Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:49 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Funny you should mention that as our first impression of melbourne is when we went to McDonalds in the CBD and went upstairs to eat, they had an opening in the roof with some netting, but this did not stop the pigeons getting in. There were about 50 birds in the restaurant and birds**t all over the tables. We had to eat here?. You would not get this in Central London, surely this is a major health hazard, the government don't even want birdsh*t on the pavements in Trafalgar Square anymore, let alone a restaurant.

I am not kidding, I think the Mac's is in bourke street or close by, check it out, Cos I know you are missing what happened in the zoo and you want a repeat performance. We can call it The Birds 2
The birds sh*t is probably less of a health hazard then the sh*t your eating at McDonalds.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The birds sh*t is probably less of a health hazard then the sh*t your eating at McDonalds.
good point
Old Jul 7th 2006, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should mention that as our first impression of melbourne is when we went to McDonalds in the CBD
Memoires of melbourne maccas in the city was the toilets :scared: The ladies loos had tiny doors, like those saloon doors in western movies about 2 foot high in steel, no privacy prevents the junkies outside shooting up, it also prevented me having a pee

Never noticed the birds, it was december, was really shocked that melb had so many flies, had lived in melb in winter so had no idea how bad they were in summer.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

A good post, I can see a lot of people doing what you have done, You are getting the best of both worlds. I personally would like to do this some time in the future, however the property prices in spain are very high now, but still worth it as they probably won't come down! One of my friends has done this in Marbella, invested in a business and property out there and does not regret it one bit.
I'm north of Marbella, 10 minutes slightly in the mountains, but can see valley and sea views 360 degrees from my terrace which has the sun on it all day.. I have great spanish neighbours. I had a water pump go on me a couple of weeks ago, and asked him if he knew anyone to fix it, the guy was there within an hour, I went away the next day, gave him my keys and when I came back 2 weeks later it was fixed. It was another week before I saw him to pay him, and even then he wasn't in a hurry to be. You can still get good bargains in Spain if you get the spanish papers, and don't use real estate agents, that's whats pumping up the price. I brought 3 years ago now for a very good price especially for my location, with quarter of acre with a variety of fruit trees, from bananas,grapes, mango, avacado, lieaches, oranges, lemons, pears, peaches. I have my own fruit salad bowl. I saved about 60k by buying in Spain and got a better property than I would have done in UK. I'm 8 minutes from the town and beach. So I also get the rural life, town, and beach and only 35 minutes to the airport and city, 2.5 hours to get to UK so I'm sorted. My business partner has left his house the same time as me, from the South Coast and arrived the same time at Brum airport as I have. I've met quite a few other Northern Europeans doing the same thing from Sweden, Norway, Germany etc, all commuting for their work. So it is quite popular.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I'm north of Marbella, 10 minutes slightly in the mountains, but can see valley and sea views 360 degrees from my terrace which has the sun on it all day.. I have great spanish neighbours. I had a water pump go on me a couple of weeks ago, and asked him if he knew anyone to fix it, the guy was there within an hour, I went away the next day, gave him my keys and when I came back 2 weeks later it was fixed. It was another week before I saw him to pay him, and even then he wasn't in a hurry to be. You can still get good bargains in Spain if you get the spanish papers, and don't use real estate agents, that's whats pumping up the price. I brought 3 years ago now for a very good price especially for my location, with quarter of acre with a variety of fruit trees, from bananas,grapes, mango, avacado, lieaches, oranges, lemons, pears, peaches. I have my own fruit salad bowl. I saved about 60k by buying in Spain and got a better property than I would have done in UK. I'm 8 minutes from the town and beach. So I also get the rural life, town, and beach and only 35 minutes to the airport and city, 2.5 hours to get to UK so I'm sorted. My business partner has left his house the same time as me, from the South Coast and arrived the same time at Brum airport as I have. I've met quite a few other Northern Europeans doing the same thing from Sweden, Norway, Germany etc, all commuting for their work. So it is quite popular.
all this sounds bliss...

I only have one problem though and thats I can't speak a foreign language if my life depended on it. I have tried French a few times but I can't understand how something can be masculine or feminine
Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

It sounds wonderful, if anyone is living the dream, I reckon its YOU. I realise that I would be going back to UK back to all the things I left, but when you go abroad you go for a better life, this does not happen to be OZ for me. I can honestly say hand on heart I had a better life in the UK. However, I do need my dose of sun from time to time and having a second property in espanol sounds all the more appealing. Having been to Marbella (touristy parts mind you) I love it there.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
all this sounds bliss...

I only have one problem though and thats I can't speak a foreign language if my life depended on it. I have tried French a few times but I can't understand how something can be masculine or feminine
I didn't speak a word of spanish when I got here. But I tend now to be able to understand it better than I speak it, I'm very pigeon, but my neighbours keep rattling away in Spanish and I do get the gist of what they are saying. I've got to go and ask one of them to get his brother to come around as I need some work doing on the house, and it needs painting, so if in a few weeks my house is pink with purple spots, you know that I need more improvements on my spanish., But you can get away without speaking any spanish at all, many do, there is an expat community here, but personally I tend to go everywhere Spanish, I don't see the point living here otherwise, if I'm living in little England with sun.

Last edited by Mercedes; Jul 7th 2006 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:40 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Why can't you and all the other anti wherever they live lot just say you don't like it, it doesn't offer you what you thought it would and move on instead of blaming it on the town, country etc etc.
Oh yes, like all the anti-UK people do on the Australia forum you mean?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:57 pm

I am glad you agree. The thing that bugs me is that it is meant to be the worlds most liveable city!
Hmmm, world's most livable city according to whom? Melbournians? Yeah, right! And what does livable mean? If you prefer village life, then any city will not be your cup of tea. Maybe it means boring? Look, it is no secret that Australia is also the world's most parochial nation - or it aspires to be! Discomfort with this severe parochialism and self-satisfaction is particular strong coming from a country that is very willing to look outside itself and to examine its warts.

