Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

After 3 years we leaving

After 3 years we leaving

Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 3 years we leaving

my husband went for his citizenship interview this morning and was told his aplication had been denied. He was accused of not declaring all the dates he'd been outside the country - yet when he checked the week the woman was referring to was from 6 years ago, not the 4 years that were in the time frame for his application. He was also told he spent too much time travelling overseas. He works for a Canadian company who send him overseas as part of his job. He has spent the correct number of days in the country though to qualify for citizenship. When he tried to point all this out to the lady doing the interview she started shouting at him and told him to go away and do his homework before applying again I am just so sick and tired of CIC and what they've done to my family
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
my husband went for his citizenship interview this morning and was told his aplication had been denied. He was accused of not declaring all the dates he'd been outside the country - yet when he checked the week the woman was referring to was from 6 years ago, not the 4 years that were in the time frame for his application. He was also told he spent too much time travelling overseas. He works for a Canadian company who send him overseas as part of his job. He has spent the correct number of days in the country though to qualify for citizenship. When he tried to point all this out to the lady doing the interview she started shouting at him and told him to go away and do his homework before applying again I am just so sick and tired of CIC and what they've done to my family
So at which point did hubby demand to see a supervisor and ask for an apology, coz i cant see any one just sitting and letting them be accused of such things with out arguing back ?????
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
So at which point did hubby demand to see a supervisor and ask for an apology, coz i cant see any one just sitting and letting them be accused of such things with out arguing back ?????

to be honest, he said he was so shocked it completely threw him. CIC have just phoned the house now though with a reference number and asked for him to phone them back so we shall see what happens next.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstya
Well the books out in June in the UK with harper collins, Canada still TBD (surprise surprise) so not all bad. I have that to look forward that and moving to Italy.
I can understand why you're leaving, but moving to Italy and paying their taxes when you have a book deal seems a bit strange... personally in that situation if Italy was my thing I would have moved to the southern part of Switzerland. And they're in Schengen now, so no immigration paperwork.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
But PRs grow up to be citizens
The whole thing about contacting MPs really gets up my nose, because I did manage to get my MP to help me in certain situations but it was a struggle, and my MLA is a joke. To some extent I'm sure it was because they looked on the electoral roll and saw I wasn't on there, I seem to remember the MLA's secretary saying that to me at one point.

However since I was granted citizenship I get endless phone calls asking me to vote for whomever in the PC leadership election.

I note my MP, who happens to be the Minister of Immigration, still hasn't sent me my congratulations letter for being granted citizenship.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
to be honest, he said he was so shocked it completely threw him. CIC have just phoned the house now though with a reference number and asked for him to phone them back so we shall see what happens next.
Let's hope it turns out correctly, that's awful.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I believe this basically the same the world over when it comes to immigration
I remember when I lived in the US and I had to go to the INS office to collect some paperwork. Anyway that paperwork was time sensitive and this was back in the days before the web so I got a letter saying to speed things up you might want to contact the service centre for your area and find out if they have passed the documentation on by internal mail, so you can get it faster.

I phoned up the service centre. I was on hold for SEVEN hours. The conversation lasted less than two minutes: "Has it been sent out?" "Yes, it will be there by now." "Where have I got to go?" "This is the address..." "Thanks."
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I note my MP, who happens to be the Minister of Immigration, still hasn't sent me my congratulations letter for being granted citizenship.
Would you really wish to waste taxpayers' money by him doing so?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It is not sent automatically, did you check the box on the application form that you wanted one?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I've found CIC to be unreliable - different day different person different advice.......

I've had a federal government department telling me provincial government have got it wrong then provincial tell me the opposite and that federal don't know what they're doing and I'm just caught in the middle.......

Last weekend just a simple exercise to change the address on a car registration and driving licence resulted in the registry staff unable to explain a policy and suggesting I write to the MLA as it isn't the registry's fault......
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

There a lot of people on this forum, who have not had to deal with CIC problems, and therefore simply cannot get there head around how badly people are being treated. The bottom line is that CIC need to get there act together. There are problems with the system, and how it is administered. I nearly lost my rag with a CIC official in nova scotia last week. Imagine you were applying for emergency processing of a PR card the first week of August and it is still not here. What happened to 6-10 business days. The bear cheek of the case handler to ask me if I dont get my card in time, do I mind it going back in the normal processing queue. I can understand why people do give up on living here with the hassle that we have to endure. As I say it is fine for those who have never experienced problems. I have issue with the poster being made out not to be giving the full fact. There are a lot of judgemental people on here who think posters make up what they write on here. CIC are smart, no names, no direct numbers or a central number anywhere. Fax numbers that dont work or are engaged!!! Not to mention the losing of things, or send you something you didnt ask for. So I am sorry if I sound upset but I know how bad CIC really can be. They are inhumane, and humanity need to be put back into the system. This poor family have to pack up everything and start again, what a waste. The system is all designed to keep you an your money in Canada.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:40 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
There are a lot of judgemental people on here who think posters make up what they write on here.
Well, she does say she makes things up for a living.

(That is a joke!)

The system is all designed to keep you an your money in Canada.
If it is it has spectacularly failed in the OP's case.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is not sent automatically, did you check the box on the application form that you wanted one?
Yes I did.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Would you really wish to waste taxpayers' money by him doing so?
The reason I did it was to make him aware that I am actually a citizen, I get this impression I got the brush off sometimes because they couldn't find me on the elector's list.

But don't worry, he's only the Minister of Immigration...
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by jimf
I've found CIC to be unreliable - different day different person different advice.......
Same as with any govt. agency here. Gave up with the CRA long ago, just send in the paperwork and if they disagree they'll get back to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.