Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by evelyned
Goods to follow list, I am just a little confused with the WIKI.

I am a returning resident and lived in England for the past 8 years so everything I have was bought in the UK. We are waiting for my husbands PR but we are only in the early months. The house is sold "subject to contract" and I thought it was best to put the list under my name so I wouldn't pay duty on it but WIKI seems to say the opposite. Or am I just too tired from packing up and completely misunderstood it??

"However, a returning resident will be charged duty on the possessions that he/she acquired abroad or the goods that he/she is bringing back to Canada but which he/she did not register with the Canadian government before departing.

If a returning Canadian resident did not register with the Canadian government a list of goods that he/she removed from Canada, and if that former Canadian resident will be returning to Canada with a foreign spouse, it is in the couple's interests to list their possession's on the foreign spouse's Goods To Follow list. The reason is that the foreign spouse, as a new settler, will be entitled to bring his/her belongings into Canada duty free. (For more information about Goods To Follow lists, see the information for New Settlers, below.)"

Leaving in 6 days and my brain is fried...
Ok, this doesn't seem right to me. My impression from the customs info that the shipping company gave me was that a returning citizen wouldn't pay duty on the goods, provided that there was no single item over a certain value, and that the goods had been in use for 12 months or more. And I thought I had read something somewhere else that said the same.

Please, please, someone correct me if I am wrong (we depart in 7 days and I'm in a very similar situation to evelyned, returning to Canada as a citizen with many years away, and the shipment in my name in case hubby hadn't got his PR in time, so I need to be sure too!)
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am a returning resident and lived in England for the past 8 years so everything I have was bought in the UK. We are waiting for my husbands PR but we are only in the early months. The house is sold "subject to contract" and I thought it was best to put the list under my name so I wouldn't pay duty on it but WIKI seems to say the opposite. Or am I just too tired from packing up and completely misunderstood it??

"However, a returning resident will be charged duty on the possessions that he/she acquired abroad or the goods that he/she is bringing back to Canada but which he/she did not register with the Canadian government before departing.

If a returning Canadian resident did not register with the Canadian government a list of goods that he/she removed from Canada, and if that former Canadian resident will be returning to Canada with a foreign spouse, it is in the couple's interests to list their possession's on the foreign spouse's Goods To Follow list. The reason is that the foreign spouse, as a new settler, will be entitled to bring his/her belongings into Canada duty free. (For more information about Goods To Follow lists, see the information for New Settlers, below.)"

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Ok, this doesn't seem right to me. My impression from the customs info that the shipping company gave me was that a returning citizen wouldn't pay duty on the goods, provided that there was no single item over a certain value, and that the goods had been in use for 12 months or more. And I thought I had read something somewhere else that said the same.

Please, please, someone correct me if I am wrong (we depart in 7 days and I'm in a very similar situation to evelyned, returning to Canada as a citizen with many years away, and the shipment in my name in case hubby hadn't got his PR in time, so I need to be sure too!)
bsf5087: Moving Back to Canada

Ownership, possession and use requirements

To qualify for duty- and tax-free importation, you must have owned, possessed and used the goods for at least six months prior to your return to live in Canada. The six-month stipulation is waived if you have been away from Canada for five years or more.

Replacement goods are also exempt from the six-month requirement. To qualify for the exemption, the goods must be replacements for goods that would have met the six-month ownership, possession and use requirements, except for the fact that they were lost or destroyed as the result of a fire, a theft, an accident or another unforeseen circumstance. In addition, replacement goods must be of a similar class and about the same value as the goods they are replacing.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html Returning to live in Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 29th 2014 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:49 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for the wiki article specifically for returning residents, which I could have sworn someone liked me to when I landed back, but I cannot for the life of me find it... so instead I'll just tell you what I did.

I was gone from Canada for just over 5 years. So when I filled out my landing card, I put that my date that I left Canada was 2008. I told the immigration officer that I was returning to Canada after 5 years and needed to be processed as a returning resident. She asked if I had a Goods to Follow, I said yes. She said no problem, scribbled some stuff on my form, and sent me off. I picked up my bags, then sent for secondary processing (from the guy where you land in your landing card with the scribbles). Went around to the customs officer, chatted with him for awhile, showed him my Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow forms, got it all stamped, and that was that.

I didn't register any stuff when I left - I *THINK* (but am not certain) that the whole register thing is only if you are gone for a short period of time and are bringing back a bunch of stuff... but since I'd been gone for awhile I obviously had a bunch of stuff I'd acquired in the UK.

Anyways, I had no problems doing it that way, so that would be my suggestion for you!

