Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by Wayne270
Wondering if there are any ex RAF on this community that transfered to the RNZAF, either on their own or as part of the recruitment package?
Trying to get thoughts together on whether it would be a good move or otherwise. Like the thought of NZ and lifestyle but keep hearing bad things about wages, crime and attitude towards immigrants.
I have the choice of Canada as a civy, no guaranteed job but good prospects for one or RNZAF.
I am not worried about thoughts being good or bad, just want to hear thoughts from people who have already made the jump.
It is fast approaching decision time ( :scared: )and I need as much info/help as I can find.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Hello fellas, new to the site , recently been accepted and awaiting OOS, found ourselves in a similar situation to what i imagine many families are, now things are a little more definate , am i doing the right thing, my main concern being the drop in wages, i know i'm going for the money, its the lifestyle that attracts for me and my family but at the same time is it possible to survive and live on a wage which appears literaly half what i earn now as a Cpl in the UK Airforce, again any thoughts about this and any other aspect of NZ life greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rick and all, and welcome to the club Annbee,
I am still here, thanks for asking. I do pop my head in on a regular basis, but as my old pa told me, if you've got nothing useful to say - shut up! (OK he didn't but you've got the gist of it )
I still havn't heard anything from RNZAF but I have had an informal job offer from a Canadian helicopter company, they are looking over my resume (Can - speak for CV) and talking to people over there to see if it's viable to sponsor me. They also said just about anyone in aviation can get a job there at the moment - and I must say I am getting to like this civilian lifestyle a lot, not too sure I want to go back into having to say yessir to a young numpty who doesnt have the first idea what he's talking about . But we are waiting to see what happens - see where life takes us. Also heard that even with my full pension the money won't stretch very far but I was going to see what you guys have to say when you get there first.
Anyway, I still hope those moving soon all the best, and I will be here listening and chatting and looking in the post box. Hope you all do too.
Toodles.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by Wayne270
Hi Rick and all, and welcome to the club Annbee,
I am still here, thanks for asking. I do pop my head in on a regular basis, but as my old pa told me, if you've got nothing useful to say - shut up! (OK he didn't but you've got the gist of it )
I still havn't heard anything from RNZAF but I have had an informal job offer from a Canadian helicopter company, they are looking over my resume (Can - speak for CV) and talking to people over there to see if it's viable to sponsor me. They also said just about anyone in aviation can get a job there at the moment - and I must say I am getting to like this civilian lifestyle a lot, not too sure I want to go back into having to say yessir to a young numpty who doesnt have the first idea what he's talking about . But we are waiting to see what happens - see where life takes us. Also heard that even with my full pension the money won't stretch very far but I was going to see what you guys have to say when you get there first.
Anyway, I still hope those moving soon all the best, and I will be here listening and chatting and looking in the post box. Hope you all do too.
Toodles.
Wayne

Nice to hear from you again, and welcome Anne & Dean who are not far away from me in Lincoln, glad to see you have joined the forum and getting to know who is who. Im sure I have made the right decision now myself as had a meeting at work and guess what the good old management pop the big one !! "Down sizing" we have to look at the current situation in the current market and the cheaper option is to move the back office to India, costing us too much money so voluntary redundancies if your lucky and outsourcing to India is the option for our company to make more for our share holders....so I am glad I have took the sensible option for me anyway and got the 15 years from the RNZAF at least I will never have to worry about uncertantity anymore....hopefully. Good luck Wayne with your other option to Canada matey......will keep up with you on the thread...

Mick & Sherren
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough

Hi Mick & Sherran

Just a quickie have you had your CRBS back yet? and have you sent every thing off to London now?.
We are playing the waiting game again. Rick and i have been going through this for 2 yrs now and i think this wait is the worse.

Its strange to think our future lies in a strangers hands and there is nothing we can do now.

You will have to let us know where you are up to and if you hear anything from London.
We just want it finished now only 3 months to go and still the future seems unclear.

Still i hope the wait is worth it.

Any way please let us know if you hear anything.

Tracy & Rick
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rickg37
Hi Mick & Sherran

Just a quickie have you had your CRBS back yet? and have you sent every thing off to London now?.
We are playing the waiting game again. Rick and i have been going through this for 2 yrs now and i think this wait is the worse.

Its strange to think our future lies in a strangers hands and there is nothing we can do now.

You will have to let us know where you are up to and if you hear anything from London.
We just want it finished now only 3 months to go and still the future seems unclear.

Still i hope the wait is worth it.

Any way please let us know if you hear anything.

