British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

manitobain Sep 3rd 2011 9:34 pm

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

@Violets: how old is your daughter?

Public transportation only if you stay directly in Wpg, otherwise a car is strongly suggested!
The Forks is a neat place to visit, maybe the boat is still running, not sure. There is a bunch of supposedly good museums (sorry..not the museum typ of person) and the MTS Centre, which offers concerts and hockey and such things (mind you, think there is NO hockey ticket left for this season, due to the fact that we just got a National Hockey League Team back into the city)

If you don't mind driving and seeing some more of MB (and want to include horseback riding), we are situated at the South West Corner of the Riding Mountain National Park and do trips on horseback with guests. As it looks like, we probably won't have accomodation available..but there is a new B&B right on Rossman Lake, with newly immigrated Brits as owner.

Just had earlier this afternoon around our table sitting ppl from 3 different countries, all here on various stages of the strategic stream. One being nominated and having his WP now...one having done his interview 6 weeks ago and having a WHV (so he staid right away, as he found work) and one rather nervous couple having their interview end of next week. If that isn't multiculturalism ;)

cheers
Ilse

Violets are blue Sep 3rd 2011 11:15 pm

Ohh my gosh thank you both so much for giving me such good advice. I will remember to get some business cards and collect things as i see people and try and get some letters from people i visit. I have spent today getting some of my paperwork together. I already had been collecting certs and stuff over the past couple of months, lets hope I dont forget something :D!! Im printing off the rest of the forms to fill in this weekend also. I made contact with a work place and have to get back to them Tuesday to try and arrange a day to go there and have another phone number to contact another work place on Tuesday also. Im going to do a mixture of both public transport and drive..:thumbsup: :D. mix both of your ideas together :). Its really nice to know that so many people are doing so well on the strategic stream and to think one guy just stayed...that is soo good :D. I feel for those who have their interview next week!!!!! They must be both tired (from trying to fit everything in while they are there) and a little nervous too, I hope it goes really well for them. It must have been a little like a United Nations get together :D. I will certainly try to come to that area, it sounds lovely and would be great to see it. My daughter is 21 and going into her last year at University (undergrad), so she is going to visit university there and talk to the student services people to see if there is a post-grad course she wants. She has checked their websites already but really wants to go and talk with people also. We have also spent today looking on the web for hotels but havent decided on one yet...Its now really very exciting...:eek:

manitobain Sep 3rd 2011 11:33 pm

..hint when printing out forms: the mpnp application kit is at the moment not up to speed. You will need to fill out the new PR form IMM 0008 Generic and the background form has very slightly changed as well (get these forms from the www.cic.gc.ca website directly...ignore the rest of instruction though that is on there, as this only comes into place once you have PNP). PR application needs to be filled out online, you get a serie of barcodes once you validate it and print it out afterwards.

Good way to stay is B&B's, usually far more personal and a wealth of info on the area (might be bit tricky in Wpg itself, not that many around I think)...and info you want :)

Sounds as if your schedule is falling into place...don't forget to have fun !

Violets are blue Sep 4th 2011 12:04 am

Thanks Manitobian, i have just looked at the forms on the cic website and opened them up for a look. Im glad that you mentioned about them, it doesnt look too difficult but will take a little bit of time so will do that tomorrow.
I had a quick look at B&Bs, there are a few, not many like you said, but I sent a couple of e mails to see if they are available and they look nice. :)

manitobain Sep 4th 2011 1:35 am

you are right , not difficult, once you put your mind to it. with the PR forms it is important that you cover every month of your working time and where you have lived (on the background form)

Violets are blue Sep 5th 2011 12:05 am

:D I knew i should not have said those forms look pretty straightforward, ohh my gosh, all my addresses and the months i started and finished jobs...i could be sitting at this computer for a lifetime :). :D. I sure hope I finish before its time to leave the country!! :D :D

manitobain Sep 6th 2011 12:00 am

lol...it's down memory lane to complete it all? ;)
I am sure you will manage...all those immigrants before you did so as well :)

(but it is good to start early on it...as you can see)

Violets are blue Sep 6th 2011 9:26 pm

Its so much fun...:D I have managed to get all my addresses and work places and have a lot of dates, just a few more to figure out...its the month thing that is a bit of a killer :confused:, the years are fine and the information is fine....the month and date...wow its hard!! To be sure its something to start very early :thumbup:.
On the good news part, we have booked flights, bed and breakfast and now in the middle of attempting to get the work visits sorted but because of the holiday weekend some people were not there so still pushing through with that one. I really hope it falls into place over the next couple of days...not long :eek:. Im also just trying to figure which car to hire...im thinking a nice chunky suv, that way i will be up higher and see better :D:D. Sorry i have strange sense of humour. ;). We are both excited now and hoping that the weather holds out good over there. Im looking to find a realtor to look around homes in Stony Mountain/Stonwell areas and other places around there but i am guessing this might not be too difficult....but i remember saying that about the forms :D. Im now blind and brain dead from the computer, forms, looking for somewhere to stay and thinking too much :blink:. Im so grateful for your help and really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

manitobain Sep 6th 2011 11:30 pm

chunky suv? lol might be a good choice, all those realtors you will visit with it, think you have enough money that way ;). They usually try to be as visible as possible, so it really shouldn't be too hard to locate them, once in the country.
This week they announce sunshine and temps in the high 20's (C), mind you it can change fast.
And yeah...yesterday not a lot of ppl worked, therefore it has been double crazy today.
How long will you stay in MB?

