Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Old May 13th 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Rick Blimey some of you having to go by October that is a shock......

What trade are you going into by the way ? It would be nice for all of us to together before we all go out there and could get to know one another before hand we have all got lots to talk about and share our experiences. Hopefully should get to hear something soon. So i wonder how many have been confirmed with emails. ??

Mick
Old May 13th 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Rick we lived out in Devonport when we arrived it was the place everyone had heard of and there were some brits out there we got to know from base auckland and we settled down quite quickly, after the holiday moon period had gone which took us around 3 months to get out of our system. Around 10 minutes walking distance from the beach and had everything on the doorstep Newworld food shopping, Takapuna shopping centre, takeaways, dairies, and grammar schools and primary schools in walking distance. I used to catch the Devonport ferry which was 10 minute crossing to Auckland harbour to work.

Mick
Old May 13th 2006, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wayne it shouldn't be too long before we hear something !! I am really nervous about the date as everthing hinges on saving enough money and making sure we get around to seeing all family to say our goodbye's properly this time as it caused such a rift between us last time we did our move to NZ. How do you feel on the impending move over to kiwiland.....?????

Mick
Old May 13th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough

Mick I'm a supplier by trade and as I said offered a post to start the training 9th of October.

Also from your posts have you already been out to NZ to experience the lifestyle??
Old May 14th 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jonesey
Hi Rob

Looks as though most will get an email then, rather than the letter with OOS as they said at the interview, got a letter in the post like Wayne saying got through to the next stages but nothing yet. No email or further letter but as they say no news is good news hopefully......contemplating emailing Wellington and asking for confirmation by email as to what is going on anticipation is giving me too many sleeplesss nights.....did they give you any firm dates as to when you would be needed in NZ ??

Cheers
Mick

Hi Jonesey,

Yes, they said that I would be in London for enlistment on the 9th October and start induction in NZ on the 16th of October.......how soon is that!

Bob
Old May 14th 2006, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Just remembered something that is quite important.
If you are liable for reserve service ( and I think most people will be ) you must send a copy of your OOS from RNZAF to the reserve service desk at your head office. Sorry, don't know the RAF one - it's Kentigern House for army. They mention, in the RNZAF literature, that you must show no call up liability and that's how you get the letter from the MoD.
Hope this isn't lesson one in egg sucking but I thought any info is good info.
Old May 14th 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reminder Wayne just waiting for the paperwork to arrive to start getting everything underway I think after viewing the immigration website there must be an easier way to make a living
Old May 15th 2006, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi Bob

Hi Bob

Nice one !! how are you feeling now you have finally got your dates through, I believe from your ealier posts you off to Ohaeka, what trade group are you going into then ?? got kids ??

Mick
Old May 15th 2006, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rik

Nice to hear you too have your dates like Bob !! Still waiting I'm afraid with anticipation of where and when I'm gonna get my letter and where they will send us too. We initially went out 2004 and was offered a job in IT and based in Auckland but lived in Devonport and must say is the sought after place to live with it being close to the beach and has some nice cafe/wine bars most Auckland's tend to frequent Devonport at a weekend. We had really not envisaged returning back to the UK, but family circumstances led us to return and was a major upset for a lot of us as it took a great deal of financing on the outward journey and on our return. So being in with another great opportunity to return to my old trade in comms is our life line to return back the country that had adopted us and we got so used to being part of, but there are -/+ to any country and that includes NZ but you overcome those easily being ex forces.

Hope all goes well for you and we all will no doubt keep the thread going.

Mick
Old May 15th 2006, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had another thought - typical, just shut the computer down when - ping!
Has anybody talked or known anybody that went over in the last recruitment selection? I know we are all looking for something different and the DVD was very impressive with good ex RAF interviews but the cynic in me wonders what it is REALLY like? Warts and all, I would rather hear someones thoughts outside the recruitment chain than the party line. Too long being told "the truth" by my military bosses and the government (b liar).
OK - thats that off my mind now, computer shutdown in 5, 4, 3 .....
Old May 15th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi Bob

Hi Bob

Nice one !! how are you feeling now you have finally got your dates through, I believe from your ealier posts you off to Ohaeka, what trade group are you going into then ?? got kids ??