Tracy & Rick
Hi Rick & Tracy

We have checked out the letter they sent us from the Police and our 40 day period is up this Thursday so hopefully should hear this coming week for CRB's then hopefully the ITA can be sent in and will be like yourselves playing the waiting game. We are still 100% certain this is the right move for us long term and are happy with our decision as work here in UK has been so uncertain the last few months, we both hate going through all that long term stuff not knowing if the company will be downsizing this year or next year, so going back to uniform for me especially will be a welcoming career move long term for the future. We enjoyed times we had there the first time around and how many chances do you get in life to do it all again !! I'm sure there is still a lot of people out there with uncertainties but if you never try you will never know the outcome to your future's. We will keep you both posted in the next few days hopefully when we get the CRB's back.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Jonesey

I hope everything goes well with your CRBs and ITA and I hope you get back out there soon. We have just started the visa application and should be complete in the next couple of weeks or so. All being well we should still flying out at the end of August as planned!

Good luck
Wayne

Originally Posted by jonesey
Hi Rick & Tracy

We have checked out the letter they sent us from the Police and our 40 day period is up this Thursday so hopefully should hear this coming week for CRB's then hopefully the ITA can be sent in and will be like yourselves playing the waiting game. We are still 100% certain this is the right move for us long term and are happy with our decision as work here in UK has been so uncertain the last few months, we both hate going through all that long term stuff not knowing if the company will be downsizing this year or next year, so going back to uniform for me especially will be a welcoming career move long term for the future. We enjoyed times we had there the first time around and how many chances do you get in life to do it all again !! I'm sure there is still a lot of people out there with uncertainties but if you never try you will never know the outcome to your future's. We will keep you both posted in the next few days hopefully when we get the CRB's back.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Jonesey

I hope everything goes well with your CRBs and ITA and I hope you get back out there soon. We have just started the visa application and should be complete in the next couple of weeks or so. All being well we should still flying out at the end of August as planned!

Good luck
Wayne
Hi Wayne

Good to hear you will be out in NZ around August just in time to have a cool down from this heatwave in UK, Its a scorcher today and was again waiting for the postman to arrive around 11:00am but no joy, Oh well the 40 days is up tomorrow so it best be here getting a bit hacked off. Just want to get the ITA in and get the waiting over with so we can look forward to the visa in the passport, g ood luck with your Visa speak to you soon.

Mick & Sherren
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mick and Sherren

Tell me about the heatwave! I've been stuck in my office in a shirt and tie and the aircon is broken. Still better than snow blizzards I suppose. Not surprised you are getting hacked off. I've just spoken with Jane (my OH) and we were told to phone them if we hadn't heard back within three days of the the end of the 40-day period. I'd give them a call and get it moving. (We went through North Yorkshire Police but can't see it being different). Good luck for you too!

Wayne and Jane

Hi Wayne

Good to hear you will be out in NZ around August just in time to have a cool down from this heatwave in UK, Its a scorcher today and was again waiting for the postman to arrive around 11:00am but no joy, Oh well the 40 days is up tomorrow so it best be here getting a bit hacked off. Just want to get the ITA in and get the waiting over with so we can look forward to the visa in the passport, g ood luck with your Visa speak to you soon.

Mick & Sherren
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Hi Mick and Sherren

Tell me about the heatwave! I've been stuck in my office in a shirt and tie and the aircon is broken. Still better than snow blizzards I suppose. Not surprised you are getting hacked off. I've just spoken with Jane (my OH) and we were told to phone them if we hadn't heard back within three days of the the end of the 40-day period. I'd give them a call and get it moving. (We went through North Yorkshire Police but can't see it being different). Good luck for you too!

Wayne and Jane
Hi Wayne & Jane

One more day off work in glorious Sunshine and then back to the good old BT Data Centre for me in shirt and tie and decent air con I'm afraid to tell yer Wayne, would fancy doing the snow again myself at Mt Ruepeau had a brilliant time with my lad snowboarding and went back to being a kid all over again...... still I can stop dreaming for a while anyway... I gave Lincolnshire a ring today and no joy she told me the same if nothing in a few days she will chase it up for us.

Mick & Sherren
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the end of July is here and still nothing from THEM (as they are now known in our house). Also felt I'd better bring us back onto the front page of the forum - can't drop back to far.
I hope moves are going smoothly for those doing them and paperwork is progressing for the rest. Me? I went to a crab (no insult meant mate at St Mawgan and drunk loads of beer to celebrate.
But it also looks like we won't be taking them up on their offer (whatever it is!) as we are about to settle our eldest child into boarding school here.
Oh yeah - even though I'm a civy my company is about to send me to the Falklands for a few weeks! Get to live in the deathstar - wow! Still it's got to be better than '85 in the portacabins and fighting a force 9 gale to walk to Murray Heights to get to work.
Have fun y'alllllll.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wayne & Jane

One more day off work in glorious Sunshine and then back to the good old BT Data Centre for me in shirt and tie and decent air con I'm afraid to tell yer Wayne, would fancy doing the snow again myself at Mt Ruepeau had a brilliant time with my lad snowboarding and went back to being a kid all over again...... still I can stop dreaming for a while anyway... I gave Lincolnshire a ring today and no joy she told me the same if nothing in a few days she will chase it up for us.

