Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by CannuckHeadingHome
Whoohoo !

My OH got his passport request in the post today. It was actually dated 18-October so it almost exactly 2 months since my sponsorship was approved.

It's exciting but also a bit scary. Lots to do and no excuses any more. Still, a great landmark and so a nice bottle of wine is in order !

Good luck to anyone still waiting and thanks to everyone on this site who has contributed to help folks like us get through the process.
Congratulations! That's wonderfully quick. Three cheers for the London office! After you've been through the PR process, I'm guessing everything--including the move--will seem quite uncomplicated by comparison.

Of course, now I'm concerned about our own timeline. My sponsorship was approved on 30th September, so with the same timescale, that means we could expect PPR around 30th November and have 45 days from then to submit it. Wouldn't be a problem except my partner (the British one) has already booked tickets to go home for Christmas! Could be a bit of a rushed timeline for us . . . hope he doesn't have to miss his holiday going home.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

CannuckHeadingHome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aperture
Congratulations! That's wonderfully quick. Three cheers for the London office! After you've been through the PR process, I'm guessing everything--including the move--will seem quite uncomplicated by comparison.

Of course, now I'm concerned about our own timeline. My sponsorship was approved on 30th September, so with the same timescale, that means we could expect PPR around 30th November and have 45 days from then to submit it. Wouldn't be a problem except my partner (the British one) has already booked tickets to go home for Christmas! Could be a bit of a rushed timeline for us . . . hope he doesn't have to miss his holiday going home.
Thanks Aperture. Yes, it's nice and quick so now I need to find all those lists I made and get going on all the things to do !

As for your application - I am not sure where your OH will be in the UK, but I have seen that if you take the passport to London, you can go back and pick it up 2 weeks later. We will not be doing this so I have not investigated that option but it might be worth considering if your OH will be somewhere near London. Otherwise, if you do get approved at the end of Nov, then 45 days should take him into Jan so perhaps a courier would still get there in time if he is back in Canada ?

Anyway, good luck either way.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Aperture. Yes, it's nice and quick so now I need to find all those lists I made and get going on all the things to do !

As for your application - I am not sure where your OH will be in the UK, but I have seen that if you take the passport to London, you can go back and pick it up 2 weeks later. We will not be doing this so I have not investigated that option but it might be worth considering if your OH will be somewhere near London. Otherwise, if you do get approved at the end of Nov, then 45 days should take him into Jan so perhaps a courier would still get there in time if he is back in Canada ?

Anyway, good luck either way.
Thanks. My partner and I currently live in Canada together (he's waiting around on a visitor visa). He will be visiting Edinburgh in December for only a week, so it's unfortunately too far and too tight a timeline for him to go down to London twice.

We have international (read: passport-requiring) travel plans again at the end of February, so as long as he submits his passport the moment he returns to Canada at the end of December, we're hoping that means he'll have it back by the end of February. (It takes 4-6 weeks, right?)

Anyway, apologies for turning your good news into my very own timeline issues. Congrats again!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. My partner and I currently live in Canada together (he's waiting around on a visitor visa). He will be visiting Edinburgh in December for only a week, so it's unfortunately too far and too tight a timeline for him to go down to London twice.

We have international (read: passport-requiring) travel plans again at the end of February, so as long as he submits his passport the moment he returns to Canada at the end of December, we're hoping that means he'll have it back by the end of February. (It takes 4-6 weeks, right?)

Anyway, apologies for turning your good news into my very own timeline issues. Congrats again!
Ah, the international jetsetting lifestyle - I remember it well ! I hope the travel is for fun. My fingers are crossed with you that the timing goes well.

No problem hijacking the thread - that's what is great about this forum Lots of folks going through the same thing and everyone seems happy to help.

We are into the champs and red wine as a celebration so don't mind if the spelling is not too good

cheerio
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:12 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

It takes 4-6 weeks, right?
It took my OH who lives with me in Canada 7 weeks to receive his passport back from the day he sent it to the day we received it back in the mail. So I would allow up to 8 weeks in your timeline just to be safe.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alexisatk
It took my OH who lives with me in Canada 7 weeks to receive his passport back from the day he sent it to the day we received it back in the mail. So I would allow up to 8 weeks in your timeline just to be safe.
Wow, that must have been a very anxious wait! I'm glad you're safe and landed now. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Fidget is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow an update on ecas today to say medical received!!! Sponsor (wife) was approved on 20th September sothongd are moving!!!! How long usually after for next status and what will it be?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:38 am
Aberdeen to Vancouver

RandomlyGenerated is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, now I'm worried! Just received an email from the CIC saying:
Subject: File: [file number] [my name]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:55:32 +0100
To: [my email address]

Dear [my name],

This e-mail is regarding your application for permanent residence.

Please be advised that your passport was returned to our office marked "Not called for".

Please provide your correct mailing address for return of your passport.

Yours sincerely,
ACD
Immigration and Medical Services Division | Direction de l'immigration et des services médicaux
Canadian High Commission | Haut-commissariat du Canada
38 Grosvenor Street
London, W1K 4AA | Londres, W1K 4AA
United Kingdom | Royaume-Uni
I've searched online for what "not called for" means, but I can only find stuff about applicants not being called for an interview - nothing about passports. I've sent them an email, but now I'm totally stressing out about what I've done wrong.

Has anyone had this email before?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Well, life is funny... you wait for ages for a passport request to come along and then you get 2 in close succession !!!

We got my OH's passport request in Friday's post but then today, another one has arrived !

