Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

8th June 2017 UK General Election

8th June 2017 UK General Election

Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Question 8th June 2017 UK General Election

Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8th June 2017 UK General Election

That should be a hummer then
Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

What are people's views, does it make much difference to Ex-pats in PT, does it give Ex-pats any say in how they are treated during Brexit.

Would a stronger majority for the government mean a stronger negotiating position, or is it a land grab while the tide is out?

Remembering that whilst no view is wrong, it might not be commonly held by others.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 2:16 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I can see Ms May sipping her tea at breakfast, looking at Erdogan's triumph in Turkey, looking at reports of Labour's internal issues and thinking "Today's the day!"

Her majority is so small that any contentious issue could see it disappear - but victory against a wounded opponent would see her safe for another 5 years. It also dismisses the faint hope that someone manages to speak for those who do NOT agree with the way she's doing things and builds a possible rival faction.

Corbyn is relishing the election - calling on all his supporters to back him. Turkey, Christmas....... Diane Abbott is displaying her normal grasp on reality by declaring "This is an election to fight and win!" Labour MPs must be ringing up employment agencies as we speak.... a defeat might lance the boil of Labour disarray, but means a Tory government until 2022.

The LibDems can hardly do worse than last time, but also can't do well enough to chanhge the outcome. The SNP will relish another opportunity to flex their muscles and the Unionists in NI will hope to roll back their recent losses.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water............
Old Apr 18th 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reason she's done it now is (obviously) to get a stronger majority to push for more Brexit support & although we've seen recent unexpected results, I reckon she'll get what she wants if only because the other parties are all in disarray....... It'll be interesting to see how UKIP do (I suspect not well) in the election & what Corbyn does after the election if May gets what she's after.

Still the good news for us is that it'll keep Harry & Lady Ga Ga off the front page & the good news for Bliar is the story about his possible prosecution will be buried. (unfortunately)
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you cannot register because it has been over 15 years since you left the UK

Sums it up
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Sorry, you cannot register because it has been over 15 years since you left the UK

Sums it up
That is indeed the oft quoted line from the media but it's not strictly true.

When I queried it with my electoral officer I was told the rule is actually linked to when the expat in question last voted or registered to vote & I asked her to confirm that on 3 separate occasions which she did.

I haven't lived in the UK for nigh on 20 years but have always voted & within an hour of Mrs May making her announcement today, I had an email with my voter registration renewal in my inbox.

So assuming people have taken the precaution of voting or registering to vote in the past, they'd be well advised to check with their electoral officer asap.

If they haven't taken that precaution in the past then I'm afraid I have very little sympathy.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:54 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
the good news for Bliar is the story about his possible prosecution will be buried. (unfortunately)
I never understood why Blair, an arch-populist, would court public disapproval by going to war with Iraq. I can only think that he was actually taken in by the bad intelligence and by those around him who wanted war - which is no excuse - but it's far short of a war crime. No matter how hard you chase the "Blair war crimes" story, it just doesn't add up.

I'm also a bit tired of those who bang on about Blair's "guilt", yet voted Churchill the "Greatest Briton". This the man responsible for 500,000 casualties in Gallipoli for no gain whatsoever, the man who sent the Black and Tans into Ireland to terrorise the civilian population, the man who advocated the use of gas against the tribes in Iraq, the man who had British troops open fire on demonstrators in Athens, killing 28.... and much, much more. At least Blair did not do "deals" which sent thousands of men, women and children to certain death or handed a sovereign allied nation to its enemy.

But of course, he was a Tory (eventually)

Last edited by macliam; Apr 18th 2017 at 7:50 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it was the 'Greatest Briton as opposed to Britain but that aside, I reckon Bliar took Britain to war because he was Bush's lapdog......... but also that he had his eye on the main chance for himself.

If I had my way, he'd hang for treason, waging illegal war, genocide & several other crimes as well...... and he wouldn't be alone either because several others were equally guilty.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Hung for treason; i will second that!
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:03 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

....... It'll be interesting to see how UKIP do (I suspect not well) in the election...
Is it actually possible for them to do any worse than they've done in any previous GE?
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Is it actually possible for them to do any worse than they've done in any previous GE?
I was chatting the other day, and short of contacting their press office, we worked out their new direction over a pint. Simply put UKIP should stand for Proportional Representation. It would be a natural progression after bringing the power back to the British parliament, PR would bring the power back to the individual.

It won't get them elected, but at least they'd have a purpose....

Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had Farage still been in charge I think they'd have done quite well (relatively speaking) but without him, I doubt they'll get much at all.

As for PR or even AV, I'm all for it but the referendum on AV (unfortunately) rejected it.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Had Farage still been in charge I think they'd have done quite well (relatively speaking) but without him, I doubt they'll get much at all.
How many goes did he personally have at winning a seat at Westminster?
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
How many goes did he personally have at winning a seat at Westminster?
Good point but that was then...... this is now & as far as I'm aware, there's no restriction on how often one can stand.

As it is, I doubt they'll take a single seat with the new leader but with Farage in charge I think their chances would have been much better.

We've seen unexpected results recently & could do so again but despite that I think May is pretty much guaranteed to win a significantly larger majority than she has now which can only be good for Brexit negotiations & as that's already been voted on it can only be a good thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.