Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by ann m
Thank you - I'll think on it - but I somehow do not think our bacon consumption will justify this. My fingers might think otherwise!

I've been looking for cooking apples for weeks now with no luck. There is so much lovely red cabbage on the shelves that I need some soon? What would you use - just normal eating apples (but the sharp ones)? Or do Bramleys exist here and I just haven't found them yet?
I've bought some granny smiths to make a crumble with this weekend, i figured they were the tartest available I'll let you know how it turned out.
Jo xx
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
can you get pataks curry paste?
Originally Posted by iaink
Yes, its about $6 a jar. "Curry Expert" software is a lot less than that, and produces a tastier end product too. It comes up on ebay from time to time, or I can give anyone who asks the guys email address.

I bought a Jar of PC Tikka Masala sauce and whilst not at all restaraunt quality it was on par with a Tescos jar of the same. With the PC Naan breads as well it was a really good "homemade" Indian.
Jo xx
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the local supermarket today,( Overwaitea, great name eh) asked for gravy granules. Met with blank stares. When I explained two or three spoonfuls in a jug and add hot water et voila gravy, the elderly lady behind us said that if we could get some then she wanted the first case!!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inse
Went to the local supermarket today,( Overwaitea, great name eh) asked for gravy granules. Met with blank stares.
Just plain not available in Canadian stores.

Can be bought at some British Shops (at least in Calgary) for a ridiculous price. $14.00 for a 500 gram container.

Bisto gravy powder is available at most grocery stores though.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:08 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Just plain not available in Canadian stores.

Can be bought at some British Shops (at least in Calgary) for a ridiculous price. $14.00 for a 500 gram container.

Bisto gravy powder is available at most grocery stores though.
Yes they are Bisto gravy granuals Thrifty's have them on the island
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

could not find Yorkshire Budding + gravy granules anywhere in Vancouver
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Went to the local supermarket today,( Overwaitea, great name eh) asked for gravy granules. Met with blank stares. When I explained two or three spoonfuls in a jug and add hot water et voila gravy, the elderly lady behind us said that if we could get some then she wanted the first case!!
They sell bisto instant (chicken and beef) in my local "no frills" next to all the other Gravy, Poutine and Jus concoctions. They also have yorkshire pud mix in the british ethnic sevtion next to the ginger marmelade, ambrosia rice pudding and pataks popadums
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:06 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sans
Yes they are Bisto gravy granuals Thrifty's have them on the island

I guess that would be good news.

How much do they want for them?

I'll have to get some next time we are out there.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think they're 3.99 in Zehrs (Loblaws). it's very regional, I couldn't find any granules in Winnipeg in regular supermarkets.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:06 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I guess that would be good news.

How much do they want for them?

I'll have to get some next time we are out there.
My Aunt lived in Red Deer up until recently and she said you could buy it their.
Sorry my tub not got price on
found lots of bits and bobs between the 3 main food shops here. colemans mixes, mint sauce, daddies brown sauce, branstan pickle, salad cream thats my favourite. Patak's , sherwoods curry sauces and they are now introducing Uncle Bens Microwave rices altho they are not quite the same as in the Uk.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Aunt lived in Red Deer up until recently and she said you could buy it their.
Sorry my tub not got price on
found lots of bits and bobs between the 3 main food shops here. colemans mixes, mint sauce, daddies brown sauce, branstan pickle, salad cream thats my favourite. Patak's , sherwoods curry sauces and they are now introducing Uncle Bens Microwave rices altho they are not quite the same as in the Uk.

Can you ask her where she got it from as I'm still getting mine sent by post. Haven't seen it at all in the shops around here. My friend also gets hers sent by post.

Mind you if we found everything we needed the rellies wouldn't have anything to send, at least they feel as though they're doing somehting useful.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody used those gravy/Yorkshire pudding pouches instead?

http://www.clubhouse-canada.com/prod...l.cfm?ID=10356
http://www.clubhouse-canada.com/prod...l.cfm?ID=10378

They seem to be in every supermarket I've been to.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:33 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Can you ask her where she got it from as I'm still getting mine sent by post. Haven't seen it at all in the shops around here. My friend also gets hers sent by post.

Mind you if we found everything we needed the rellies wouldn't have anything to send, at least they feel as though they're doing somehting useful.
Will ask her as soon as i can, she is in transit at the moment She was in the Uk, but got a phone call from Canada her son who is in his fifties has been fighting cancer and took a turn for the worst, so she jumped on a plane and headed back to Alberta, but arrived to late ( Unfortunately ) and is on her way back to the UK, for afew wks. So will ask her when i know exactly where she is.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:36 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
We get whole chickens in Kelowna - but not cheap - and they offer frying and roasting options - what's the difference(don't say one you fry, one you roast)! How do you breed chickens one of which is best for frying (how do you fry a whole chicken?) and one that is ideal as a roaster??

I'd like to find Galaxy chocolate......hmnnnn, having a Homer Simpson moment. Galaxy. Hmn....
as I type, I am slowly savouring the very last piece of a 1kg bar of Galaxy! Just thought I would share that with you Mkm!
x
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:37 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Will ask her as soon as i can, she is in transit at the moment She was in the Uk, but got a phone call from Canada her son who is in his fifties has been fighting cancer and took a turn for the worst, so she jumped on a plane and headed back to Alberta, but arrived to late ( Unfortunately ) and is on her way back to the UK, for afew wks. So will ask her when i know exactly where she is.
Sorry to hear your news - my request is not the most important thing in the world so don't worry about it. Your Aunt has m ore than enough on her mind at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.