Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
In that case take it with an even bigger pinch of salt. Are these the same economists that have predicted a major crash (40%, 50%) in the housing market for the last 5 years? Economists are notorious for getting things wrong - their models are way out. My brother is an economics student and tells me the same.

And as MikeStanton observed: "The trouble with these surveys is that they don't take into account how boring a city is." Or the flies, the summers, the isolation...

Legoland would top the chart if the economists bothered to go there.
Well actually it was neither Melburnians nor a bunch of economists who rated Melbourne - it was a survey of expats (i.e. foreigners). They were asked to score the city on a bunch of criteria - weather, crime, housing, healthcare, transport, cultural and sporting events, education, etc.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Can't comment on Australia as I haven't been there but have spent the last 15 years in US and now really want to go home.
I've just returned from a visit home- reluctantly- and I can assure you that there were England flags flying from everywhere- houses, cars, busses, trucks, petrol stations, shops.
Hey if anyone prefers to live in another country- fine whatever floats your particular boat, but for the reasons that England has changed, lost its identity, has too many immigrants? HUH?? I can't get my head round those being reasons to move to another country. Bizarre.
The reasons I want to return to UK is because its home and I feel as though I've come home every time I visit. We had planned to do the transatlantic snowbird thing when we retired but now that's changed to maybe keeping a very small place here as a holiday home and spending the majority of time in Wales.
15 years is a long stint here! I know what you mean about feeling you have come home every time you visit the UK. However, last time I ended up looking forward to getting back to the US because I knew the UK WASN'T home and it was too unsettling being around everything that was familiar but knowing I couldn't stay (bawling my eyes out in Tesco's car park, etc).

How does your OH feel about the possibility of returning? Do you think if your daughter moves it will seal the deal? Do you have other kids in Florida?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
15 years is a long stint here! I know what you mean about feeling you have come home every time you visit the UK. However, last time I ended up looking forward to getting back to the US because I knew the UK WASN'T home and it was too unsettling being around everything that was familiar but knowing I couldn't stay (bawling my eyes out in Tesco's car park, etc).

How does your OH feel about the possibility of returning? Do you think if your daughter moves it will seal the deal? Do you have other kids in Florida?
Yep if my daughter moves back with two of our grandchildren it will seal the deal, I'm sure. Hubby intends to work till he drops (or so he says now) and he doesn't mind where we live but he doesn't think we can really afford to retire here and maintain our lifestyle- the way medicare etc is going etc. I have two adult sons here as well, one married with one child. Having grandchildren here is a dilemma, but if we keep a small place going we can come out for visits etc.
I see UK getting more Americanised every time I go home - apart from that I don't see many changes. Food I see cheaper in Wales than in Florida. Petrol is more expensive at the pump but cars do more than 19 to the gallon- and you don't drive the distances in UK, so I spend a heck of a lot less on petrol than I do on gas. Family and friends are irreplaceable and its still home.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:39 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Hi there,

Going back to children. We have 2 daughters aged 9 and 10. We moved across to WA 6 months ago and although we worried about how they would settle they've been absolutely fine and love it here....it's the oldies who have suffered!

The girls were one of the main reasons for coming here. We found that for more than half of the year they couldn't play outside due to the weather and it being dark in winter. It's winter now but because it's so mild they play out more than ever...they love it! At weekends we go to the beach and they have their girlie pink fishing rods determined to catch the big one.

BUT!!! We had the family support when our girls were small and I'm not sure I could have done it without my parents around. We still miss them so much but they are coming for 6 months at the end of the year. They miss the girls too but they are very positive about the whole thing. Even though they admit their life seems empty without the girls they said they would be disappointed if we returned as they've already been out for 2 months and can see that the lifestyle is much better for their grand-daughters.

I was wondering if you have or can apply for citizenship? That way you can go back to the UK whilst you have a family and then if you want to come back in a few years you can do. Nothing is forever!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:05 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SJR
Hi there,

Going back to children. We have 2 daughters aged 9 and 10. We moved across to WA 6 months ago and although we worried about how they would settle they've been absolutely fine and love it here....it's the oldies who have suffered!