mnp305 Sep 7th 2011 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 9604281)
Its so much fun...:D I have managed to get all my addresses and work places and have a lot of dates, just a few more to figure out...its the month thing that is a bit of a killer :confused:, the years are fine and the information is fine....the month and date...wow its hard!! To be sure its something to start very early :thumbup:.
On the good news part, we have booked flights, bed and breakfast and now in the middle of attempting to get the work visits sorted but because of the holiday weekend some people were not there so still pushing through with that one. I really hope it falls into place over the next couple of days...not long :eek:. Im also just trying to figure which car to hire...im thinking a nice chunky suv, that way i will be up higher and see better :D:D. Sorry i have strange sense of humour. ;). We are both excited now and hoping that the weather holds out good over there. Im looking to find a realtor to look around homes in Stony Mountain/Stonwell areas and other places around there but i am guessing this might not be too difficult....but i remember saying that about the forms :D. Im now blind and brain dead from the computer, forms, looking for somewhere to stay and thinking too much :blink:. Im so grateful for your help and really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Violets:

when you are going to MB? Could you pls share your experience with us?

mnp305 Sep 7th 2011 5:30 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9604441)
chunky suv? lol might be a good choice, all those realtors you will visit with it, think you have enough money that way ;). They usually try to be as visible as possible, so it really shouldn't be too hard to locate them, once in the country.
This week they announce sunshine and temps in the high 20's (C), mind you it can change fast.
And yeah...yesterday not a lot of ppl worked, therefore it has been double crazy today.
How long will you stay in MB?

manitobain,

1. For the exploratory visit, what are the immigration officers looking for at the interview meeting normally scheduled at the end of trip? How many would-be employers we talk to? How about the community, schools, transportation, shopping malls, Italian food and American pizza? Parks, museums we visit? So on and so forth?
2. You mentioned earlier it is better to present application forms to them at the time of interview along with other support documents. Do you think it is too early to do this? I think we need to convince them we are employable and adaptable, and get nominated first, then we submit the forms and documents after nominated. I may be wrong and hope get your help on this. Thanks.

manitobain Sep 7th 2011 6:05 pm

"1. For the exploratory visit, what are the immigration officers looking for at the interview meeting normally scheduled at the end of trip? How many would-be employers we talk to? How about the community, schools, transportation, shopping malls, Italian food and American pizza? Parks, museums we visit? So on and so forth?"

All of the above (exclude the italian and american food ;) ). would-be employers are very important, community info as well. This all to show that you are well informed (and know what you are walking in to) and that you will find easy employment once here.
The one question that will for sure come up is: Why (on earth) did you want to move to Manitoba? You need to convince them why it is you want to come and why you will stay. Saying that un-employment is low isn't really cutting it for example.. as it is low in SK as well. Saying that you like the canadian lifestyle isn't either, as hence, thats all over Canada...if you get my drift :).

"2. You mentioned earlier it is better to present application forms to them at the time of interview along with other support documents. Do you think it is too early to do this? I think we need to convince them we are employable and adaptable, and get nominated first, then we submit the forms and documents after nominated. I may be wrong and hope get your help on this. Thanks"

You misunderstood something there, you need to hand in all application forms (read on strategic stream checklist) in order to get nominated! At the interview (if positive) you will get a letter of invitation to apply to the nominee program...not the nomination! If you get this letter, it means you have convinced them to be a right candidate for application...if you can hand at that moment all application forms in, you are one step ahead of the game (speeding up the process). Often enough they ask at the interview if you have filled forms out and they take a look at them if you did.
hope that helps
Ilse

NostalgiaLava Sep 7th 2011 6:50 pm

So what is it they want to hear regarding wanting to be in Manitoba?

Violets are blue Sep 7th 2011 8:34 pm

I will be in Manitoba from 13-22nd of Sept and with all I would like to do I really wish it was longer but alas...work...its very difficult to get time off. I am hoping that the weather holds out if sunshine is forecast.

I will be more than happy to share all my experiences with everyone but it may take a day or two to be 'normal' following my return flight. I will try and put something on here while im there...however no promises..but i will try.

I booked the suv earlier this afternoon and then saw the message...:D made me laugh lol.

Ive tracked down birth certs, school and uni certs, work information, managed to talk an ex manager into giving me a written reference in a hurry and located my old addresses with dates (one to go for date moved), I even found the post codes ;) and got my international driving permit...(hope they let me take the car as i only have my old paper licence - i never changed to the card one and its too late now!! If anyone knows if this is okay I would be grateful?).

Just another couple of pieces of paper to track down, no doubt I will forget something :rolleyes:. Im just about ready to fill in the background declaration :thumbsup:. I didnt want to do it without everything in front of me.

It is really really difficult to make work appointments from here, between working, the time difference and trying to catch people, I am really hoping that it all comes together by Friday :unsure:. Not long :eek:

I've got my interview date!!!!! Its Sept 21st :thumbsup: I have no idea exactly what I will say when I am asked questions but I have looked at so much information about Manitoba and I am really hoping that it feels as good as it seems when i am there...or i will cry...lots..... :( but im very very sure it will :D and hopefully be even better than i think!!

christmasoompa Sep 7th 2011 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by NostalgiaLava (Post 9606098)
So what is it they want to hear regarding wanting to be in Manitoba?

Whatever *your* specific reasons are, surely? And no, saying 'it's easier to get in to than BC' won't count. ;):lol: