Reload this Page >

High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

Old May 2nd 2024, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Algorfa1950 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

Originally Posted by PoloMarco
As you FaceTime I assume an iPhone or iPad?

You can use Adobe Acrobat Reader to sign PDF documents (well at least with iPad)
I always use a computer.

By the way, I have just found out that Skipton only guarantee savings under their compensation scheme in Guernsey up to a maximum of £50,000 for each individual with an account (so presumably £100,000 for joint account holders). We are in the process of selling our bungalow and were going to put the proceeds into a Skipton Savings Account but it sounds a bit dicey doing that when the excess amount we put with them wouldn't be guaranteed. Would we be better using another bank I wonder?
Old May 2nd 2024, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

PoloMarco is an unknown quantity at this point

NS&I…

Most banks only guarantee your savings up to £85,000. We’re the only provider that secures 100% of your savings, however much you invest.”
Old May 2nd 2024, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

NS&I…

Most banks only guarantee your savings up to £85,000. We’re the only provider that secures 100% of your savings, however much you invest.”
So I did read that they will not always allow you to keep a savings account with them if you move abroad. I looked it up online.
Old May 2nd 2024, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

PoloMarco is an unknown quantity at this point

I assumed they are OK https://www.nsandi.com/help/join-nsa...ndi-outside-uk

and in post #2 above High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK
Old May 2nd 2024, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Actually I was just reading the T's & C's of the N.S. & I and they do guarantee 100% of your savings and can continue to hold a Direct Saver if you move abroad provided you have a UK bank account which we do have, we have arranged with Santander to change our current account to an "Everyday" Account so that could be a good route for us to place all our money with them including the proceeds from our property until we buy our next home in Spain anyway.
Old May 2nd 2024, 9:20 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Algorfa1950
We don't know anyone to ask !
Maybe get a notarised copy of the passport? It doesn't get any more legit than that!
Old May 2nd 2024, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

So I did read that they will not always allow you to keep a savings account with them if you move abroad. I looked it up online.
Rubbish.
I have both the savings accounts and me and the wife have premium bonds.
All opened when we still lived in the UK.
They and the Nationwide, Halifax and Uk Santander have no issues with us being in Spain and we maintain both savings and current accounts with them.
Nationwide removed my ISA and put the money in a standard account. Something called a savings card?????
True you cannot get loans or mortgages (and why would anyone loan money to people who are not resident).
I still have a Nationwide credit card although you cant buy online if it needs validating as the app needs a UK phone number (you dont have to be a Uk resident). So I bypass that by paying via Paypal..

If I were you I would open loads of accounts while still Uk resident and spread the money around. Then when one or two decide you cant have them its not too bad.
Alternatively open an NS&I and be done with it.
Id stick 50k in each of your names and the rest in the savings (you then have 100k chances of winning a million every month)
The Spanish taxman with thank you when he removes 40% when you win...

Old May 2nd 2024, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was just reading the T's & C's of the N.S. & I and they do guarantee 100% of your savings and can continue to hold a Direct Saver if you move abroad provided you have a UK bank account which we do have, we have arranged with Santander to change our current account to an "Everyday" Account so that could be a good route for us to place all our money with them including the proceeds from our property until we buy our next home in Spain anyway.
Be careful with Santander as Santander.es is not the same company and any transfers you make from the UK will be charged.
The only benefit of having accounts in both countries is the free use of cash machines.
Old May 3rd 2024, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
True you cannot get loans or mortgages (and why would anyone loan money to people who are not resident).

I got a small mortgage from a Spanish bank, without any difficulty, when I bought my first house in Spain, as a holiday home. The only difference between residents and non residents in getting a mortgage was that the banks would not lend as high a proportion of the property value to non residents, the maximum in those days was 60%.

The tax on lottery winnings and other prizes in Spain is 20%, on amounts higher than €40,000.
Old May 3rd 2024, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Rubbish.
I have both the savings accounts and me and the wife have premium bonds.
All opened when we still lived in the UK.
They and the Nationwide, Halifax and Uk Santander have no issues with us being in Spain and we maintain both savings and current accounts with them.
Nationwide removed my ISA and put the money in a standard account. Something called a savings card?????
I still have a Nationwide credit card although you cant buy online if it needs validating as the app needs a UK phone number (you dont have to be a Uk resident). So I bypass that by paying via Paypal..

If I were you I would open loads of accounts while still Uk resident and spread the money around. Then when one or two decide you cant have them its not too bad.
Alternatively open an NS&I and be done with it.
Id stick 50k in each of your names and the rest in the savings (you then have 100k chances of winning a million every month)
​​​​​However Premium Bonds are seen as savings in Spain so you declare in IRPF as savings. Lottery wins in Spain are immediately taxed.