The girls were one of the main reasons for coming here. We found that for more than half of the year they couldn't play outside due to the weather and it being dark in winter. It's winter now but because it's so mild they play out more than ever...they love it! At weekends we go to the beach and they have their girlie pink fishing rods determined to catch the big one.

BUT!!! We had the family support when our girls were small and I'm not sure I could have done it without my parents around. We still miss them so much but they are coming for 6 months at the end of the year. They miss the girls too but they are very positive about the whole thing. Even though they admit their life seems empty without the girls they said they would be disappointed if we returned as they've already been out for 2 months and can see that the lifestyle is much better for their grand-daughters.

I was wondering if you have or can apply for citizenship? That way you can go back to the UK whilst you have a family and then if you want to come back in a few years you can do. Nothing is forever!
What are you worried about, Your main reason for moving was for your kids
and they love it down here, if you move back your parents would feel guilty that you deprived your kids of a better lifestyle just so they can be with them, stay in OZ.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:09 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
What are you worried about, Your main reason for moving was for your kids
and they love it down here, if you move back your parents would feel guilty that you deprived your kids of a better lifestyle just so they can be with them, stay in OZ.
Sorry I think you mis-understood. We're not going back! I meant going back to the subject of children. I just read what I wrote and it didn't make sense. There's no way we are going back, things are going well here
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:59 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cam1977
Well actually it was neither Melburnians nor a bunch of economists who rated Melbourne - it was a survey of expats (i.e. foreigners). They were asked to score the city on a bunch of criteria - weather, crime, housing, healthcare, transport, cultural and sporting events, education, etc.
Sorry, I'm a social scientist and can see right through such surveys, whoever it is that is surveyed. E.g.

Population size and sample size
Return rate
Profile of respondents
Motivations of respondents
Choice of criteria
Rating scales used
Question phrasing
'Compensation'
Auditing of data
Data analysis techniques
And many other things which are usually not reported unless the study was done by a social science department of a good university.

And what are the chances of things changing hands for better (very lucrative) ratings I wonder...? Many, many competitions are fixed from the start (various Miss ______ competitions as examples) or extremely biased (consider how Bush was elected).

There are good surveys, but many are nonsense.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm a social scientist and can see right through such surveys, whoever it is that is surveyed. E.g.

Return rate
Profile of respondents
Choice of criteria
Rating scales used
Question phrasing
'Compensation'
Auditing of data
Data analysis techniques
And many other things which are usually not reported unless the study was done by a social science department of a good university.

And what are the chances of things changing hands for better (very lucrative) ratings I wonder...? Many, many competitions are fixed from the start (various Miss ______ competitions as examples) or extremely biased (consider how Bush was elected).

Whether it is a good or bad survey, would it not be the case that as long as its the same survey carried out in all cities then the results are relative to each other - therefore still a good indication?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:02 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Whether it is a good or bad survey, would it not be the case that as long as its the same survey carried out in all cities then the results are relative to each other - therefore still a good indication?
Not if the above factors mean that the questions and answers were skewed in favour of one place or the other.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

clutching at straws now saying that surveys are crap. what it boils down to is one mans meat is another mans poison, simple as, end of.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Not if the above factors mean that the questions and answers were skewed in favour of one place or the other.

Surely though, any survey that had questions that were so skewed to favour one place would then be obvious to anyone from outside the survey agency looking at the validity of the results?

Besides, the company that carried out the survey ( The Economist Intelligence Unit ) do not have an office in Australia so why would they want to influence a particular result? They have offices in London, New York, Hong Kong and Vienna.

Below is an excerpt from the BBC website regarding the poll:-

If you want to live abroad, Vancouver and Melbourne are the places to do it, a survey has revealed.
The best...
1=: Melbourne, Vancouver
3: Perth
4=: Geneva, Toronto, Vienna, Zurich
8=: Adelaide, Brisbane, Copenhagen, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Oslo, Montreal
Source: EIU

The cities came top of 130 surveyed by the Economist Intelligence Unit for the level of hardship they pose to expatriates.

