Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by jimenato
Interesting stuff here on the difference between a scientific view and a deniers view. The scientist is Julia Sligo the Met Office's chief scientist. and the denier is Nigel Lawson - not a scientist.

What he says (my emphasis)

What she says

So she has said, quite reasonably, that we can't be sure but it looks very much like it could be true but he says "there is no proof" - as if she has said that there is.

It is one of my old friends the Straw Man Argument. He has, by implication, said that she has said there is 'proof' when she has said no such thing. He has done this as it easier to counter his created point than her actual one.

Cheap trick in my opinion.

He repeats the fallacy ...

He then makes an assertion...

Which is, of course, not true. There is loads of evidence but what there isn't is cast-iron proof.

Deniers often use this strategy of fallacy, spin and obfuscation rather than stick to the science.

Sources

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ing?CMP=twt_fd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26084625
all I know is that the UK and Europe are suffering the fallout of excessively aggressive storms of various types that have already ravaged the US.
Added to this the dip in the Jet Stream pushing the weather fronts further south.........

so as per usual the Yanks are dumping their rubbish on the UK
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Location: Castillo de Locubín in the Sierra Sur de Jaén, Andalucía, Spain
baldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
It was the ozone layer when I was a kid in the 70s - it had a hole in it that was letting our heat escape. that was due to using aerosols or something. We had to act fast to close that hole or by the year 2000 the UK would be colder than the arctic - it was a fact! I remember learning about it at school!!

Now theres an idea, lets get some of those CFC gases and see if we can make the hole appear again to let out all of that nasty CO2 - problem solved lol!!! - altho without CO2 and heat, plants wont grow and therefore wont make oxygen

Jo xxx
Jo, I think that is the most stupid and inane comment that has ever exited from your fundamental orifice. That is one of the problems with having your head buried the sand the only place for any utterances is the opening that is uppermost.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread, especially for those who don't have an opinion either way (i.e me).

However one thing I did notice, is that most of the *snide* insults came from those who believe in Global warming, whereas J2, Jo Jo and me me managed to post contributions without casting doubt on other posters intelligence or telling people they are speaking out of their arse etc.

Oh and I'm still not convinced one way or another
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:24 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Jimenato posted

What she says

Quote:
Dame Julia Slingo said the variable UK climate meant there was "no definitive answer" to what caused the storms.

"But all the evidence suggests there is a link to climate change," she added.

"There is no evidence to counter the basic premise that a warmer world will lead to more intense daily and hourly rain events."

So she has said, quite reasonably, that we can't be sure but it looks very much like it could be true but he says "there is no proof" - as if she has said that there is.

It is one of my old friends the Straw Man Argument. He has, by implication, said that she has said there is 'proof' when she has said no such thing. He has done this as it easier to counter his created point than her actual one.

Is this the same julia Slingo who said last April

“climate change was loading the dice towards freezing, drier weather.”

BTW it's Slingo not Sligo. Just saying like, seeing as you are so ready to jump in on others

Last edited by jackytoo; Feb 12th 2014 at 10:29 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:45 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
Interesting thread, especially for those who don't have an opinion either way (i.e me).

However one thing I did notice, is that most of the *snide* insults came from those who believe in Global warming, whereas J2, Jo Jo and me me managed to post contributions without casting doubt on other posters intelligence or telling people they are speaking out of their arse etc.

That lets me out then - I don't believe in global warming.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:33 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh

Clearly you are without opinion based on your utterly unbiased post.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Whether you believe me or not is of no consequence, but the evidence and proof is in the thread so go and reread.

Having said that, perhaps you don't want to reread it as it might make you a bit uncomfortable to reread you Holocaust comment
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:21 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
Whether you believe me or not is of no consequence, but the evidence and proof is in the thread so go and reread.

Having said that, perhaps you don't want to reread it as it might make you a bit uncomfortable to reread you Holocaust comment
Through reading your dim witted remarks, I appreciate you fail to grasp the concept of an analogy.
For that I certainly don´t feel any discomfort.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:33 am
Account Closed

LOL I was wondering if your reply would be insulting in some way and given your track record I was not disappointed.

Actually now I come to think about it your reply was not really insulting but a bit stupid as we all know how Google works and it's not so difficult to find definitions of analogy.

FWIW the only person on the side of Jo Jo et al. dishing out insults was the guy from the Italy forum, who managed to tear you (among others) to shreds.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Anyway, it doesn't serve much purpose for us to continue to trade barbs so I'm off to do some domestic stuff.

I guess though I'll find a reply here mañana ;-)
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mfh
LOL I was wondering if your reply would be insulting in some way and given your track record I was not disappointed.

Actually now I come to think about it your reply was not really insulting but a bit stupid as we all know how Google works and it's not so difficult to find definitions of analogy.

FWIW the only person on the side of Jo Jo et al. dishing out insults was the guy from the Italy forum, who managed to tear you (among others) to shreds.
A quote would be nice.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:36 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
A quote would be nice.
Yes - I agree. I guess he means garbatellamike who tried (humorously) to get a rise out of me but got caught out. It was quite fun.

I confess I have expressed some frustration at times during this thread but really... some of the misinformation and plainly wrong things being said... it is difficult sometimes when you are trying to have a proper discussion and people are just posting garbage, very frustrating.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yes - I agree. I guess he means garbatellamike who tried (humorously) to get a rise out of me but got caught out. It was quite fun.

I confess I have expressed some frustration at times during this thread but really... some of the misinformation and plainly wrong things being said... it is difficult sometimes when you are trying to have a proper discussion and people are just posting garbage, very frustrating.
Frustration aside, you seem to have held up well against it and I think fought a good fight.
I haven´t yet seen anyone counter you succesfully. When fronted with facts, the arguments have seemed somewhat empty.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:59 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baldilocks
Jo, I think that is the most stupid and inane comment that has ever exited from your fundamental orifice. That is one of the problems with having your head buried the sand the only place for any utterances is the opening that is uppermost.

Good grief - you took me seriously??? Bless you

In the first part of my post, I was quoting something from my memory as a 5 year old at primary school and in the second part I was being facetious DUH!!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:02 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line. If you truly believe that humans are the cause of climate change, then act on it and stop using electricity, cars and anything that increases your "carbon footprint"

Otherwise, accept that even the so called experts are now struggling to maintain their own belief in their computer model

Jo xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.