Yet I like most of the Aussies I met and knew. They are friendly folk. And we are all naturalised Aussies. But the parochialism and self-satisfaction of Australia I do not lilke. Australians' apparent inability to critique Australia is irritating, and leads to complacency and medicrity. Having a healthy attitude toward ones' country is great, but healthy involves the ability to look beyond yourself, and the desire to critique and take corrective action based on that. A good example is the ease with which the industrial relations reforms eased through: ironically, "UnAustralian" (meaning unfair to the rest of the world) yet it was too much effort for Australia to oppose it.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:09 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Hmmm, world's most livable city according to whom? Melbournians? Yeah, right! And what does livable mean? If you prefer village life, then any city will not be your cup of tea. Maybe it means boring? Look, it is no secret that Australia is also the world's most parochial nation - or it aspires to be! Discomfort with this severe parochialism and self-satisfaction is particular strong coming from a country that is very willing to look outside itself and to examine its warts.

Yet I like most of the Aussies I met and knew. They are friendly folk. And we are all naturalised Aussies. But the parochialism and self-satisfaction of Australia I do not lilke. Australians' apparent inability to critique Australia is irritating, and leads to complacency and medicrity. Having a healthy attitude toward ones' country is great, but healthy involves the ability to look beyond yourself, and the desire to critique and take corrective action based on that. A good example is the ease with which the industrial relations reforms eased through: ironically, "UnAustralian" (meaning unfair to the rest of the world) yet it was too much effort for Australia to oppose it.
It was'nt Aussies that declared Melbourne the world's most liveable city, it was a London based organisation called the Economist intelligence Unit.
http://www.citymayors.com/environmen...estcities.html
www.invest.vic.gov.au/News/News/Liveable222.htm

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Jul 7th 2006 at 11:15 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

It was'nt Aussies that declared Melbourne the world's most liveable city, it was a London based organisation called the Economist intelligence Unit.
Yeah, but like many of us expats, they have probably never been there and made this assumption from afar
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't speak a word of spanish when I got here. But I tend now to be able to understand it better than I speak it, I'm very pigeon, but my neighbours keep rattling away in Spanish and I do get the gist of what they are saying. I've got to go and ask one of them to get his brother to come around as I need some work doing on the house, and it needs painting, so if in a few weeks my house is pink with purple spots, you know that I need more improvements on my spanish., But you can get away without speaking any spanish at all, many do, there is an expat community here, but personally I tend to go everywhere Spanish, I don't see the point living here otherwise, if I'm living in little England with sun.
I don't know if it is just me but this who moving countries thing has tired me out to the point that I just want to move back to where I know and settle for good...
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:11 am

It wasn't Aussies that declared Melbourne the world's most liveable city, it was a London based organisation called the Economist intelligence Unit.
In that case take it with an even bigger pinch of salt. Are these the same economists that have predicted a major crash (40%, 50%) in the housing market for the last 5 years? Economists are notorious for getting things wrong - their models are way out. My brother is an economics student and tells me the same.

And as MikeStanton observed: "The trouble with these surveys is that they don't take into account how boring a city is." Or the flies, the summers, the isolation...

Legoland would top the chart if the economists bothered to go there.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jul 8th 2006 at 8:20 am.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light

Hi aaron again,

I was just reading your quote, we seem so similar in our thoughts and experiences in OZ. I have met a few poms here who have come from rough backgrounds and are living well here. I honestly don't believe we are that much better off here ( we had a nice house and two cars in uk ). I honestly with natural progression, kids growing up etc. we would have been much better off in the UK by now. I gree that if we had the lifestyle of the of the last person, yeah you would miss it. But that is certainly not the lifestyle of any pom I know here, they seem to be struggling here more not less.

It sounds wonderful, if anyone is living the dream, I reckon its YOU. I realise that I would be going back to UK back to all the things I left, but when you go abroad you go for a better life, this does not happen to be OZ for me. I can honestly say hand on heart I had a better life in the UK. However, I do need my dose of sun from time to time and having a second property in espanol sounds all the more appealing. Having been to Marbella (touristy parts mind you) I love it there.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree Australia doesn't particularly have an identity. What it does have is a nation of people who are proud to be australian and a people who are not frightened to tell people who don't like their culture (or lack of ) and behaviour exactly where to poke it. I have seen so many stories over the years of people being told they can't fly a flag, celebrate Christmas etc etc that I have become quite disillusioned with being English. I am not saying England is crap, it isn't. It just isn't the place I want to live, Australia is. Why people just can't admit Australia isn't for them instead of slagging it off is beyond me.
Can't comment on Australia as I haven't been there but have spent the last 15 years in US and now really want to go home.
I've just returned from a visit home- reluctantly- and I can assure you that there were England flags flying from everywhere- houses, cars, busses, trucks, petrol stations, shops.
Hey if anyone prefers to live in another country- fine whatever floats your particular boat, but for the reasons that England has changed, lost its identity, has too many immigrants? HUH?? I can't get my head round those being reasons to move to another country. Bizarre.
The reasons I want to return to UK is because its home and I feel as though I've come home every time I visit. We had planned to do the transatlantic snowbird thing when we retired but now that's changed to maybe keeping a very small place here as a holiday home and spending the majority of time in Wales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.