Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

8th June 2017 UK General Election

8th June 2017 UK General Election

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8th June 2017 UK General Election

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
The Pm already started the ball rolling - she wants to 'get rid of' those pesky human rights' that she feels we neither need or are entitled to
I think there needs to be a line in the sand, where people can loose certain rights....
If "Bryan" murders his neighbours family, then his right to a family life should not be more important than his crime.
If "Bobbie" is from Whereiztan, who have a death penalty, then the UK government should no longer worry about this if "Bobbie" has committed a crime in the UK as "Bobbie" chose to live outside the rules set to protect themselves and others.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:08 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
If it walks & quacks like a duck, it's a duck....... The name won't matter but it'll be the same thing........ and quite honestly, I reckon the only thing they could do was adopt all the EU laws into UK laws & then change them from there but it's gonna take a helluva long time to do it.

Politicians & media are often talking at least 10 years which probably means considerably longer in reality.
I think you are right.It is such a mammoth task that it will take decades.
Some get confused between what was incorporated into law and EU regulation.
There are thousands of EU regulations that have no bearing on the UK such as citrus, olive, oil, Cork etc etc.
These are not part of UK law and can be removed with the stroke of a pen.
It does not and will not need thousands of new civil servants.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
I think there needs to be a line in the sand, where people can loose certain rights....
If "Bryan" murders his neighbours family, then his right to a family life should not be more important than his crime.
If "Bobbie" is from Whereiztan, who have a death penalty, then the UK government should no longer worry about this if "Bobbie" has committed a crime in the UK as "Bobbie" chose to live outside the rules set to protect themselves and others.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

No Comment

Thousands of overseas Britons barred from voting in UK general election

p.s. I have no idea if this link has already been posted !
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

All a bit out of context - i replied to the point Emr made that he thought there wouldn't be many changes - i thought otherwise and used mays statement that she would abolish and re-write human rights legislation as an example

i do agree that many areas of laws need to be reviewed - but i would put peoples rights ahead - simple things like paying the pension you followed the rules for 40 years to get - adequate funding for public services and the NHS - prevent greedy companies from fracking under your living room or sticking a 150metre windmill in your back garden - making the system fairer - you contribute - you get better treatment - benefits etc than those that dont - UK people or immigrants - or even simply explaining why half the country is covered needlessly in yellow lines
your Bobbie example is a bit distorted - murderers go to jail - end of
you are referring to the deportation cases where people rightly or wrongly have more rights to not be seperated from there families than to be sent packing - personally i think they should go - but it is more complicated than it first seems - eg some people face deportation for filling in forms incorrectly like several recent EU people some of whom lived in the UK virtually since birth and have UK born wives and children - and would be forced to go

my view is seriously break the law - go - ie a prison sentance
otherwise review on a personal case level

Last edited by carvoeiro; Apr 22nd 2017 at 9:49 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

my view is seriously break the law - go
otherwise review on a personal case level
What's Portugal's legal view on this. Is it the UK over complicating the matter?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

your Bobbie example is a bit distorted - murderers go to jail - end of
Bryan was the murderer, not Bobbie

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

What's Portugal's legal view on this. Is it the UK over complicating the matter?
i guess Portugal follows EU law - but in 15 years of owning property here i only ever saw one case in the press and they deported him to Angola
i guess they just dont attract the wrong kind of people here - or maybe they just put a bullet in their head and throw them in the sea - gets my vote for some people -----
one of the great misunderstandings that UK people have - hugely encouraged by the gutter press is that countries in the EU dont have the rights to have their own laws and to opt out of many EU laws
They can and all countries do - maybe Portugal has more legislation of its own to get around this issue - i really dont know

sadly very few things in life are ever as simple or black and white as we would like it

imagine a stupid young man in the UK - goes out Friday night after a hard weeks work - gets drunk - nips into the local park walking home - has a pee on a stutue - gets arrested - charged - criminal record - deported to Syria - a human version of hell - leaves a uk born family and kids behind - or even worse is told to take them with him
is that really what the Brexit hordes want - the UK is seriously screwed up - but a country without any compassion would be even worse

