish becoming a social media influencer or YouTuber. Yes, only the best of the best can become a manager at McDonalds and hundreds are rejected. It's basically like a lawyer in the 70's, stewardess in the 60's and a dream job.
Are you joking ?

Becoming a manager at McDonalds is much more realistic than becoming a successful YouTuber or influencer. As I said it I down to the individual wanting to put an actual bit of elbow grease in starting from the bottom which is few and far between these days. It is not hard to get a job in Mcdonalds if someone decides they want to work there way to the top and put the hard work in they can do it.

Lawyer ? Stewardess ? What has working in Mcdonalds in Spain got absolutely anything to do with either of those ? Irrelevant garbage again.

The pessimism on this forum is outrageous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.