Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointless English

I thought a bit too fast up above.

Impractical and drastic of course to ban dubbing totally (though I of course meant with subtitles 37100) - I suppose I meant that it would be desirable that more serious stuff was subtitled and not dubbed, including imported TV drama. After all if the Brits can watch Montalbano with the original soundtrack, why can't Italians watch their imported Brit stuff with subtitles? I can imagine how many Italians would roll about/snigger/sneer if they heard Montalbano walking along his nice beach talking broad Yorkshire as if he were in Scarborough.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:22 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider

Impractical and drastic of course to ban dubbing totally (though I of course meant with subtitles 37100) - I suppose I meant that it would be desirable that more serious stuff was subtitled and not dubbed, including imported TV drama. After all if the Brits can watch Montalbano with the original soundtrack, why can't Italians watch their imported Brit stuff with subtitles? I can imagine how many Italians would roll about/snigger/sneer if they heard Montalbano walking along his nice beach talking broad Yorkshire as if he were in Scarborough.
You are forgetting that a lot of people over 60 have a limited reading capability and just wouldn't be able to keep up with subtitles.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Much imported stuff can now be viewed with original soundtrack if you so wish. Not old Stanlio and Ollio films though. Nearly all excellently dubbed by old Alberto Sordi.My no.1 son gets me though.If I speak to him in English, which I usually do, have to listen very carefully to get round his Irish accent, and if it gets too much revert to Italian.😀The only Yorkshire born Gaelic speaking Italian west of Dublin!
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Much imported stuff can now be viewed with original soundtrack if you so wish.
Is that on normal terrestrial tv ononno? I have fiddled with the modern tv in italy which my partner has and never managed anything.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine how many Italians would roll about/snigger/sneer if they heard Montalbano walking along his nice beach talking broad Yorkshire as if he were in Scarborough.

True!!! :-))

I am for subtitles in English (and in Italian for those who don't know English). We usually watch movies in English with English subtitles. Yesterday we watched "Billy Elliot" without subtitles and I could not understand the miners with this Newcastle accent.

In my university years i spent a period of time in Israel. I usually went to see movies to the cinema as they were in the original language with hebrew and arabic subtitles. Meaning that 99% were in English. Once I went to see "the red lanterns" with a friend, for discovering that it was in....chinese with hebrew/arabic subtitles!!! :-)
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by primularossa
..... I am for subtitles in English (and in Italian for those who don't know English). We usually watch movies in English with English subtitles. Yesterday we watched "Billy Elliot" without subtitles and I could not understand the miners with this Newcastle accent.

In my university years i spent a period of time in Israel. I usually went to see movies to the cinema as they were in the original language with hebrew and arabic subtitles. Meaning that 99% were in English. Once I went to see "the red lanterns" with a friend, for discovering that it was in....chinese with hebrew/arabic subtitles!!! :-)
I believe it is typical for most smaller countries (and I would guess poorer countries too) to subtitle imported TV programs and films, presumably for cost reasons. I used to watch TV sometimes when I visited the Netherlands, and much of their programming was imported from the UK or the US, with Dutch subtitles.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe it is typical for most smaller countries (and I would guess poorer countries too) to subtitle imported TV programs and films, presumably for cost reasons. I used to watch TV sometimes when I visited the Netherlands, and much of their programming was imported from the UK or the US, with Dutch subtitles.
Yes this is the case. In israel many books in English are not translated into Hebrew as the market is too restricted. Same with movies. The consequence is that many many people know English.

Actually Israeli know normally at least 3-4 languages: Hebrew, English, and one or more of these: Arabic, Yiddish, one or two languages from the parent's families (Russian, Polish, Rumanian, Spanish and so on) and a second language rearned at school for those who attended grammar school or similar!!
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Is that on normal terrestrial tv ononno? I have fiddled with the modern tv in italy which my partner has and never managed anything.
Yes, on a Samsung TV set about 4/5 years old. You need to go into the menu settings and set preferred audio language to English. Of course if your partner prefers soundtrack in Italian, then you need to switch back again. All mediaset channels and RAI movie.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Feb 20th 2015, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah, so only those channels ononno? Ie: not the three main RAI channels?
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

assuming they can distinguish accents, which they can't in general. They might find the accent difficult or impossible to understand (as many students of English do with American accents), but to be good enough in the language to be able to laugh at a character speaking broad Yorkshire? Doubt it.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britaly00
..... but to be good enough in the language to be able to laugh at a character speaking broad Yorkshire? Doubt it.
I certainly struggle to understand some broad Yorkshire accents, ..... and I'm from Sheffield!
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Didn't quite mean it that literally britaly but they would doubtless find it odd that Montalbano was speaking with odd vowel sounds that didn't correspond to the rather more "perfect" english (complete with oddities such as "cl-u-u-ub") they will have learned. Have been watching a number of italian flics of late at the italian cultural institute in london which are of course subtitled. I still have go establish whether this interesting looking film will be

Last edited by sunnysider; Feb 20th 2015 at 5:51 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

I should get some students watching Aufweidersehen Pet every lesson; have 'em speaking with Geordie accents before you can say stottie cake
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Italian anger over English-language slogans used to promote Rome and country’s navy - Telegraph

not a popular choice , one we'd already seen on here too
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Quote: Ignazio Marino, the city’s mayor, said: “It’s the recognition of the fact that for 3,000 years Rome has been known as 'Caput mundi’ [capital of the world]. Rome is Rome and it doesn’t need any other adjectives or nouns.”

..but he just called it Caput Mundi!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.