Last edited by carvoeiro; Apr 22nd 2017 at 10:24 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

is that really what the Brexit hordes want - the UK is seriously screwed up - but a country without any compassion would be even worse
In what way do you feel the UK is "seriously screwed up"
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

corrupt government - lies u-turns business partnerships - buddy laws - fiddling expenses - corrupting selection procedures etc etc
corrupt pocket lining tax avoiding big business
too many people
mix of races cultures that do not integrate
failing public services
too much spite and hatred - its now out of control
too much pointless control
rising costs - pretty much everything
cost of and deficiences in public transport
screwed benefits system
screwed pensions
division of england scotland ireland wales
screwed transport systems

all without mentioning Bre@it and i will probably think of many more before i press enter

corrupt and dangerous press
supermarkets controlling prices production agriculture - dropping quality standards etc
division caused by Br@it - for and against will have issues for generations
gov control of the BBC - pretty obvious in the last year
dangerous sheep mentality
too much tampering with education
no significant uk industries

workers funding lavish overpaid early retiring on full pension civil service - you really should look this up on the net - talk about us and them
new foreign investors leaving or cancelling UK projects
EU cancelling funding for and not including UK in projects - university - research - Science - medicine
ignorance - in reality education in the UK sucks - ive lived in 7 countries and every other country teaches - world view - politics - how goverments work and are structured - basic geography - people in the UK really do not understand the world we live in - aka bre@it - unelected eu etc - complete ignorant garbage that only the badly educated think - or are led to believe by the garbage press and lieing politicians

Last edited by carvoeiro; Apr 22nd 2017 at 4:04 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 4:41 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

corrupt government - lies u-turns business partnerships - buddy laws - fiddling expenses - corrupting selection procedures etc etc
too many people
failing public services
screwed benefits system
screwed pensions

all without mentioning Bre@it and i will probably think of many more before i press enter

supermarkets controlling prices production agriculture - dropping quality standards etc

workers funding lavish overpaid early retiring on full pension civil service - you really should look this up on the net - talk about us and them
EU cancelling funding for and not including UK in projects - university - research - Science - medicine
ignorance - in reality education in the UK sucks - ive lived in 7 countries and every other country teaches - world view - politics - how goverments work and are structured - basic geography - people in the UK really do not understand the world we live in - aka bre@it - unelected eu etc - complete ignorant garbage that only the badly educated think - or are led to believe by the garbage press and lieing politicians
So, you're not looking forward to moving back then?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macliam
So, you're not looking forward to moving back then?
I'm not sure the UK would want sure a pessimistic person
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Deep breath, count to 10, and ignore the negativity

Instead let's celebrate the sun and great value Vinho Tinto
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

no plans at all to go back
but it greatly saddens me
The UK is a beautiful country - the lakes and dales the flat beautiful skies of the east - the stunning coastlines of devon cornwall pembrokeshire - the outstanding beauty of North wales - the enchanting loveliness of the Scottish borders
the history and historic buildings - towns and cities
my favourite city in the world London
the museums and galleries
the great sports clubs - im a Leicester lad - Tigers County City - couldnt be better
Even having 4 distinct seasons and everything that goes with it
not to mention a lifetime of family and friends
and choice - here if i dont like - the shop - the garage - problem - in the UK theres probably always another 50 to choose from within 10 minutes - and i think the quality is much better here = especially food - but again nothing like the choice
but the people - the agression - the ignorance - the sheer hatred every time you drive anywhere - park anywhere - go anywhere
the poverty of service - especially in the NHS
strangely wha i miss the most is 'sense of humour' - impossible to replicate in a foreign language - foreign culture
no sadly no plans to return - and im not pessimistic - im angry at what theyve done to my home

Last edited by carvoeiro; Apr 22nd 2017 at 5:54 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

too many people
failing public services
screwed benefits system
screwed pensions

Sorry, but this sounds like the editorial policy of the Daily Mail and reflects a very jaundiced view of reality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.