Mick & Sherren
For those still in there and waiting for October to arrive, finally feel as though we have got to the final hurdle of our journey to the other side of the southern hemisphere. Our case officer finally sent the approval in principle today and now only a few weeks away from the BIG BLUE STICKERS. Now hopefully we can get the packers in and start packing some of our worthy goods for the journey south, How about any others ?? I believe there are "9" in total for this draft 02nd October 2006. Now they have changed my draft to Auckland so should be joining Wayne and Jane to Whenuapai and will see you down at NZIS building on the 02nd for the big signing........
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

For those still in there and waiting for October to arrive, finally feel as though we have got to the final hurdle of our journey to the other side of the southern hemisphere. Our case officer finally sent the approval in principle today and now only a few weeks away from the BIG BLUE STICKERS. Now hopefully we can get the packers in and start packing some of our worthy goods for the journey south, How about any others ?? I believe there are "9" in total for this draft 02nd October 2006. Now they have changed my draft to Auckland so should be joining Wayne and Jane to Whenuapai and will see you down at NZIS building on the 02nd for the big signing........
hi jonesy,

turned down New Zealand and told the other guy that I had recommended him for the job cos it was too short notice for me to go in October......blow me if they said he could go in April! They did not answer any of my emails, imagine how bad I felt and then I had to tell my wife.

I then emailed them to say that I was still interested if any jobs came up, blow me if they havent just offered me a job again. The wages will be even lower though as it is a Cpl post under the guy that I gave the job to! Anyway they said I could start in August 07, suppose my wife had just better get a decent job so we can make ends meet. The job at Tayside is interesting, but dead bodies can get you down. Still in the next year I can learn about crime scene management etc a la CSI and perhaps get a high powered jobby in the future.

Seems like you are sussed for going down under, take care, keep in touch

Bob
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robbish
hi jonesy,

turned down New Zealand and told the other guy that I had recommended him for the job cos it was too short notice for me to go in October......blow me if they said he could go in April! They did not answer any of my emails, imagine how bad I felt and then I had to tell my wife.

I then emailed them to say that I was still interested if any jobs came up, blow me if they havent just offered me a job again. The wages will be even lower though as it is a Cpl post under the guy that I gave the job to! Anyway they said I could start in August 07, suppose my wife had just better get a decent job so we can make ends meet. The job at Tayside is interesting, but dead bodies can get you down. Still in the next year I can learn about crime scene management etc a la CSI and perhaps get a high powered jobby in the future.

Seems like you are sussed for going down under, take care, keep in touch

Bob
Hi Bob

Could not believe your post, now they have offered you August 07 and Cpl rank I take it your gonna stay where you are then in Civvy street. I know its gonna be hard for us also as I came out as a Cpl and that's the rank I am going in as but hoping to jump into the third stripe quick time to boost the wages, missus is still looking with agency now to get a foot hold in the market for Customer Service so should not be too difficult as we are going to Auckland. Hopefully land a job in Farmers or Warehouse, Air New Zealand are advertising so will make her try for that. Good luck matey in whatever you decide to do, I am so gonna miss my footie over there !!! But hopefully the fishing and lifestyle will make up for the loss of my passion for football.

All the best Bob

Mick, Sherren, family

Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough

Hi All

Time to get us back on the front page I think

Good luck to Mick, Sherren and family and any others looking in ready to go in October,

Tracy and I have had to take a offer for March as thanks to a couple of problems we just wouldn't have made October with our sanity in place as removals where booked for the 20th of September but then had to move back as we still hadn't had approval from NZIS so we faced our furniture leaving about five days before our flight so took the decision to put it back to March. :scared:

So how about you Robbish have you thought anymore on taking the offer and hopefully we will pick up some new contributors going next year and some good info from the crowd going over for the southern summer

Rick & Tracy
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by rickg37
Hi All

Time to get us back on the front page I think

Good luck to Mick, Sherren and family and any others looking in ready to go in October,

Tracy and I have had to take a offer for March as thanks to a couple of problems we just wouldn't have made October with our sanity in place as removals where booked for the 20th of September but then had to move back as we still hadn't had approval from NZIS so we faced our furniture leaving about five days before our flight so took the decision to put it back to March. :scared:

So how about you Robbish have you thought anymore on taking the offer and hopefully we will pick up some new contributors going next year and some good info from the crowd going over for the southern summer

Rick & Tracy
Hi Rick and Tracy,

Have not made a decision yet, have to choose by early next month. My offer of service arrived in the post today, the last time it never actually arrived, it is now decision time! The weather is the deciding factor I think, as I am still liking living here in Scotland at the moment

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.