Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:54 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Hi

Originally Posted by OttawaBound
Hopefully someone can help me with a PRR detail.

My kids were on my application, but they are not going to Canada with me. I received my COPR a little while ago, but they haven't received anything.

Should they have received a COPR at this stage, or do they get it when I actually enter Canada with mine? Or is there some other arrangement?

Many thanks
1. How were they shown on the application?
2. If they were shown as non accompanying, then they will NOT be getting a COPR as they are not emigrating.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Queen_E
I thought I'd give feedback, since my husband waited out his COPR as a visitor in Toronto (and during one of the worst winters on record, hello ice storm!)

For us, it worked out fine because he's a web developer and was able to use the time to work on a personal project and learn some new coding. Now he has a more impressive portfolio for the job hunt. Without that though, he would have found it a lot more difficult to be out of work.

Also, the salaries in our fields and rent are so different compared to London that we've been better off living on one salary in Toronto than when we both worked in the UK! We don't have children though.

Overall, I think it depends on how your salaries/cost of living balance out in Canada vs the UK, and if there's something your husband can busy himself with while he waits. At least the weather is nice now, so he won't be stuck inside!
Thanks so much for that Queen_E That's really interesting to hear because we also though it would be a good time for him to get better with band photography (which he's been trying to get more off) and work on his French! Because we would be at my parents it would be a lot easier financially to start with.

Lets do it! (although I might change my mind in 5 mins!)
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becki567
Hiya,

To be clear my husband was here on an IEC visa twice. He had a 6 week gap where he stayed as a visitor after his first IEC expired and then a month after his second IEC visa expired we received the COPR. So, to be fair, he was never out of work for months and months like some people.

If it had turned out to be months and months he would have still stayed here. I'd have missed him terribly if he left and it actually gave us some time to go around the province of Alberta and do things that we never had a chance before to do.

It all depends financially what you can afford to do. I am a full time student so I have no income but we have savings and we would have been okay financially if he was off work for a longer period time. However, I realize not everyone can financially swing it.

If your concern is crossing the border, I too was worried about that. We travelled to Las Vegas twice, Hawaii, Disneyland and London without issue. Border Agents, in my experience, have never been particularly friendly or smiley but we have never had an issue. In fact, landing with his COPR was the worst experience we've had but that was just because of a cranky old lady border agent.
Thanks Becki We are selling our house in England so that would give us a good cushion but obviously we would like to keep most of it to buy a house in Canada. He will have to go out of Canada every 3 months to stay in the limit of times for his travel insurance. My husband is totally up for moving now but I'm just worried he might get fed up staying with his in-laws! Anybody got a crystal ball I can borrow?!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Becki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evelyned
Thanks Becki We are selling our house in England so that would give us a good cushion but obviously we would like to keep most of it to buy a house in Canada. He will have to go out of Canada every 3 months to stay in the limit of times for his travel insurance. My husband is totally up for moving now but I'm just worried he might get fed up staying with his in-laws! Anybody got a crystal ball I can borrow?!
Haha! Well, in my opinion, staying with someone for extended periods of time can lead to issues. I never feel truly at home in someone else's home. When the hubby was off work he joined a few different leagues. He played recreational basketball and pool. This allowed him to meet some people, and get out of the house. He also took a forklift driving course.

I think those that sit at home and don't do much but think about how long the application is taking are the ones that find it the toughest. Even without spending money this is tons of stuff to do. Google - "Free things in (your city)" and get out of the house and experience the area like you might not be able to do once real life settles in and you both are working
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:13 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evelyned
You can do things to help get yourself settled. You can start speaking to a real estate agent to start looking at houses, learning the area, working out what you want and don't want, etc, just tell your agent your circumstances and most will be cool with that. (If you're in west GTA I can recommend one!)

Also, as the Canadian, you can start switching all your stuff over to Canadian - drivers license, etc - and then you can do things like looking into buying a car, and going to at least speak to a mortgage broker and working out what will be realistic (in terms of down payment, etc).

Doing those sorts of things will help you guys feel like you're getting settled and working towards something instead of just floating and waiting. We did this when I was in Canada but waiting for my British citizenship, so we could at least feel like we were getting settled. (In fact, the car we bought is only in Husband's name because he was the only one with a Canadian drivers license... and this has still not been fixed! )

As for living with the in-laws, which Husband has been doing since September and we will together be doing until November when we close on our house (!), it really just depends on your relationship with the in-laws, and the space your in-laws have. My parents live in a big house, so there's never any feeling of anyone stepping on each other's toes or anything. As it happened, my younger adult brother (mid-20s) also moved back home, so there are 5 adults at home right now. It's pretty special. However, we all get along well. We all have our own schedules, the extent of anyone "checking in" on anyone else is just an email in the afternoon saying who is or is not around for dinner so whoever is cooking (usually me) knows how much to make. Otherwise we all have our own lives and schedules, and cohabit pretty harmoniously. It just depends on the relationship, I think.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
You can do things to help get yourself settled. You can start speaking to a real estate agent to start looking at houses, learning the area, working out what you want and don't want, etc, just tell your agent your circumstances and most will be cool with that. (If you're in west GTA I can recommend one!)

