Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

telelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by Jessie James
We're seriously considering moving back to the UK from Oz next year to buy our first house and (hopefully) start a family. Despite having a fantastic 3 years here so far these things seem too daunting to do so far from home and family.

We have an area in mind that we would move back to, which we haven't lived in before but isn't too far from friends and family. We would move back with enough for a deposit on a house that we could afford providing we find work earning what we do here.

I don't hate it here or love it there or vice versa - both countries have plus and minus points. I just feel that the life we have been enjoying here has been great for a young couple with no real responsibilities but that it's time to move on to bigger things and these are things that make family support and a sense of 'home' much more important.

Anyway, would just be interested to hear from people who had a positive experience in moving back and what their motivations for the move were?

Thanks
We came the other way and back again and back again... sort of I think

As in Marie and I came out to Oz for a year in 1991, went home to Oxfordshire when our working visas expired, bought a house, bought a dog, had 2 kids (one of each). We've moved back to Adelaide; is Australia a better place to bring up kids than the UK? Do Australian parents have more time to spend with their kids? Can you enjoy outdoor leisure activities in Oz without costing an arm and a leg, I reckon so

Last edited by telelynx; Jun 22nd 2006 at 6:07 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:48 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, most people that have returned and are happy wont post. I wont go into it all as I will be off to work soon. Busy working, taking long pleasant walks with my dogs, great shopping, so much to see and do. Very busy...and loving it. Beautiful country, lovely people. God, we Brits are blessed.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Yep, most people that have returned and are happy wont post. I wont go into it all as I will be off to work soon. Busy working, taking long pleasant walks with my dogs, great shopping, so much to see and do. Very busy...and loving it. Beautiful country, lovely people. God, we Brits are blessed.
Yes thats right , you have 1MILLION ILLEGAL immigrants ,that agree with you ............... mm
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I would just like to say you have encompassed my feelings entirely. I too have decided to move back and only today the hairdresser said well there's more things out here and the weather is miles better etc..These comments from people who have never been to the UK. And since been away from family I'm afraid playing the better weather card means absolutely nothing to me. Thanks if I had any doubts you have made the decision a lot easier.

Mandy

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
I have been back a good few weeks now, and really glad I went to Aus and come back to blighty, it was worth the experience some really good, and some really weird and weirdo situations I found myself in.

I was going to write a story but basically lost interest and cant be arsed.
Everyone see's things differnently which I enjoy as it offers diversity in the world.

Personally I like England, and can happily live here for the rest of my life, I am english and proud to be, I am proud of the monarchyand the establised society we have, I enjoy the four seasons dark winters and long days of summer, regardless of rain or sun.

I will say:
One area that I found insulting and abusive was peoples reaction and remarks of going back to the England, as though Aus was the best place in the world, unfortunately it isnt, and whether you like it never will be. Its a nice country but "Just not all that".........there is something missing and at the moment I just cant put my finger on it, but it will come one day I am sure.

It has a lot going, but my exerience its transient, everyone moves around it has no roots, limited heritage, as the aussies only want history that is selective just like there personality, friendships and memory.
Never been in a society where the $ is obsessive,
The culture only exist in a few areas mainly in the cities, the rest is hicky towns and suburbia, anyone with a desire to get away from the country is torn to pieces and treated like a traitor....

Would I go back.. not at all, its a done deal, and theres no going back as people say, a complete opposite to what i said before I left blighty.. what a difference a stint does for you in Aus....

Conclusion

Worth the experience, lovely to see country.
Worth the experience of working for ...enough said.......couldnt have paid for it, even though i have some way or other.

Not worth the financial burden I have put myself in.
Glad to be back amongst friends and family
Glad to have a career once again where I am not prevented by "professional Cieling" and greed.
Glad to see educated politicians regardless of what the media pommie bashers say
Glad to be putting my kids in English mainstream education regardless of what the media and the pommie bashers say

There lots more but I am now bored................
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mr mover
Yes thats right , you have 1MILLION ILLEGAL immigrants ,that agree with you ............... mm
I find this petty and mind numbing that adults run from this....

wouldnt you be an immigrant in Aus, although legal...........

Get a grip, I think moving away could offer this to you
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

each to there own I say. I left England and have no interest in returning. I understand everything that is said about Australia in particular but for me its the right place to bring up my family.

I left the UK because it is losing its identity. I am proud to be English yet feel increasingly alienated when in my 'home' country. Can't fly the flag, can't have nativity plays etc etc. The countryside, the history, proximity to europe are all wonderful things but not enough for me.

Until the loony lefties who have sacrificed the country for political correctness are thrown out I won't be returning.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Drewster is an unknown quantity at this point

Have read articles on this site regularly over the last month and 99% are interesting, insightful and helpful. It's safe to say your contributions are not and seem to be the saddest and chippiest. Can't help feeling you're a closet English wannabe cause there's definitely some weird jealousy thing going on.

Think it's time to get over your resentment against the UK mate and get on with your life.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:25 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drewster

Have read articles on this site regularly over the last month and 99% are interesting, insightful and helpful. It's safe to say your contributions are not and seem to be the saddest and chippiest. Can't help feeling you're a closet English wannabe cause there's definitely some weird jealousy thing going on.

