British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

NostalgiaLava Nov 12th 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

@manitobian I sent an email to the imm center in Winnipeg explaining about exploratory visit and the invitation letter. But two days now no reply. Any other settlement services in Winnipeg you know of. Otherwise I will have to take the risk of applying for the visa without inv letter.

manitobain Nov 13th 2011 4:30 pm

@NostaligiaLava : I sent you a PM...

Inder.chhabra Nov 14th 2011 11:13 am

I'm Also taking this risk ....can i do smthin for this Manitobian ???

Pls help

manitobain Nov 14th 2011 3:24 pm

@Inder.chhabra: what is your profession and where in Manitoba do you plan to settle?

Inder.chhabra Nov 14th 2011 6:35 pm

@ Manitobian .... i am currently working as a sales and marketing manager in a steel manufacturing company in India ....though i still have loads to reseach about my resettlement plan in Manitoba....but at first...im looking at Winnipeg....

manitobain Nov 14th 2011 7:23 pm

..in that case I am suggesting to make contact with the Portage La Prairie settlement office (an hour away from Winnipeg) and maybe try as well Brandon (Westman Immigration Settlement Services), you can find them via the immigratemanitoba.com website (arriving in Manitoba section).
Winnipeg itself is very hard to make contacts to it seems, Portage might be a very good alternative. Or, you write to potential employers, if they are interested, they might give you such an invitation letter as well?

Ilse

Inder.chhabra Nov 14th 2011 7:54 pm

Surely @ Manitobian ...im onn with the thingie...but i think ....they could rather help me with some job offer laters...than an invitation letter helping the visa process.... fingers crossed XX

jamesmc Nov 14th 2011 10:09 pm

I hope you are joking!about them finding you a job rather than an invitation letter.
some people.
sorry but its not up to the government to find anyone employment least of all an immigrant.
jimmy:blink::blink:

manitobain Nov 15th 2011 12:33 am

@Jimmy, you must have misunderstood. I talked in my last sentence about employers..and think Inder is referring to that portion..

Ilse

Inder.chhabra Nov 15th 2011 11:29 am

@ Jimmy ...i truly understand that it isn't possible for me to get a job offer...i ws just talking about an invitation letter mate...and also ...m not even sure about that .... :)

@ Manitobian .... i just mailed sarah about my interview dates...as some documentation and visas would take smtime ....so i have asked for a time period ...that is 1st or 2nd week of january ... and she agreed upon it and asked me to write back after all the bookings are done ... and provide her with a certain date....

further ...i just need to ask ...that is it a right time to come there....as in ...is there any chance or some public holidays ...? or any closures....or any adverse weather in that time frame ??? ...hmm just need to be sure about everythn now :)

Cheers !!

Centrino78 Nov 15th 2011 12:38 pm

@ Inder.chhabra

Depends what you call adverse weather, I have never experienced an average winter month in Winnipeg but in the UK an average winter month is around +4c in Winnipeg it will be around -23c if not colder !!

see http://www.livingin-canada.com/climate-winnipeg.html

To me that is adverse, but quite the norm to Winnipeg.

All public holidays are listed on the Manitoba website.

If you want to see what you will be living in and the difficulties it will cause, it will be a perfect time to visit.

manitobain Nov 15th 2011 2:52 pm

lol.. agree Centrino. No better time than winter to find out if you are made for Manitoba ;)

I would aim for the second week of January, not the first one. Offices are working slowly first week with some ppl taking extended holidays (plus there is Ukrainian Christmas on ..mm.. I believe January 8..not official holiday..but all those who have the slightest ukrainian background will celebrate ..lol..and invite their non-ukraine friends)

Weather..one never know. You can have the best weather as you can have a big snowstorm. Usual saying in MB: if you don't like the weather, wait an hour ;)
If you want to go out of the City of Wpg, do consider strongly to rent a car..I would even do it within Wpg..but thats me.

Inder.chhabra Nov 15th 2011 4:28 pm

Cool !! Thx Centrino and Manitobian ... Seems like it is Cold !! yaah !! bt nyhow ... i cant wait for summers though :p ... so .. wht is there is the best policy fr me !!! just duin the preparations nw !! need sm luck fr the Visas nw !!!

Nd yaah ...im probably looking for a Furnished room smwhr in the city and close to other conveniences ...and also ...the immigration office !! im already onn with the classifieds for that ....anybdy with any tips...pls...

Thnx all ...nd please keep updated abo ny info ...tht wud b a real help :)

Cheers

Inder Chhabra

manitobain Nov 15th 2011 4:57 pm

@Inder : best thing I can recommend to stay during your exploratory visit, is a B&B in Winnipeg. Their is also a hostel in downtown, but you can learn more about people by staying at a Bed&Breakfast.

You should start preparing your online application, especially have a look at all the documents you need, get translated what needs to be translated and so on. You need reference letters from employers, which can take a while to get.
Once you receive the invitation to apply at the end of your visit (if the interview is positive), that is the last document you will need to send it off.

I have advised Portage Settlement, that they might receive requests for support letter. They have to bring it to the attention to a committee and will then get back to you.

Violets are blue Nov 15th 2011 9:18 pm

Hi Inder-Chhabra, we stayed in B&B (two different ones) and it was great. If you look up bed and breakfast in manitoba it lists the winnipeg ones on websites. Where we stayed was very close to all of the places you might need to go to such as immigration meeting, shopping, the attractions and if you like walking its easy enough to get to some of the places by walking but will take a while (although im not sure its the best idea in cold weather :)). I would go along with Manitobain and say you would most definitely benefit from having a car in the city area also as it makes it very easy to get around and you can visit lots of different neighborhoods to look at houses/places to live/work. The people who owned the Bed and breakfasts were fabulous and helped with everything and were full of information. They knew about all of the areas and gave their opinion on all of the different aspects of life in Manitoba. We came out every morning after having a really lovely breakfast so full and late because we all chatted so much. It was lovely.
Centrino78,i love the idea of your inflatable chairs (you could roll them up and put them in the suitcase :)) and your icicles on the windows made me laugh, i grew up in the west of Ireland and we had gale force 9 frequently and sooo much rain and the odd hailstone just for good luck :). Cant wait for winter in Canada - my friends think i will freeze to death :D. Lucky Im a little more confident :D