ETA: Siouxie, who is amazing, beat me to it. I couldn't find the wiki article because it wasn't the wiki - it was the link that Siouxie posted! Use that.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:55 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Yeah finding more as I keep digging, will need to arrange all 3.
You will not have to arrange those tests. The DMP will tell you where to go for them.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Okay I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for the wiki article specifically for returning residents, which I could have sworn someone liked me to when I landed back, but I cannot for the life of me find it... so instead I'll just tell you what I did.

I was gone from Canada for just over 5 years. So when I filled out my landing card, I put that my date that I left Canada was 2008. I told the immigration officer that I was returning to Canada after 5 years and needed to be processed as a returning resident. She asked if I had a Goods to Follow, I said yes. She said no problem, scribbled some stuff on my form, and sent me off. I picked up my bags, then sent for secondary processing (from the guy where you land in your landing card with the scribbles). Went around to the customs officer, chatted with him for awhile, showed him my Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow forms, got it all stamped, and that was that.

I didn't register any stuff when I left - I *THINK* (but am not certain) that the whole register thing is only if you are gone for a short period of time and are bringing back a bunch of stuff... but since I'd been gone for awhile I obviously had a bunch of stuff I'd acquired in the UK.

Anyways, I had no problems doing it that way, so that would be my suggestion for you!

ETA: Siouxie, who is amazing, beat me to it. I couldn't find the wiki article because it wasn't the wiki - it was the link that Siouxie posted! Use that.
Ok great, just don't want to have to pay duty taxes on ALL my husband's DVDs and CDs that HAVE to come with us... Because obviously DVDs are very important you know.

PrairieChicken, good luck with the move I think you are going on the same day as me but on the other side of the country. Hope the packing is going well.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have amended that part of the Goods to Follow section of the Wiki to reflect this.

Thanks Schnookololly!

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I have amended that part of the Goods to Follow section of the Wiki to reflect this.

Thanks Schnookololly!

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Thanks for the info Siouxie

Just to clarify do I need to fill in Form B4?? JUST KIDDING!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:23 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You will not have to arrange those tests. The DMP will tell you where to go for them.
I thought if you were applying via the outland route you needed to have your medical completed prior to sending of the application?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:29 pm
Banned

I thought if you were applying via the outland route you needed to have your medical completed prior to sending of the application?

You do. What JH meant was that the DMP will give you the documentation required for the other tests and where to go to get them done when you attend their office for the medical.

Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:33 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You do. What JH meant was that the DMP will give you the documentation required for the other tests and where to go to get them done when you attend their office for the medical.

Ah yup agreed! Booked my blood tests already though will use documents they give me tomorrow from medical.

I am needing to rush everything now, I had planned to go to Houston so no need for PR in Canada but that fell through yesterday. Now I have 12 months to get my docs together and apply! Stressful!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:42 pm
Banned

Ah yup agreed! Booked my blood tests already though will use documents they give me tomorrow from medical.

I am needing to rush everything now, I had planned to go to Houston so no need for PR in Canada but that fell through yesterday. Now I have 12 months to get my docs together and apply! Stressful!
Not sure that you will be able to use a booking of your choice - the DMP will have a specific company/clinic they will require you to use. I would give them a call and double check, or else you are going to be paying out twice.

Sorry to hear your other app fell through...

Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Ok great, just don't want to have to pay duty taxes on ALL my husband's DVDs and CDs that HAVE to come with us... Because obviously DVDs are very important you know.

PrairieChicken, good luck with the move I think you are going on the same day as me but on the other side of the country. Hope the packing is going well.
5th August! We are headed to Van Island. We are packed already (left our home 27th June and have been housesitting/staying with friends since then). I am fed up with that now - making the most of seeing people but living out of a suitcase is horrible.

Best of luck with your move - let me know how it all goes
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:34 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is the procedure in all spousal sponsorship cases. Some people overlook it and then have to take it after submission, thereby losing some processing speed of course.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Siouxie

Just to clarify do I need to fill in Form B4?? JUST KIDDING!
Actually you don't need to fill out the B4 form. Having experienced them being filled out by a regular traveller then all I can say is I feel sorry for some CIC officers when they receive various applications
CBSA will fill it out for you. You can either supply a spreadsheet or word document as a goods to follow list or use the B4A CBSA form.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:43 pm
Weegie in Calgary

IMM3901E asks for "PHOTOS -Supply eight (8) recent photos for each member of your family and yourself...."

So they require photographs of my Mother, Father, Step Mother, Step Sister and Step Brother? Seems pretty ridiculous or does this just extend to "Family Members - Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.