And Australian cities overall scored particularly highly in the survey, with all five the country's urban centres surveyed ranked near the top of the table.

Europe was also well represented among the top 10 places.

The top US city, Honolulu, ranked 21st, with Boston, at 28th, the highest ranked city on the US mainland. Canada, in contrast, sneaked three cities into the top ten.

The UK cities of London, 44th, and Manchester, 50th, gained only a mid-table rating, with Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea bottom of the list.

I am not saying that Australia is great and for everyone just because a survey says. Just saying that surely an across the board survey must give a fair reflection of like-for-like.

northernbird is spot on with the one mans meat statement.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:50 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Surely though, any survey that had questions that were so skewed to favour one place would then be obvious to anyone from outside the survey agency looking at the validity of the results?

Besides, the company that carried out the survey ( The Economist Intelligence Unit ) do not have an office in Australia so why would they want to influence a particular result? They have offices in London, New York, Hong Kong and Vienna.

Below is an excerpt from the BBC website regarding the poll:-

If you want to live abroad, Vancouver and Melbourne are the places to do it, a survey has revealed.
The best...
1=: Melbourne, Vancouver
3: Perth
4=: Geneva, Toronto, Vienna, Zurich
8=: Adelaide, Brisbane, Copenhagen, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Oslo, Montreal
Source: EIU

The cities came top of 130 surveyed by the Economist Intelligence Unit for the level of hardship they pose to expatriates.

And Australian cities overall scored particularly highly in the survey, with all five the country's urban centres surveyed ranked near the top of the table.

Europe was also well represented among the top 10 places.

The top US city, Honolulu, ranked 21st, with Boston, at 28th, the highest ranked city on the US mainland. Canada, in contrast, sneaked three cities into the top ten.

The UK cities of London, 44th, and Manchester, 50th, gained only a mid-table rating, with Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea bottom of the list.

I am not saying that Australia is great and for everyone just because a survey says. Just saying that surely an across the board survey must give a fair reflection of like-for-like.

northernbird is spot on with the one mans meat statement.
Agreed on the final point.

And, as I'm not sure that hijacking this thread is the place to debate the use of surveys, I'll be brief. But my inital reaction to that poll is:

Level of hardship is a bloody hard thing to quantify. How are they defining it?What are they using as a baseline?
How are respondents selected? (Those most happy are perhaps most likely to respond, thus skewing which places are listed. Plus, all these places have enormous expat populations. Relatively speaking, somewhere more obscure might be the best place ever for exapts, but it doesn't get a look in due to the small numbers there.)

Surveys (even good ones) should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aaron8123
our first impression of melbourne is when we went to McDonalds
Well, that's your mistake right there
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Return rate
Profile of respondents
Choice of criteria
Rating scales used
Question phrasing
'Compensation'
Auditing of data
Data analysis techniques

Well as arguments go, this one is pretty lame. You list a bunch of things which could make the survey inaccurate and seem to regard this as proof that the survey is inaccurate.

It's like saying to a kid who's just done a maths exam, "Well you could have smuggled in a calculator, or you could have cheated off the kid next to you, or you could have had the answers written on your sleeve. Therefore I think you cheated!"

It is totally meaningless without any evidence. And you don't have any evidence.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:46 am
Kanga1

Emmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really nice

we are currently renting in Mornington and have been here 7wks and counting and feel very disappointed with Mornington very surprised with the graffiti, broken glass on the pavement, abandoned shopping trolley and hoons ripping up grass verges and using the roads as a race track. Not really sure whether Oz is for us and feel we have moved over the other side of the world for the same shit
We have moved from Lincoln and realised everthing thing we was hoping to find we already had. We dont find the pace of life any more laid back here peoples attitudes here are different and not that friendly. When do you plan on going back to York we never had the chance to visit it but went to Scarborough a couple of times and loved it there.

Hope it all works out for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.