Mick
Not sure Mick, I have a wonderful life here and I initially thought that if I got a poorly paid job when I left the RAF then this would be a good job to go for. However, when I went for the interview in Swindon, I was phoned up to be told that I had got the job I presently have. So, the goalposts have moved. I have been offered the training FS job for the Photo Branch at Ohakea. Sounds good, but is a £7000 pay cut at least from the Senior Photographer Job at Tayside Police. (Incidentally, got some great pics at the Radio one Big weekend in Dundee yesterday if anyone's interested!)

Yeh, so I am in a dilemma. Still, the weather is a massive draw. We have a lovely garden here, but can only really enjoy it properly for 4 months max as opposed to 9+ in NZ.

I can't be as cynical about (B)liars government as others, I still remember 15% interest rates and a government who were no more Forces friendly......at least Blair keeps the armed forces busy ha ha ha!

Enough of politics, I must make a decision soon, because I do not want to let down the other bloke that went for the job. He is desperate to go, he has no property because he always live in a married Quarter and has 3 kids.

Anyway, must get away and put my son to bed, I ll get back on line in a bit.

Hope this waffle makes sense, cos I have just read it back and it is awful,

Take care mate,

Bob
Old May 17th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi Bob

Any thoughts about what you gonna do with the job offer ? myself still waiting for my OOS email or letter which ever it may be, after 2 years nearly back in the UK and it taking nearly a year to get this far with recruitment, nothing is gonna stop us returning to NZ knowing what we had left behind and come back to a lifeless UK with an ever growing population growth. Immigrants are a joke where is the future for my kids when they start leaving school, with other EU countries not many moons away from entering the UK on handouts it goes on and on....

Having returned on a decent salary,more goes out by the month in Gas/Electric Council Taxes, Petrol etc etc....its just so hard to justify not taking the OOS to what i had out there on the North Shore, but i can well understand your dilema as you have a good job and home too. Im still trying to get back on the market after 2 years of renting here in Lincolnshire.

Cheers

Mick
Old May 17th 2006, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi Bob

Any thoughts about what you gonna do with the job offer ? myself still waiting for my OOS email or letter which ever it may be, after 2 years nearly back in the UK and it taking nearly a year to get this far with recruitment, nothing is gonna stop us returning to NZ knowing what we had left behind and come back to a lifeless UK with an ever growing population growth. Immigrants are a joke where is the future for my kids when they start leaving school, with other EU countries not many moons away from entering the UK on handouts it goes on and on....

Having returned on a decent salary,more goes out by the month in Gas/Electric Council Taxes, Petrol etc etc....its just so hard to justify not taking the OOS to what i had out there on the North Shore, but i can well understand your dilema as you have a good job and home too. Im still trying to get back on the market after 2 years of renting here in Lincolnshire.

Cheers

Mick
Hi again Mick,

I have had a wierd few days here. My wife and I had a row and for some reason we decided that we would stay here.

I had to work at the Radio one Big Weekend in Dundee on Sunday (Bummer.....not!) and whilst there, I got a phone call from my wife saying, lets go for it, lets go to NZ! Make a fresh start. So I am wanting to go at the moment, but I wish that they would get a grip and send me my OOS, because I am starting to seriously like my job here!

Have you checked the state of the NZ dollar recently? When I started on the RNZAF thing my wage was equiv to £21000, today it is worth £15800!!! Still, it means I can get a place for about $520000.........which is nice.

Bob
Old May 17th 2006, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bob

Cheers

Mick
sorry mate, I have only just realised that I have gone on about the radio one thing last time, must have alzheimers!!!!!!!!

bob :scared: l
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Just some more info got the official offer of service this morning by email to be followed up by post and now it really is rush rush, furniture expected to go by the middle of August :scared: EOI completed and submitted this morning medical and xrays booked and waiting for the police forms so money draining from the bank account but receipts being stashed safely for October hope the rest of you got what you are waiting for

Regards

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.