Think it's time to get over your resentment against the UK mate and get on with your life.
NO.......... ............. mm
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:40 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I also think that many people who move back to the UK wont be posting on here to anywhere near the extent that they did when they were living overseas. I was back in the UK a couple of years ago for around 2 months and not only didnt I have the time to post...too busy getting out and having a life but I found that all the reasons that motivated me to post when I was in the US were no longer there so I felt less inclined to post. Its almost as though I didnt have as much in common with anyone on this board anymore. You only have to look at previous prolific posters like Calle to see that happens.
Yep, I hardly have time to post anymore. Although I do have a little one making life extra busy my life here in the UK is good.

Life in Oz was far to laid back and my life was filled with endless days on this site. Better than dying of boredom
Now I'm to busy to post most days. My life is very busy, too busy some would say, thats why they move.....but give me busy anyday compared with comatose Perth.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
each to there own I say. I left England and have no interest in returning. I understand everything that is said about Australia in particular but for me its the right place to bring up my family.

I left the UK because it is losing its identity. I am proud to be English yet feel increasingly alienated when in my 'home' country.
So you left a country that you claim is losing its identity, England, to one that has none; Oz.

Bizarre.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
So you left a country that you claim is losing its identity, England, to one that has none; Oz.

Bizarre.
I am not going to get into a slanging match with you, everyone on this site knows your feelings. I agree Australia doesn't particularly have an identity. What it does have is a nation of people who are proud to be australian and a people who are not frightened to tell people who don't like their culture (or lack of ) and behaviour exactly where to poke it. I have seen so many stories over the years of people being told they can't fly a flag, celebrate Christmas etc etc that I have become quite disillusioned with being English. I am not saying England is crap, it isn't. It just isn't the place I want to live, Australia is. Why people just can't admit Australia isn't for them instead of slagging it off is beyond me.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:23 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am not going to get into a slanging match with you, everyone on this site knows your feelings. I agree Australia doesn't particularly have an identity. What it does have is a nation of people who are proud to be australian and a people who are not frightened to tell people who don't like their culture (or lack of ) and behaviour exactly where to poke it. I have seen so many stories over the years of people being told they can't fly a flag, celebrate Christmas etc etc that I have become quite disillusioned with being English. I am not saying England is crap, it isn't. It just isn't the place I want to live, Australia is. Why people just can't admit Australia isn't for them instead of slagging it off is beyond me.
Northernbird - do you really believe in the flag/christmas stories? do you not see that they are just a bit of blown up news from the Mail in order to flog a few more papers and keep their agenda going.

I mean really - there are more England flags waving around at the moment than you can poke a stick at and I suspect that 95% of the UK population will sit down to turkey again this Xmas (those that don't want a curry that is).

The Mail/Express need to pander to the thinly veiled xenophobia of the working and lower middle class Brit, so if they hear of one idiotic action by an overly-concerned school head or local authority they blow it up onto a front page rant about it, hinting that it is rampant across the country.

They have key words such as "hard working families", "PC Brigade", "nanny state", and on, that are designed to define their decent hard working family readers from the others (immigrants, single parents, gays, liberals etc) to ensure that a "them and us" situation is created which ensures a good buy-in from their readers and a good sale of papers.

I fully support anyones decisions to live abroad and experience a different lifestyle, however I find the thinly veiled racism involved in many peoples reasoning somewhat unpleasant. When I last spent a few months in Spain recently I met several expats whose reasoning for moving to Spain was that there were "too many immigrants in the UK" - and they honestly saw no irony in that statement whatsoever.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Northernbird - do you really believe in the flag/christmas stories? do you not see that they are just a bit of blown up news from the Mail in order to flog a few more papers and keep their agenda going.

I mean really - there are more England flags waving around at the moment than you can poke a stick at and I suspect that 95% of the UK population will sit down to turkey again this Xmas (those that don't want a curry that is).

The Mail/Express need to pander to the thinly veiled xenophobia of the working and lower middle class Brit, so if they hear of one idiotic action by an overly-concerned school head or local authority they blow it up onto a front page rant about it, hinting that it is rampant across the country.

They have key words such as "hard working families", "PC Brigade", "nanny state", and on, that are designed to define their decent hard working family readers from the others (immigrants, single parents, gays, liberals etc) to ensure that a "them and us" situation is created which ensures a good buy-in from their readers and a good sale of papers.

I fully support anyones decisions to live abroad and experience a different lifestyle, however I find the thinly veiled racism involved in many peoples reasoning somewhat unpleasant. When I last spent a few months in Spain recently I met several expats whose reasoning for moving to Spain was that there were "too many immigrants in the UK" - and they honestly saw no irony in that statement whatsoever.
Sounds very similar to what the "jews " were saying in germany in 1938 ..................... mm
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very similar to what the "jews " were saying in germany in 1938 ..................... mm

Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

I am a Telegraph reader actually. However newspapers aside I find your insinuation that I am racist rather unpleasant. I don't give a monkeys toss who comes and lives in England as long as they become law abiding citizens and respect the customs and history as I would respect theirs in their country. We came to live in Australia to give our kids a better life than we had in England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.