The first letter was dated 18-Oct and the second 21-Oct. This first envelope was handwritten while the second had a typed address label. Both letters had the same file number but the second copy seemed much newer (format and print/copy quality). Only significant difference in content was that the first allowed 45 days to submit passport while the second letter says we have 60. Address label for PHEP with the second letter included a red maple leaf and finally, the second letter's Updated Information Chart includes height and eye colour.

First form had a reference code of P153(11/08) while the second showed P152(05/08) - bottom of last page. Funny thing is that I suppose that these references suggest that the first letter was the newer one ???

However, I am guessing that the first one was sent in error and so we will follow the second letter, dated 21-Oct.

Has anyone else seen these 2 different versions ? If you have received your passport request recently, which form did you get ?

We are off to get pictures taken tomorrow (application pics were done on gloss and these need to be matte) and then will send them off later this week so fingers crossed that all will go well.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Well, life is funny... you wait for ages for a passport request to come along and then you get 2 in close succession !!!

We got my OH's passport request in Friday's post but then today, another one has arrived !

The first letter was dated 18-Oct and the second 21-Oct. This first envelope was handwritten while the second had a typed address label. Both letters had the same file number but the second copy seemed much newer (format and print/copy quality). Only significant difference in content was that the first allowed 45 days to submit passport while the second letter says we have 60. Address label for PHEP with the second letter included a red maple leaf and finally, the second letter's Updated Information Chart includes height and eye colour.

First form had a reference code of P153(11/08) while the second showed P152(05/08) - bottom of last page. Funny thing is that I suppose that these references suggest that the first letter was the newer one ???

However, I am guessing that the first one was sent in error and so we will follow the second letter, dated 21-Oct.

Has anyone else seen these 2 different versions ? If you have received your passport request recently, which form did you get ?

We are off to get pictures taken tomorrow (application pics were done on gloss and these need to be matte) and then will send them off later this week so fingers crossed that all will go well.
Hi Congrats on getting passport requests!!

My status changed yesterday to Medical recieved. How long between medical recieved and getting passport request?

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fidget

My status changed yesterday to Medical recieved. How long between medical recieved and getting passport request?

Thanks
Hi Fidget,

My OH's ECAS has still not changed and I hear that it is very inconsistent. However, I can report that it was almost exactly 2 months from the approval of my sponsorship from CPC-M until the passport request arrived.

Of course, it has taken longer for some but if you estimate 2 months as a minimum, then hopefully you only have another month or so to wait. Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fidget,

My OH's ECAS has still not changed and I hear that it is very inconsistent. However, I can report that it was almost exactly 2 months from the approval of my sponsorship from CPC-M until the passport request arrived.

Of course, it has taken longer for some but if you estimate 2 months as a minimum, then hopefully you only have another month or so to wait. Good luck.
My wife (sponsor) was approved on the 20th Sep so hopefully end of Nov will hear something!!! Congrads on u getting passport request, must be so excited. Where in canada u going to? We are going to toronto
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

My wife (sponsor) was approved on the 20th Sep so hopefully end of Nov will hear something!!! Congrads on u getting passport request, must be so excited. Where in canada u going to? We are going to toronto
I spent my teenage years in Kamloops, BC and that is where we are headed first. After that, we hope to find a place either near there or perhaps near 100 Mile. We are both retired and so do not need to look for jobs - just a nice place to settle.

Good luck with your PR and moving to Toronto. My folks were there for a few years but I don't know it too well. They lived in Cabbagetown and my best memory of TO was the Marche. I think it's called Rivertree Market Restaurant and if you downtown TO and want a good meal, it is worth a try. Good food but fun as well.

After growing up in BC, I have always been prejudiced against Ontario but I'm sure it can't be that bad .
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:42 pm
Aberdeen to Vancouver

RandomlyGenerated is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RandomlyGenerated
Okay, now I'm worried! Just received an email from the CIC saying:
Subject: File: [file number] [my name]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:55:32 +0100
To: [my email address]

Dear [my name],

This e-mail is regarding your application for permanent residence.

Please be advised that your passport was returned to our office marked "Not called for".

Please provide your correct mailing address for return of your passport.

Yours sincerely,
ACD
Immigration and Medical Services Division | Direction de l'immigration et des services médicaux
Canadian High Commission | Haut-commissariat du Canada
38 Grosvenor Street
London, W1K 4AA | Londres, W1K 4AA
United Kingdom | Royaume-Uni
I've searched online for what "not called for" means, but I can only find stuff about applicants not being called for an interview - nothing about passports. I've sent them an email, but now I'm totally stressing out about what I've done wrong.

Has anyone had this email before?
I replied to yesterday's email with my mailing address (as requested), but also asking what they meant by "not called for" and explaining that I received an email from them on 20th September asking for my passport, photos and the updated information chart.

Today...
Subject: RE: File: [my file number] [my name]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:58:27 +0100
To: [my email]
Dear [my name],

Thank you for your e-mail. Your passport will now be re-sent to the address below.

Please be advised that you must sign for the package.

Yours sincerely,
ACD
So I guess I just have to wait to see if I get a passport with a visa attached or just my blank passport returned!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

sky_summers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi Fidget, Looks like I am in the same boat as you... My sponsorship application was received on the 8th July 2011... A decision was made re: sponsorship on the 9th September and the file sent to London the same day. My application status for perm residency now states "medical results have been received" Hopefully this means they are close to a decision! Sooo nerve wracking waiting. Did you send your medicals ahead of your application? I've only seen people with status changes about medicals after actually being sent for a medical... Not when they've submitted them with/ahead of the application. Fingers crossed we hear some good news soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.