Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:12 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by cresta57
Brief update;
We had a bit of a squall blow through on Saturday lunchtime, 16mm of rain in about an hour. It looked like more on the way so we started to prepare for a big storm bringing in all the loose items from the veranda. Half way through that the storm hit and we had torrential rain and howling winds. We lost the door of the beer fridge as well as the cupboard that sits on top of the fridge[ I had to throw out a few salad items to be able to get all the beer into the housefridge, who cares how much lettuce is when beer is getting warm ]. A tree in the yard was struck by lightening, just the thunder was enough to knock out the power and phones for 24 hrs.
The storm only lasted about 30 mins and in that time we had a further 83mm of rain. If the pump had been working I'd have celebrated with a nice long bath

The ultimate Australian esky, or Cresta's new fridge????
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-668389_38_full%5B2%5D.jpg  
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:35 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>pity about the beer fridge will have to just drink it warm in future.
<<

Rinse out your mouth!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a minor altercation with the next door but one neighbour this morning; he reckons my fridge door has damaged his trellis and people can now see onto his deck where his spa sits. He's so far away even the guy next door would be hard pressed to catch a glimpse of anyone. Anyway at least I've found the door though he did briefly say he was keeping it as he intended to sue me for the damage .
After I stopped laughing I pointed out that the trees he planted were the ones that brought down the power lines causing the power outage and that everyone would just love to hear who was responsible so they could sue him for the loss of all their defrosted Christmas tucker.
He relented and let me take it away with me, it's now re fixed complete with a hasp and staple & lock.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I had a minor altercation with the next door but one neighbour this morning; he reckons my fridge door has damaged his trellis and people can now see onto his deck where his spa sits. He's so far away even the guy next door would be hard pressed to catch a glimpse of anyone. Anyway at least I've found the door though he did briefly say he was keeping it as he intended to sue me for the damage .
After I stopped laughing I pointed out that the trees he planted were the ones that brought down the power lines causing the power outage and that everyone would just love to hear who was responsible so they could sue him for the loss of all their defrosted Christmas tucker.
He relented and let me take it away with me, it's now re fixed complete with a hasp and staple & lock.
God, life in Gympie is better than Dallas
Does the fridge still work
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
God, life in Gympie is better than Dallas
Does the fridge still work
Ohh yes Mmmm
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh yes Mmmm
Phew, what a relief! Just find some better protection ofr it before the next storm arrives........
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:37 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a weight off our minds... .
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:24 am

Phew, what a relief! Just find some better protection ofr it before the next storm arrives........
So much for global warming news would have us believe this is the coldest QLD Xmas since 1888 and it's still peeing down.

But guess what not enough to fill the dams though.... http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1818496.htm

Last edited by annqldau; Dec 27th 2006 at 9:29 am.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:58 pm

See UK is having a stormy time of it http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...561350,00.html

Bet all that rain they are expecting misses the dams as well.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:36 am

Question Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

They are working on that one. There is a limit to how much can be done with warning for a storm like this one though - it got very savage very quickly. At least with something like Larry we could see it coming several days ahead and could track it as it headed for landfall.

Notice the melting, hot, dripping weather is back looks like high risk of a few storms tonight???

Clouds already brewing over Moonie, have gone from an odd blip to bigger clumps...

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR502.loop.shtml

Last edited by annqldau; Jan 12th 2007 at 3:13 am.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stormy Weather

Our SES guys were out to midnight last night, only stopped then because ordered to for fatigue management. ...staggeringly large request for tarpaulins (several hundred) to be sent up from the warehouse down here.
Can't say I didn't warn people. If playing with tarps and making cups of tea is your thing then join SES.

Or, join the 3rd Emergency service - Queensland Rural Fire Service where it all happens. and you'll be back in bed with a cup of hot chocolate and the missus all starry-eyed. :-)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Notice the melting, hot, dripping weather is back looks like high risk of a few storms tonight???

Clouds already brewing over Moonie, have gone from an odd blip to bigger clumps...

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR502.loop.shtml
Last half of Jan & the first half of February (give or take a bit) are always the worst in Brisbane because of the humidity. Second half of Feb is usually humid, but it is often just a fraction cooler as well, so a bit more bearable. Rest of summer is a doddle compared to Jan/Feb.

This summer has been particularly mild (& very dry).

At our house last years rainfall was less than 750mm - the yearly average for Brisbane is between 1200 & 1300mm. It has been a similar pattern in SE Qld in the last few years. Is it any wonder we have water restrictions?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:51 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

So much for global warming news would have us believe this is the coldest QLD Xmas since 1888 and it's still peeing down.

But guess what not enough to fill the dams though.... http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1818496.htm
our dams are full
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by youngy73
our dams are full
Ours still aren't not that it bothers me too much as I'm on tanks (full tanks at present) but I like to listen to the way the media and politicians rant and rave about it but don't make tanks for everyone compulsary.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
our dams are full
it's still peeing down.

You see thats the difference I think - somehow expats think that if we get a bit of drizzly weather that it's "peeing down" . No way, no how is 15mm of rain considered "peeing down" its just drizzle that does nothing except dampen the ground a bit!

2 or 3 inches (50-75mm) in a day is "peeing it down" & we need about 2 weeks worth of those sort of days to fill the dams down here.

Next!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.