British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

Sofi Jan 26th 2011 7:56 pm

Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Hello,

I have been looking into the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Programme, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about the Strategic Initiative Stream.

This is what it says online:

Strategic Initiatives
Strategic Initiatives are undertaken at the discretion of the MPNP in accordance with program needs and available resources. You are eligible to apply if you:
• participated in an exploratory visit to Manitoba, confirmed by the MPNP, and had an interview with a MPNP officer,

or
• were interviewed by a MPNP officer and received a letter of invitation to apply as part of a MPNP targeted overseas promotional initiative, How do I find out about this? Does anybody have any ideas?

or
• have the support of an ethnocultural community organization in Manitoba that will help you arrange an exploratory visit that has been pre-approved by the MPNP

Advice very welcome :)

Thanks,
Sofi

GC44 Jan 26th 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Hi Sofi.

Manitobain is the poster who probably knows more about this than anyone. Chances are she will be along in the next day or two.

Good luck.:thumbup:

Sofi Jan 26th 2011 8:36 pm

Thank you GC44. I'll keep an eye out for Manitobian.

:)

manitobain Jan 27th 2011 1:15 am

lol.. and here I am :)

I just looked up the strategic stream info again..and am startled as I can't see the regional/community component, which was how our region was able to make use of this stream. Now I wonder how worried I should be.
I just sent an email to my contact for this stream at PNP, to see if this is really the case ..keep fingers crossed that it isn't.

Up to now it was the way that by getting in contact with regional or community development officers and the interest in that certain area could help you to get such an invite for exploratory visit. These were mostly given for rural areas in MB and it always depended also on education/experience and employability ..never mind the funds.

Will keep you posted.

What kind of work you do, if u don't mind me asking? And are you interested in the rural area of Manitoba?

Ilse

manitobain Jan 27th 2011 1:19 am

addition to last post: I don't think MB has participated in any overseas initiative the last few years (last one I know of was nurses from philipines in 2007 or 2008)

GC44 Jan 27th 2011 9:44 am

Hi Sofi,

Have sent you a PM, check it out :).

manitobain Jan 28th 2011 1:45 am

ok, doublechecked and nothing has changed...whewwww.

so, the way to go for the strategic stream is still to get in contact with regions in Manitoba (economic development officers or immigration/settlement officers if available), get informed about the region and what it has to offer and they can then help you to get an approval for an exploratory visit (if all conditions for the stream are otherwise fitting)

You can find the regional immigration offices and partners on the www.immigratemanitoba.com or feel free to PM me.

cheers
Ilse

Sats72 Mar 10th 2011 10:33 am

Hello all, just wondering what occupations is required for the Strategic Initiative? My family and I would like to move to Manitoba in the future, and actually would prefer to move to a rural community, but neither of us our skilled workers.

My wife has worked in retail for 20 years, and I've done all sorts of jobs :) like a jack of all and master of none. On the general stream my wife scored 54 points, but if she could get sponsored by a rural community it could give her 59 points.

Going by the little info above, would we stand any chance or are we kidding ourselves?

Rossman Mar 10th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sats72 (Post 9230333)
Hello all, just wondering what occupations is required for the Strategic Initiative? My family and I would like to move to Manitoba in the future, and actually would prefer to move to a rural community, but neither of us our skilled workers.

My wife has worked in retail for 20 years, and I've done all sorts of jobs :) like a jack of all and master of none. On the general stream my wife scored 54 points, but if she could get sponsored by a rural community it could give her 59 points.

Going by the little info above, would we stand any chance or are we kidding ourselves?

You need to visit rural manitoba , meeting possible employers and community people. quote from Manitoba immigration website for strategic stream criteria :

Seven criteria for exploratory visits to Manitoba

1. You are between the ages of 21 to 49.

2. You have completed a minimum one-year post-secondary education or training program for which you received a diploma or certificate.

3. You have worked at least two years in the past five years in a full-time occupation and can demonstrate that you could be employable in Manitoba in that occupation within the first year of permanent residence in Canada.

4. You can demonstrate a minimum of six points in English or French based on the Manitoba PNP language grid and/or a minimum score of five on an IELTS exam (International English Language Testing System).

5. The MPNP is satisfied that you do not have stronger ties to other provinces in Canada and have good potential to settle permanently in Manitoba.

6. You must contact the MPNP at least two months in advance to discuss the possibility of an exploratory visit.

7. The MPNP agrees before you arrive in Manitoba to have an interview with you during your exploratory visit ►

Sats72 Mar 10th 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the reply :) I think 1 - 4 we're fine, it's 5 - 7 that are in the hands of MPNP.
How do we convince MPNP that we have what it takes to settle in Manitoba? What steps do we need to take, or who do we contact to start the process?

manitobain Mar 11th 2011 2:12 am

Heh sats, try this:
convince me that you should be the one being allowed for an exploratory visit.
What makes you employable (both of you)? do you know what you can earn in your occupation in Manitoba and can you make a living out of it?
Which area of Manitoba have you looked at?
Why would you want to live in rural Manitoba...do you know what it is like? Have you been in Manitoba before (or in Canada)?
Do you have family/friends in Canada and if so, where?
Do you have sufficient funds ($10,000 for main applicant, $2,000 for every dependant) ?

When you said you went through the point system of the general stream, would you have 2 ppl giving you an affidavit?

you don't need necessarly be a skilled worker on the list, but somehow you need to show why it would be good for MB to allow you in and that you will stay permanently. I can probably help you when it comes to community connections, if you are interested in visiting MB...but let me hear first your arguments :)

cheers
Ilse

Sats72 Mar 11th 2011 1:00 pm

Hello Manitobain, thanks for the reply :)

Well my wife (37) has 20 years of retail experience. She's very good at her job, she has references and certificates that she has received for her customer services skills. She has some qualifications in Sage Accounts and Bookkeeping.