Also, as the Canadian, you can start switching all your stuff over to Canadian - drivers license, etc - and then you can do things like looking into buying a car, and going to at least speak to a mortgage broker and working out what will be realistic (in terms of down payment, etc).

Doing those sorts of things will help you guys feel like you're getting settled and working towards something instead of just floating and waiting. We did this when I was in Canada but waiting for my British citizenship, so we could at least feel like we were getting settled. (In fact, the car we bought is only in Husband's name because he was the only one with a Canadian drivers license... and this has still not been fixed! )

As for living with the in-laws, which Husband has been doing since September and we will together be doing until November when we close on our house (!), it really just depends on your relationship with the in-laws, and the space your in-laws have. My parents live in a big house, so there's never any feeling of anyone stepping on each other's toes or anything. As it happened, my younger adult brother (mid-20s) also moved back home, so there are 5 adults at home right now. It's pretty special. However, we all get along well. We all have our own schedules, the extent of anyone "checking in" on anyone else is just an email in the afternoon saying who is or is not around for dinner so whoever is cooking (usually me) knows how much to make. Otherwise we all have our own lives and schedules, and cohabit pretty harmoniously. It just depends on the relationship, I think.
I've actually been looking online today if husband could open bank account and if there was any chance we could get a mortgage without him being a citizen and it all sounded pretty ok. We are planning on moving near Montreal where all my family lives and they even got a car waiting for me.

By the way I meant to ask, is there any chance CIC approve us but Quebec doesn't??

My parents are really easy going and we would have all the basement to ourselves so space would be ok I think. I go back home every summer for 6 weeks and we all love it but they know when we are leaving.
But, my dad is a keen amateur photographer and I can just image him boring my husband with all sorts of stuff, haha!

Thanks again, I think it's put my mind at ease to see it's been a good experience for others

Last edited by evelyned; Jun 2nd 2014 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

in the bay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Here's the link: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiri...mission=london

Send an email now, and if it hasn't changed in 2ish weeks then send a follow-up.
Thanks for your help with that. I've sent an email so hopefully my address will get changed over now
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow is 6 weeks since I landed, and as I was told my PR card would take 4-6 weeks I was thinking about giving CIC a call.. but then I went online and saw that new PR's are now taking 3 months (92 days) to process!?

The waiting game never truely ends does it.. haha
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:19 pm
mec
Forum Regular

mec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by burks
Tomorrow is 6 weeks since I landed, and as I was told my PR card would take 4-6 weeks I was thinking about giving CIC a call.. but then I went online and saw that new PR's are now taking 3 months (92 days) to process!?

The waiting game never truely ends does it.. haha
Hmmm.... could one say book a refundable flight, send the receipt requesting urgent processing, then cancel the booking?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp

I'm a long way off applying for a PR card so not going to try this myself (yet)... just curious!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mec
Hmmm.... could one say book a refundable flight, send the receipt requesting urgent processing, then cancel the booking?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp

I'm a long way off applying for a PR card so not going to try this myself (yet)... just curious!
No, I believe that is only for PR card renewal.

@ the OP - it's never taken less than 6 weeks, to my knowledge, and most people have waited 8 for theirs, so an extra 4 weeks isn't too bad.

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:36 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Husband's took 8 weeks, and that was with landing in Dec 2012.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. fingers crossed it is closer to 8 weeks than 3 months then!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Applicant7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, and thought I'd finally introduce myself.

I'm a Canadian citizen (though I hold dual British citizenship) and am sponsoring my British common-law spouse (born in the Netherlands and lived in several different countries). Currently we are living in Germany, though we planning on traveling for a while when my teaching contract is up. We've been active member on the Canadian visa forum for a while (so our info is up on the google doc) but thought I'd finally say hi here. Hi!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:04 pm
Concierge

!

I see you there on the spreadsheet - welcome to the waiting game!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

smithyutd is an unknown quantity at this point

Possible foolish question ahead..

I have obtained a document from Korean immigration which details my SO and my address for the 5 years that we have spent in this country. One of those years shows that we both lived at the same address in Seoul, and three others show that we lived at the same address in Bucheon. Along with a copy of our contracts that show that we have housing provided by our employer, utility bills addressed to us both at one of those addresses, and statements from family members and friends that they have visited us at both of those addresses, we hope that we have enough information to prove our situation.

My question pertains to the translation of the afore mentioned immigration document. It is in Korean, and I understand that I must get it translated by an official translator. This I did with my Korean criminal background check. However, it is the wording of this section that bothers me:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.
Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

Certified copies

You must send certified copies of any document that is not in English or French.

To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
the name of the original document
the date of the certification
his or her name
his or her official position or title and
his or her signature
Important information. The person who certifies your photocopies cannot be a family member. Copies must be certified in Canada.
It says that I must provide a certified copy and that copy must be certified in Canada. Surely not. I didn't do that when I sent my criminal record check. My criminal record check was stamped by a Notary Public and sworn to that 'the attached translation is true to the original'.

Do I really have to get the document translated in Korea, send the original document to somebody in Canada, have it copied and certified by a notary in Canada, and then forwarded on to London?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.