Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old May 9th 2014, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
I have been backwards and forwards throughout the entire passport renewal site regarding countersignatures....they had several opportunities to include crystal clear advice for people who would need to do this...and didn't. This tells me that it isn't a gaping over site but, more...the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. I think the intention was to cut down the need for countersignatures....but some clerks along the way...didn't get the memo.
I'm going to tackle this thread and see what actual percentage of people are being held up do to countersignature ambiguity...God help me! <humor helps>
I need a countersignature for my application because I am renewing one of the old blue passports that expired years ago.

If you are renewing one of the newer style passports, I don't believe you need it.
Old May 9th 2014, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

As for the countersignatory for my application, I am using a U.S. citizen. Has anyone else used a U.S. citizen for their countersignatory and did you have any problems with the passport office or any delays because you used someone who is a U.S. citizen and not a British or Irish citizen?
Old May 9th 2014, 7:46 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
As for the countersignatory for my application, I am using a U.S. citizen. Has anyone else used a U.S. citizen for their countersignatory and did you have any problems with the passport office or any delays because you used someone who is a U.S. citizen and not a British or Irish citizen?
Don't know about US citizens, Windsong, but I used an Italian citizen. I enclosed a copy of his passport. They did not contact him. Did it cause a delay? With this new system, I've no idea. Took nine weeks to replace a stolen passport.
Old May 9th 2014, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

you do not need a countersign if it is for a child under i think 11 but dont quote me on the age (will try to dig it out). I read it on their website. Friend of mine replacing lost passport used a Filipino he knows here in China and they didnt bother contacting him and got his passport back in 7 weeks.

EDIT

Ok here i was wrong. It sais

If the form is for a child passport, the countersignatory should know the person who signs the declaration rather than the child.

Child passport photos

The countersignatory must:

know the person with parental responsibility who’s signing the application form
be able to identify the child

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Last edited by johno5175; May 9th 2014 at 9:51 am. Reason: update
Old May 9th 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Occupations

Countersignatories must work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’, eg:

accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank/building society official
barrister
chairman/director of limited company
chiropodist
commissioner of oaths
councillor - eg local or county
civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for Her Majesty’s Passport Office
dentist
director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer - with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary - eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
licensee of public house
local government officer
manager/personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
nurse - RGN or RMN
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
person with honours - eg an OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer - professional
police officer
Post Office official
president/secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher, lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent - qualified
valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers
Old May 9th 2014, 4:24 pm
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ll let you know. Spent another $60 to get my new paperwork to Durham by Wednesday. Called them yesterday and they still knew nothing. Useless turds. It may be 2015 before I can give you definitive answer at this rate.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
I’ll let you know. Spent another $60 to get my new paperwork to Durham by Wednesday. Called them yesterday and they still knew nothing. Useless turds. It may be 2015 before I can give you definitive answer at this rate.
Is $60 how much it cost to send it by FedEx or DHL?
Old May 11th 2014, 7:09 am

It was FedEx. DHL was about $46 if I booked and paid online, but I didnt have time to set up an account so I sucked down the extra expense. USPS was also about $46 but they were 3-5 days compare to 2-3 days
Old May 11th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
It was FedEx. DHL was about $46 if I booked and paid online, but I didnt have time to set up an account so I sucked down the extra expense. USPS was also about $46 but they were 3-5 days compare to 2-3 days
Horrendous cost but I will pay it. I don't want to extend the renewal process any longer than absolutely necessary.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:15 am

Horrendous cost but I will pay it. I don't want to extend the renewal process any longer than absolutely necessary.
Horrendous indeed. considering this is the second package mailed to Dunderheadland, I mean Durham at $60 a pop. Add to that the $160 i’ll have to pay for an emergency travel doc this week as it’s likely my second mailing was in vain and my passport will not arrive in time. Add to that the original $150 or so I spent on the passport application. Thats almost $450 for documentation. Outrageous.
Old May 13th 2014, 9:03 am
Just Joined

9810rachel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well just a little update on their service.. They have now had my passport 7 weeks, it finally moved to the examination floor..However this morning the progress team have advised it could take three weeks to be processed by the examination team due to backlogs they have (after that it still needs printing, checking and sending) so all it all it would look like the service is now 10 weeks minimum. It would seem it is the internet applications effected by this. Its a shambles.
Old May 13th 2014, 5:06 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 9810rachel
Well just a little update on their service.. They have now had my passport 7 weeks, it finally moved to the examination floor..However this morning the progress team have advised it could take three weeks to be processed by the examination team due to backlogs they have (after that it still needs printing, checking and sending) so all it all it would look like the service is now 10 weeks minimum. It would seem it is the internet applications effected by this. Its a shambles.
Shambles indeed. This is putting people in the difficult situation of living in a foreign country without their nation identity papers.
Old May 13th 2014, 6:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Starting to appear to be a re-run of summer 2011. Interesting to see if and when the media will show interest again.
Old May 14th 2014, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Starting to appear to be a re-run of summer 2011. Interesting to see if and when the media will show interest again.
I certainly hope the media does show interest again. Twelve weeks on average to renew a passport is absolutely insane.
Old May 15th 2014, 9:05 am

Update: Got a phone call from the passport office this morning at 4am. She told me that my passport had been processed and submitted (for printing I assume) and that I should have it in my hands in 5 days. The tracking number will be in the system shortly, but apparently I should have my passport by the time I get a tracking number.

Heres hoping. I aint trusting nuthin until I have that sucker in my hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.