Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by gardnma
Granted US TV is, in general, mind numbing shite, anyone know how much TV, internet and phone service in the UK costs (combined)?

We send Cox Com (don't laugh) $100 a month for dig TV, high speed 'net and local phone svc. Which isn't too bad.
TV license is about £11 per month
Sky TV starts about £18 ish up to £40 odd
We pay £17.99 for 1mb NTL cable modem
Our phone bill is usually around £20 ( we don't use it much )
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Dont move to Melbourne then

As for the rest of the OZ it ain't much fun living outdoors when you have to 'slip, slap, slop' every hour then you spend the rest of the time wiping it from your eyes and trying to avoid eating flies whilst the mosquitoes are eating you. It gets to evening and everything shuts down and it gets gets very dark, very early.. next thing you know you are turning on the TV and that is where desperation seeks in and you are checking out the returning forum
Everything that is written above is sooooooo true. Isn't it scary how so many people have very similar views on the negatives of Oz, but there is such a variation on the pros. It must say something!!

Also isn't it funny how most of the people who write about their experiences that are supposed to be positive are usually writing after being here for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months and 75% of the thread concentrates on the bad things that have happened i.e trying to get anything done in oz and the last paragraph says oh but the worst over it will get better.

Just my observations of reading many BE posts
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Great post - thanks. We were going to leave our stuff here in storage, but thought that there are things we will definatly want to take. By the time we have packed those items and sent them, we may as well have sent the lot. It might help us settle more quickly as well if we have our familiar things with us. It's still early days yet. We are not going to make any form plans and dates until we have that little sticker in the passport - there is no guarantee that we will be given visas.
Well, it shows how different people are. We left the UK because we didn't want to raise children there. We live in Melbourne's inner suburbs and I think it's a fantastic place to raise kids. There are parks all over the place to take kids. The aquarium and zoo and not to mention various museums are considered some of the best in Australia. There are lots of schools near to us and I take the tram with these kids, who in general behave extremely well (a big relief). I can actually walk on the streets without the concern that someone who mistakes themselves for a footballer is going to spit on me. I always see sporting events taking place in the area, formal or informal from footy, rugby, cricket, netball etc. My sister walks with her daughter to the royal botanical gardens all the time, it is free and it's gorgeous, a really nice way to spend the day.

Yes, the tv is crap. Good! I don't want my children spending their days glued to the TV. I would rather spend the day driving them up the mountains to go taboganning in the snow (in the winter) or to the beach (in summer). I am sorry but there is an old saying, only boring people get bored.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I am sorry but there is an old saying, only boring people get bored.
Well we must all be boring then if we spend our days contributing to a forum instead of getting out there and enjoying ourselves!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry but there is an old saying, only boring people get bored.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a complete load of bo***cks. Like a lot of old sayings, in fact.

I'd say the opposite is true in many cases. People who are satisfied with a dull routine in soul-crushing suburbia tend not to be the most interesting individuals, in my experience. But they're certainly not bored. Lucky them.

Have you never been bored? Anywhere?

Each to their own, I guess...
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Everything that is written above is sooooooo true. Isn't it scary how so many people have very similar views on the negatives of Oz, but there is such a variation on the pros. It must say something!!

Also isn't it funny how most of the people who write about their experiences that are supposed to be positive are usually writing after being here for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months and 75% of the thread concentrates on the bad things that have happened i.e trying to get anything done in oz and the last paragraph says oh but the worst over it will get better.
lol. I agree. I didn't bother whining about the things to do - you just do them.

That the negatives are so similar is a good thing, the pattern means that some people can identify if they are 'high-risk', if that makes sense...
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a complete load of bo***cks. Like a lot of old sayings, in fact.

I'd say the opposite is true in many cases. People who are satisfied with a dull routine in soul-crushing suburbia tend not to be the most interesting individuals, in my experience. But they're certainly not bored. Lucky them.
I've often thought of trotting that one out myself, but have thought the better of it seeing as I figured it would not stand up to scrutiny, as you say(!) I recall that was one of the first sayings my mother said that I was able to repudiate.

All I know is, you either find things not worth staying, and this will not sway you, (infact you will probably get more focused that way), or by circumstances you'll do OK. I've noticed that the unhappier people really come fixated by the same things, no matter the actual degree of reality vs perceived unhappiness. Only a return home will prove it.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Have you never been bored? Anywhere?

Each to their own, I guess...
Well, perhaps you can tell me exactly how you think a 3 year old child should be spending their time. I think playing in the park, tobogganing, a trip to the toy library, a trip to the book library for a story, aquariums, zoos, a visit to a childrens farm, swimming (in a pool or in the sea), concerts in the park are all quite nice but if one day my children inform me that they are tired of 'soul-crushing suburbia', I will get in touch with you and perhaps we can all go off and watch a drive by shooting

I would be willing to bet that you have actually spent very little time in Melbourne, if ever.

Last edited by Shellfish; Jul 5th 2006 at 6:12 am.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Well, perhaps you can tell me exactly how you think a 3 year old child should be spending their time. I think playing in the park, tobogganing, a trip to the toy library, a trip to the book library for a story, aquariums, zoos, a visit to a childrens farm, swimming (in a pool or in the sea), concerts in the park are all quite nice but if one day my children inform me that they are tired of 'soul-crushing suburbia', I will get in touch with you and perhaps we can all go off and watch a drive by shooting

I would be willing to bet that you have actually spent very little time in Melbourne, if ever.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to your life or to Melbourne (I have been, by the way, and quite liked it).

I just take issue with your rolling out of the platitude "only boring people get bored", and the implication that anyone who finds their situation less than exciting must have a problem. Not everyone wants the same things.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your life or to Melbourne (I have been, by the way, and quite liked it).

I just take issue with your rolling out of the platitude "only boring people get bored", and the implication that anyone who finds their situation less than exciting must have a problem. Not everyone wants the same things.
I like this statement. The sooner everyone reaslises this the better. You can't say Australia is boring, its just not true. You have to say "I find Australia doesn't offer me the life experience I want it to" I love soul crushing suburbia because it beats commuting to London and having a row with my mother in law!!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree that Melbourne has a lot to offer the younger child.
I am now finding however that my kids are getting to the age where they need a little more from life. They wish to head to France to experience another language and culture and the obvious Disney Land! They can't wait for the English theme parks, Madame Tussuad's and a massive choice of museums. Let alone the youngest already booking out every weekend that Granddad did have spare to go rally driving and banger racing.... girls hey ;-)
I guess that for us the UK offers more things that are of interest. We are all different and enjoy different things in life.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
You have to say "I find Australia doesn't offer me the life experience I want it to" I love soul crushing suburbia because it beats commuting to London and having a row with my mother in law!!
I agree with you here.

We lived in Tokyo for five years, and I came here to slow things down. For the first six months or so, working from home here in Perth certainly beat commuting in Tokyo, but now I'm not so sure. I've started to miss the bustle.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. You may find you start missing your mother-in-law soon
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you here.

We lived in Tokyo for five years, and I came here to slow things down. For the first six months or so, working from home here in Perth certainly beat commuting in Tokyo, but now I'm not so sure. I've started to miss the bustle.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. You may find you start missing your mother-in-law soon
doubt it, even the old man doesn't miss his mother
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

It sounds like a lovely life for a child but one that can be had both in Australia and Britain.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jugsy
It sounds like a lovely life for a child but one that can be had both in Australia and Britain.

At least in Oz you won't be freezing your nuts off for 10 months of the year doing it, ( probably be frying them instead ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.