Well me (38) I've a college qualification in the hospitality sector BII (British Institute of Inn keeping) I worked in that sector for about 10 years. Then after I've worked as an Editorial Assistant, Library Assistant, Correspondence Assistant and also in Accounts Receivable. These jobs where all under the same company, hence the jack of all master of none comment. :) The career I'd pursue in Manitoba would be as a Truck Driver, I've got a LGV class 1 licence but not much experience in that occupation so far.

We have no connection to Manitoba. On the general stream this is were we fail. We have looked into Manitoba, simply because the province comes across as very inviting, as if they want immigrants to apply. I also read that Manitoba has more sunshine than any other province which is another plus for us. (our climate is nearly always cloudy with rain:thumbdown:) Morden is the town we've looked at most, their video for the town states virtually no crime, this is definitely a plus. We as a family would like somewhere peaceful to live, where our children have better opportunities with more outdoor activities available.

The settlement funds we don't have, but we own our home outright, (mortgage free) if we were to ever be granted pr, I'm sure we could sell and have the funds needed to settle.

I have a cousin that lives in Ontario, and some other distant relatives living in Canada but I've no idea where, or if they could/would help us.

Again thanks for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

manitobain Mar 11th 2011 7:48 pm

Hey Sats,
don't take this personally, as I really only want to show you the weak side to work on:
"Well my wife (37) has 20 years of retail experience. She's very good at her job, she has references and certificates that she has received for her customer services skills. She has some qualifications in Sage Accounts and Bookkeeping."
Sorry to say, but most likely this will not count for much here. Retail work is considered low skilled (apart from manager positions), employers train ppl usually hands-on, so while she might be easily employable, I don't think she stands a chance as main applicant. I am not in retail, so don't know if the above accounting program is used here, but general knowledge in accounting/bookkeeping is never bad.

"Well me (38) I've a college qualification in the hospitality sector BII (British Institute of Inn keeping) I worked in that sector for about 10 years. Then after I've worked as an Editorial Assistant, Library Assistant, Correspondence Assistant and also in Accounts Receivable. These jobs where all under the same company, hence the jack of all master of none comment."
This might have more potential. Would need to know more about the kind of work you did while in hospitality and how long ago that would have been.

" The career I'd pursue in Manitoba would be as a Truck Driver, I've got a LGV class 1 licence but not much experience in that occupation so far."
Forget that as an start! a) you need to redo your trucking license, which is clearly not for free and b) without experience you have very low chances of getting hired coming new to the country (of course you can do what you want, once you have PR...)

"We have no connection to Manitoba. On the general stream this is were we fail."
yup.

"We have looked into Manitoba, simply because the province comes across as very inviting, as if they want immigrants to apply. I also read that Manitoba has more sunshine than any other province which is another plus for us. (our climate is nearly always cloudy with rain)"
:) you made a good case there

"Morden is the town we've looked at most, their video for the town states virtually no crime, this is definitely a plus. We as a family would like somewhere peaceful to live, where our children have better opportunities with more outdoor activities available."

Great that you looked already at different towns/places. Pluspoints there :) You will find the same being true for almost every small town in Manitoba. I am from a different area in Manitoba check out www.town.rossburn.mb.ca , we have added outdoor activities through the approximity of the Riding Mountain National Park...otherwise usually the biggest crimes are those darn speeding tickets ;)

"The settlement funds we don't have, but we own our home outright, (mortgage free) if we were to ever be granted pr, I'm sure we could sell and have the funds needed to settle."
This is where you would fail! You HAVE to be able to show settlement funding when applying for PNP. You can use though your house to do that, if you have it assessed and the value can be proven at least as high (preferable higher) as the settlement funding needed. You have to show though too, that the funds are easy accessible, which would mean in your specific case, probably a letter from the bank saying that they would lent you the needed amount against the house, if need be.

"I have a cousin that lives in Ontario, and some other distant relatives living in Canada but I've no idea where, or if they could/would help us."
Forget them. It will be hold against you if you have family in Ontario, but you apply for PNP in Manitoba, chances that you stay permanently in MB is considered lower in that case. Cousin is far enough out, that you don't need to mention them..especially if you don't have much contact with them.

If your heart is set on Morden, do contact the immigration/settlement contact over there. I know they are usually very busy, as their amount of immigrants is way higher than ours (lot of immigrants from Germany), do mention the strategic stream right away. Strategic stream works through communities, contact with communities prior to contacting PNP is essential.

If you like our area, you can give me as well a PM

hope this helps a lil

Ilse

GC44 Mar 11th 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Sats72,

I can only echo how Manitobain describes Morden, extremely Germanic. We visited last August and although a nice area we felt a little out of place. In the last 15 years or so this area has had a major influx of Germans. I think this region was originally settled by Germans and Mennonites (Amish who smoke, drink, oh and speak a dialect of German). Looking at a map of the area is not unlike looking at a map of Germany, check out the place names Winkler, Schanzenfeld, Reinland etc.
I am not anti German (I lived there for 5 years), but just be aware you may not want to focus on an area until you have been there yourself. As Manitobain says Manitoba has numerous communities as nice as Morden with just as much to offer, if not more.

Best of luck.:thumbup:

jamesmc Mar 11th 2011 8:47 pm

yup, we live not far from morden and dont think its that german! winkler is a lot more german /religious a lot of mennonites actually come from paraguay...
if you go a little west ,, manitou, la riviere,,pilot mound...,,,,,,then larger town carman,,,then .....somerset,very nice place people also,lol.
most jobs are by word o mouth..
.rural manitoba needs more emigrants /new blood as the last wave of post war people are retired ,,:thumbup::thumbup:james